Stupidest Question Ever

dirwuf

Can a MLB team choose to wear their grey uniforms at home, has anyone ever done it?

No I'm not smoking pot...I just like hypotheticals.

Only the Tampa Bay Devil Rays when playing the Yankees in Japan can do such a thing.

Technically, no they cannot. The rulebook states that teams must wear white at home and "some other color" on the road. However, it seems to me that MLB is rather lax on its enforcement. I think they must be very liberal in what they accept as "white", especially in this age of dark alternate jerseys. I can only assume that as long as a dark jersey is worn over white pants, the uniform "qualifies" as white. So to answer your question, perhaps a team could wear a grey jersey and white pants, or vice versa.

As a little side note, the 1983 sox uniforms were the result of a fan submission contest. One of the designs in the finals featured a home jersey that was gray on the top half, white on the bottom half, and with white pants. The away was the reverse of this. Sports Illustrated had a feature on it back then...

LT

I read somewhere that back pre-WWII, the occasional home team would wear grey, but MLB brought the white/grey into existence because road teams didn't want to have to bring both sets of uni's on the train.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong. It's entirely possible too.

Isn't this in Paul Lukas' wheelhouse? Shouldn't he be answering this question in a Uni Watch column?!

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

As a little side note, the 1983 sox uniforms were the result of a fan submission contest. One of the designs in the finals featured a home jersey that was gray on the top half, white on the bottom half, and with white pants. The away was the reverse of this. Sports Illustrated had a feature on it back then...

I remember seeing a commercial during a Sox game on WGN for that contest. For those who think those early-mid-'80s unis were bad, you should have seen the other choices. One had, if I recall correctly, white and lime green horizontal stripes -- it looked like a short-sleeve rugby shirt.

Packers-2.png

I remember seeing a commercial during a Sox game on WGN for that contest. For those who think those early-mid-'80s unis were bad, you should have seen the other choices. One had, if I recall correctly, white and lime green horizontal stripes -- it looked like a short-sleeve rugby shirt.

Yep, the winner the sox adopted was actually one of the more conservative designs. IIRC there was one that resembled the Houston rainbow unis but with a blue field in place of the rainbow and an orange "number star". Another eggshell colored away jersey had a wordmark reading "ChicaGo". Yes, the "Go" part was emphasized.

LT

I wish someone could give me a date of that Sports Illustrated. I have every issue dating back to 1982 and could dig it up with a little more information.

I only wish this picture was in color...

dscn029326jm.jpg

Do you really, lol...

Yep those are the ones. I did notice there was some tweaking going on from the original concepts, to the models, to the final product. For instance, notice the 2nd from the left. That was of course the winner. However, it is even more gaudy then the actual design that was worn on the field. I believe I remember the original designer being a bit disappointed it was modified a bit.

LT

I wish someone could give me a date of that Sports Illustrated. I have every issue dating back to 1982 and could dig it up with a little more information.

I would love to see that. Eriqjaffe's scan above is from the White Sox Encyclopaedia I think. SI had some of the original drawings. It was 82 I believe, and it had the Sox (I believe Greg Luzinski on the cover). My memory isn't perfect, but I think the title was something like "Catch the Sox' new Sock". It was fairly early in the season, too - probably May or June. Good Luck,

LT

EDIT: it was the June 8, 1981 issue, sorry. My other details were correct though. Here is the cover:

http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/si_online/covers.../1981/0608.html

Can a MLB team choose to wear their grey uniforms at home, has anyone ever done it?

No I'm not smoking pot...I just like hypotheticals.

Only the Tampa Bay Devil Rays when playing the Yankees in Japan can do such a thing.

The D-Rays actually wore their BP jerseys for those games.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Archived