Donation "challenge" for all pro athletes

Jigga

Deion wants all pros to donate $1K to Katrina relief. Forgive me if I've been asleep at the wheel and missed any previous posts, if so, please bounce into the electronic oblivion.

Anyway, I'm wondering what you guys think about this. Is Deion grandstanding or is this his way of stepping up and urging others to do the same.

Note: If you read the entire article, there are all kinds of interesting tidbits, including a little blurb on the wearabout of Fats Domino!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I wholeheartedly agree with Deion on this for a change. I don't think it's too much of a hassle for professional athletes to donate $1,000.

Except for T.O. and Latrell, they can't feed their own families... ^_^

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

I ain't a Prime Time fan..never have been..

However, this time, I'll applaud him.

I hope these guys meet Deion's challenge and then some.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Except for T.O. and Latrell, they can't feed their own families... ^_^

That is so true. Some athletes like T.O. need to put some bread on the table first. ^_^

I mean, at least some ramen...his kids are starving!

I know. His salary is a lot, but after taxes, a couples new mustangs, a few trips to Vegas and four new mansions, he just can't afford some of the basic necessities.

I don't like Deion the Player, but I applaud this move. Personally, $1000 is a little bit on the low side for guys who make tens of thousands of dollars per at bat, or per rebound, or per touchdown. But his point is valid - $1000 from thousands of athletes is millions of relief dollars. Throw in money from the billionaires that own the teams the millionaire players work for, and a lot of good could be done for a lot of people who need it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I couldn't agree more...this is a great move by Deion. Right now we need all of the help we can get, and many athletes have already stepped up and contributed to relief efforts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

AM.gif

I don't like Deion the Player, but I applaud this move. Personally, $1000 is a little bit on the low side for guys who make tens of thousands of dollars per at bat, or per rebound, or per touchdown. But his point is valid - $1000 from thousands of athletes is millions of relief dollars. Throw in money from the billionaires that own the teams the millionaire players work for, and a lot of good could be done for a lot of people who need it.

If you base it on average salaries, $1000 for football players is like $35 bucks for us regular folks. If people think athletes should pony up $1000, make sure they put up their $35, too.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well if all pro athletes in the NFL,NHL,NBA,MLB and even some of the richer golfers, tennis players and Nascar drivers, etc.... all give their share, New Orleans is gonna get over one million dollars right there, and that will REALLY help.

Well if all pro athletes in the NFL,NHL,NBA,MLB and even some of the richer golfers, tennis players and Nascar drivers, etc.... all give their share, New Orleans is gonna get over one million dollars right there, and that will REALLY help.

and if the average joes each give 35 dollars, that's a hell of a lot of money, too. i just want to make the point that people look to athletes and say they have a moral obligation to give, but if they do, so do us average joes. we can't all give at least $1000 like we expect them to, but most of us should at least be able to spare 5-10 bucks.

Archived