ACC Football redesign project

dgnmrwrw

This is going to be the start of something I've wanted to do for a while: examine the helmets and uniforms all 12 members of the ACC. I had already produced a couple, so I decided that I will just go ahead and finish them all.

Note that all the designs I present are what I would prefer to see that school wear. So some of them will change very little or not at all, some will change drastically, some could potentially be adoptable, and some would never ever have a chance to see the field.

I'll be presenting these one-at-a-time, geographically from north (Boston College) to south (Miami). But I'm going to start just by showing off my helmets, and (hopefully) getting some feedback on them.

ACChelmets.jpg

Some notes:

Boston College: Classic. No changes necessary.

Maryland: I don't like the retro-ish white "Terps" helmets they've started using. Actually, I like them, but I don't like how poorly they work with the Under Armor uniforms. This black one is very similar to one that they wore in the late '90s. I think their black and red work well together, and I've always thought the all-black looked slick.

Virginia: What they have now is very nice. Great use of color. But I do not like the two Titans-esque stripes. So I replaced it with one traditional orange stripe.

Virginia Tech: Great as they are.

Wake Forest: Again, I like what they have. Resisted the temptation to go to a gold helmet.

Duke: I really don't like the new white helmet with the D. They have a great shade of blue, they should use it. Also changed back to the old "Duke" wordmark that I always liked.

Carolina: Really nice as is.

NC State: Ditto. (Go Pack!)

Clemson: Essentially what they have now. The only change is actually a slight tweak of the purple. It now has much more blue in it, which will be more apparent on the uniforms.

Georgia Tech: Close to what they have now, but with a white facemask and stripes.

Florida State: Wouldn't think of touching it.

Miami: Same as Florida State. Perfect as it is.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only comments I can really make would be to maybe use more red for the Terps, and I know you said that you like the Duke script, but I have always found that way too High School looking.

VmWIn6B.png

So...basically this wasn't much of a redisign at all seeing as you only changed, and I use that term loosely, a handful. Way to make me waste 45 seconds of my day! :)

if you read what he said, he said he's redesigning the uniforms. He's just showing what he would of done with the helmets. Alot of them are too good too touch

So...basically this wasn't much of a redisign at all seeing as you only changed, and I use that term loosely, a handful. Way to make me waste 45 seconds of my day! :)

You should have saved yourself another 45 and not responded like a dink.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

Nice job with the Maryland helmet. That would look damn good with the UnderArmour unis they have now.

Wake doesn't need a gold helmet, but they need something better than what they have now.

Can't wait to see your uniforms!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

why would you want to put blue in Clemson's Helmet being there school colors are Purple and Orange. they only sell their merchandise in blue because Purple doesnt sell that well.

as for the rest. i really think NCSU should have a red helmet to go along with their White one because it looks way too much like the Standford helmet from a distance.

didnt Duke use the royal blue helmets with that font on it right before they switched to the white ones? why not try putting the Devil on it or something?

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

why would you want to put blue in Clemson's Helmet being there school colors are Purple and Orange. they only sell their merchandise in blue because Purple doesnt sell that well.

as for the rest. i really think NCSU should have a red helmet to go along with their White one because it looks way too much like the Standford helmet from a distance.

didnt Duke use the royal blue helmets with that font on it right before they switched to the white ones? why not try putting the Devil on it or something?

I'm not changing the purple to blue, I'm just adding more blue TO the purple, making it less red.

Yes, Duke did wear something similar. I just really prefer that wordmark to the other logos.

Thanks for the feedback on the helmets, everyone.

A couple of notes before I post Boston College. I made 4 sets for each school, though I don't really believe some of them should be worn. Just did 4 for each in the spirit of continuity. Also, I don't have all the custom typefaces that all the schools use, so I'll use something close and make a note if I intend to use their custom typeface.

Kicking off, here's Boston College.

BC.gif

As with the helmet, not much of a change here. Mostly, I switched the Eagle logo on the sleeves to the BC Eagle logo. Also, added a single stripe on the gold pants to match the helmet (left the burgandy pants solid).

I would not want to see the home alt, but the road alt might be a nice change from time to time. Also, these numbers should be the custom ones that BC currently uses.

Pretty good BC :) By the way, Georgia Tech actually used that same helmet you came up with; they used it back in the late 60's and early 70's.

Good call. I had been using The Helmet Project as a resource, but I must have missed that one for Tech. Looks like they used it 1967-68 and 1972-73. It had a gray facemask.

Pretty good BC :)  By the way, Georgia Tech actually used that same helmet you came up with; they used it back in the late 60's and early 70's.

Good call. I had been using The Helmet Project as a resource, but I must have missed that one for Tech. Looks like they used it 1967-68 and 1972-73. It had a gray facemask.

I remember seeing that on the Helmet Project, and in the Georgia Tech football media guide. :D

Kicking off, here's Boston College.

As with the helmet, not much of a change here. Mostly, I switched the Eagle logo on the sleeves to the BC Eagle logo. Also, added a single stripe on the gold pants to match the helmet (left the burgandy pants solid).

I would not want to see the home alt, but the road alt might be a nice change from time to time. Also, these numbers should be the custom ones that BC currently uses.

I was hoping for a little more on BC's uniforms. Ever since their rebranding a few years back, I haven't been a fan of the look. Everything is so slanted and ultramodern, but it is a traditional Catholic school with a traditional mascot. To me it always looked like they were trying too hard with this package. They try so hard to be unique that the numbers are difficult to read and poorly designed (the 1, 2, 4, 7 for starters). And with such a cutting-edge font and wordmark package, the helmet remains logoless, like Penn State or Notre Dame. There's just a lot to be desired IMO, and I'd remake them more than any school in the ACC (not that they should be there, but that's a rant for another day :rolleyes:).

As for Duke, please do the right thing. The school colors are blue and white, like in the fight song. Ditch the black, it never looked right, it looked forced a decade ago, and it looks forced now. Also, the "Iron D" represents Duke so well, I am glad they put it on the helmets again. I like the fact that they look good while they're being trounced by everybody else (and I can't believe I am giving up this much of my life discussing Duke, its football, or its uniforms... GO HEELS!).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived