NFL TV question

kurtman62

The AFC is on CBS

The NFC is on Fox

Monday night football on ABC

Sunday night football on ESPN

I believe that is how the TV contracts are

Next season Monday night football will be on ESPN

and Sunday night football on NBC, whille the AFC and NFC stay on their respective stations

Signature intentionally left blank

The AFC is on CBS

The NFC is on Fox

and Sunday night football on NBC, whille the AFC and NFC stay on their respective stations

That explained nothing regarding his question.

He asked: Why is it when there are inter conference ganes IE, Philadelphia at New England does Fox get the game even though it is in an AFC stadium?

I have no clue, maybe to mix it up a bit?

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

The AFC is on CBS

The NFC is on Fox

He asked: Why is it when there are inter conference ganes IE, Philadelphia at New England does Fox get the game even though it is in an AFC stadium?

my guess is $$$$.

The AFC is on CBS

The NFC is on Fox

my guess is $$$$.

How does that make them extra money?

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

The AFC is on CBS

The NFC is on Fox

my guess is $$$$.

How does that make them extra money?

I meant maybe Fox pays more for the rights to interleague games.

The television contracts for both CBS and Fox say that for interconference games, the visiting team's network will carry the game. (It's been that way ever since the merger, whether it was NBC and CBS, or NBC and Fox.)

Otherwise, CBS would never get to carry a game in an NFC stadium, and Fox would never be in an AFC stadium. And both networks want to broadcast games in as many markets as possible.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

The television contracts for both CBS and Fox say that for interconference games, the visiting team's network will carry the game. (It's been that way ever since the merger, whether it was NBC and CBS, or NBC and Fox.)

Otherwise, CBS would never get to carry a game in an NFC stadium, and Fox would never be in an AFC stadium. And both networks want to broadcast games in as many markets as possible.

mjrbaseball, for your explanation, you win the gregjigga5 "Damn, that actually makes sense!" award. Congratulations and keep making sense!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I really don't know why they decided to do it that way. Maybe it's because of the Thanksgiving games, where two NFC teams host games. If the networks had rights to all conference road games and one AFC team were to visit either Detroit or Dallas that Thursday, both would be able to televise a game on Thanksgiving. It would seem to me that both networks would want to televise interconference games when their conference is at home. That way, viewership would be more of a guarantee.

For example, what good would it do Fox to televise the Dallas-San Diego game should the Chargers not sell out the game? If a game does not sell out a few days prior to the game, it's blacked out in the local market. The people of San Diego would not be able to see their Chargers on Fox. However, they'd be guaranteed to see them when they visit the Eagles and Redskins later on this year. You would figure the San Diego Fox affiliate would want to televise Chargers-Eagles more than Chargers-Cowboys since road games are guaranteed to be on the air. The CBS affiliate in San Diego will get a lot of Chargers games anyway.

The only good thing that comes out of this is that both networks have a chance to broadcast from all 31 NFL sites (32 if you count the Jets and Giants separately). I'm sure CBS appreciates the opportunity to televise a game or two from Lambeau Field or Texas Stadium and Fox likes to bring us games from unique sites like Oakland, Denver and Kansas City. It's good for the networks on a national level, but not on the local level.

Whoever said it was so that each network gets to broadcast at least one game in every market was exactly right. Otherwise there could be an imbalance if for some reason a few big market teams from one conference decide to relocate to smaller markets. Then the contract that the network paid for that conference isn't worth quite as much. This way they "hedge their bets."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This should clear things up if everything above didn't make sense, which it didn't to me.

AFC Team at AFC Team - CBS

NFC Team at NFC Team - FOX

AFC Team at NFC Team - CBS

NFC Team at AFC Team - FOX

Unless the games are Sunday Night Football or Monday Night Football.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

WHEN EVER A TEAM FROM THE AFC IS ON THE ROAD AND PLAYING AN NFC TEAM, CBS IS THE NETWORK AND THE OPPOSITE WITH THE NFC AND THE FOX NETWORK.

THIS IS STRICKLEY FOR LOCAL BLACK OUT REASONS. THERE IS NO WAY A TEAM CAN BE BLACKED OUT IF THE NETWORKS TEAM IS ON THE ROAD. A THIS IS SO ADVERTISERS CAN'T CLAIM A REFUND AND THE NETWORKS RECOVER THIER COSTS.

With regard to Thanksgiving, I believe the AFC network always gets Detroit and the NFC network always gets Dallas regardless of visitors. I haven't kept track lately, but I can remember NBC's coverage of the Macy's Parade always led into the pregame show for the Lions game (back when NBC was the AFC network).

Since we're on the topic of networks and the NFL, with the Monday Night games going to ESPN next year, does that mean ESPN will carry the Super Bowl when it's their turn, or will it be on NBC who will take over the Sunday Night games, or will ABC still have it since they own ESPN?

It's gonna be on ABC this year, CBS the next, and FOX for Super Bowl 42, so maybe they'll wait and decide the new rotation and add both NBC and ESPN/ABC Sports when it comes time.

6uXNWAo.png

WHEN EVER A TEAM FROM THE AFC IS ON THE ROAD AND PLAYING AN NFC TEAM, CBS IS THE NETWORK AND THE OPPOSITE WITH THE NFC AND THE FOX NETWORK.

THIS IS STRICKLEY FOR LOCAL BLACK OUT REASONS. THERE IS NO WAY A TEAM CAN BE BLACKED OUT IF THE NETWORKS TEAM IS ON THE ROAD. A THIS IS SO ADVERTISERS CAN'T CLAIM A REFUND AND THE NETWORKS RECOVER THIER COSTS.

Just when we have seven or eight intelligent posts in a row, someone goes and screws it all up.

A team has 16 games...8 home...8 road...2 or 3 on the road against opposing conference. All 8 road games will never be blacked out no matter what channel it's on, so how does a refund come to play? If all 8 home games are blacked out, couldn't advertisers still ask for a refund?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't believe ESPN gets a "turn." It was 15 years into Monday Night Football before ABC ever got into the rotation, so the MNF carrier is not automatically given a SB slot, and I really don't see a time in the immediate future when a cable network will carry a Super Bowl, or should I say, I really don't see a time in the immediate future when at least one generally accessible broadcast network won't be showing the Super Bowl each year.

Archived