Throwbacks Tonight

jtsteward

wow, sorry Milwaukeans, but that was a really stupid idea. Pilots makes much more sense. The atlanta braves should be able to wear throwbacks for any of THEIR incarnations, but another team shouldn't (making an exception for the local Negro League and AAA throwbacks). add one more, Mets wearing NY Giants gear whenever SF comes to town?

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Part of the Braves-throwback reasoning was that they're doing a couple of salutes this weekend, one to former Braves player Johnny Logan (who was included on the team's salute to the 50s Braves inside Miller Park) and one to Bob Uecker (who, of course, played for the Braves in Milwaukee).

So in that way, it makes sense. Screwy though it does look.

And I'd love to see them try a 1930s Brewers throwback.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Can someone tell me why the game is being blacked out in in Wisconsin? It's on TBS. Why would TBS want for Milwaukee fans to go to Miller Park?

Because if you're in Wisconsin, you wouldn't be watching it on TBS, you'd be watching it on whatever channel the Brewers are on.

They do the same thing when the Red Sox play the Braves, TBS gets blacked out here, because we're supposed to be watching NESN.

Yes, normally I wouldn't be so mad, but they were showing boxing on FSN, which is the channel for Brewers games.

wow, sorry Milwaukeans, but that was a really stupid idea.  Pilots makes much more sense.

The two aren't mutually exclusive - they do Pilots throwbacks, too.

You're forgetting that the Milwaukee Braves were staggeringly popular, and remain so.

The city's never really forgotten having the team ripped from them. Only Brooklyn has been in a similar circumstance in recent memory, losing a baseball team for financial reasons over support (in Milwaukee's case, it was moving to a larger television market. In the Dodgers' case, it was a fight over a publicly subsidized stadium). It's like had the Cleveland Browns been allowed to move to Baltimore - the Cleveland fans would have remembered that for generations as well.

If only Fred Miller hadn't died in that plane crash....

If only Bud had offered to buy the name from Ted Turner when Ted tried to rename them the Atlanta Eagles....

It's like had the Cleveland Browns been allowed to move to Baltimore - the Cleveland fans would have remembered that for generations as well.

Umm...the Browns did move to Baltimore. Except that unlike in the Braves' and Dodgers' situations, the NFL did the right thing and forced Art Modell to leave the Browns' stuff (name, history, etc.) behind.

To use a more personal example, it would be like seeing the Carolina Hurricanes do a Whalers throwback night (but of course, they can't do that).

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

It's like had the Cleveland Browns been allowed to move to Baltimore - the Cleveland fans would have remembered that for generations as well.

Umm...the Browns did move to Baltimore. Except that unlike in the Braves' and Dodgers' situations, the NFL did the right thing and forced Art Modell to leave the Browns' stuff (name, history, etc.) behind.

Officially the Browns did not move to Baltimore.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

wow, sorry Milwaukeans, but that was a really stupid idea.  Pilots makes much more sense.

The two aren't mutually exclusive - they do Pilots throwbacks, too.

You're forgetting that the Milwaukee Braves were staggeringly popular, and remain so.

The city's never really forgotten having the team ripped from them. Only Brooklyn has been in a similar circumstance in recent memory, losing a baseball team for financial reasons over support (in Milwaukee's case, it was moving to a larger television market. In the Dodgers' case, it was a fight over a publicly subsidized stadium). It's like had the Cleveland Browns been allowed to move to Baltimore - the Cleveland fans would have remembered that for generations as well.

I guess I'm saying that I am against the Braves v. Braves concept. It's nice that there is a fondness for the Braves in Milw., but I can't imagine the Indy Colts playing the Ravens in Baltimore with the Ravens wearing old colt unis. Obviously, both Milw. an Atl. agreed to this, but it is really strange since the Brewers were never the Braves, but they were the pilots. I think the Braves have the right to wear Atl, Milw., or Boston braves throwbacks, if they feel like it, but not another team. Certainly we can think of dozens of scenarios where this could occur in the THREE major sports, but is just not right. :therock:

savedpictures013-1.jpg

But the Browns DID move to Baltimore. They were allowed to leave their history behind, but they did in fact move to Baltimore.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

But the Browns DID move to Baltimore. They were allowed to leave their history behind, but they did in fact move to Baltimore.

according to nfl leauge records the browns took a hiatus and the baltimore ravens were an expansion team.

according to nfl leauge records the browns took a hiatus and the baltimore ravens were an expansion team.

Grrr. The NFL wants to brainwash us into thinking Modell didn't punk the fans of Cleveland. <_<

6uXNWAo.png

No, the NFL just needed a way to keep the old Browns records, stats, names, and colors. On paper, moving the team would move the records, the stats, the name, the colors, etc., but by placing the Browns in a dormant state and forcing Art to create an expansion team in Baltimore, the City of Cleveland was able to retain all those items previously mentioned. We got punked and everyone knows it, including the NFL, they just couldn't do anything to stop it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

No, the NFL just needed a way to keep the old Browns records, stats, names, and colors. On paper, moving the team would move the records, the stats, the name, the colors, etc., but by placing the Browns in a dormant state and forcing Art to create an expansion team in Baltimore, the City of Cleveland was able to retain all those items previously mentioned. We got punked and everyone knows it, including the NFL, they just couldn't do anything to stop it.

Jim Brown, Bernie Kosar, and all the old Browns from back in the day are still a part of what is now the Ravens frachise and whatever the NFL tries to do or say about it will ever make me forget, and I even hate the Browns and Ravens.

6uXNWAo.png

Jim Brown, Bernie Kosar, and all the old Browns from back in the day are still a part of what is now the Ravens frachise and whatever the NFL tries to do or say about it will ever make me forget, and I even hate the Browns and Ravens.

No, they aren't. You might like to think that they are, but they aren't. The two are separate franchises.

The Browns never actually moved to Baltimore. For once, the league stepped in and did the right thing.

Makes sense that football would do this. The Browns aren't the only franchise to go on hiatus, although it's been a long time since another one's done that.

No, they aren't. You might like to think that they are, but they aren't. The two are separate franchises.

The Browns never actually moved to Baltimore. For once, the league stepped in and did the right thing.

Makes sense that football would do this. The Browns aren't the only franchise to go on hiatus, although it's been a long time since another one's done that.

I understand both points, but no matter what the ruling was, the players, coaches, and executives that were employed by the Browns one year were employed by the Baltimore Ravens the very next year.

If the NFL wanted to call the Ravens an "Expansion Team" then why didn't they make them start from scratch like the Browns 2.0 had to? It's just semantics, but it's important to make the distinction.

They Ravens may have left behind the the Browns' history and nickname, but they took everything else :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think the Brewers should wear the Pilots uniforms in Seattle, because if you'll remember, the Orioles wore Browns stuff a couple years ago when they came to St. Louis for a 1944 World Series throwback day, and that was pretty cool...why not?

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Here's a photo of a Brewers/Pilots TBTC game from 2000, when they hosted the Chicago White Sox (in their 1969 uniforms):

jimmy610.jpg

If they really wanted to be accurate, the Pilots should have been the road team and the ChiSox the home team. Would've been an interesting throwback as well - show the home fans the road uniform!

Archived