NFL coaches

mjrbaseball

Recently, the NFL rejected a request by 49ers' coach Mike Nolan to wear a suit on the sidelines. Nolan said a suit would make him look like "the man in charge," and he also wanted to wear it as a tribute to his father, a former Niners coach. The league said all coaches must wear official team attire.

This has been the rule for many years, but coaches who wore suits before the rule was instated were "grandfathered" in.

(Story in the San Francisco Chronicle. It was also mentioned in Paul Lukas's Uni Watch column.)

Apparently, the league wants to showcase the jackets and sweaters and sweatpants that the coaches wear for marketing purposes.

I think the league is actually missing out here. By allowing Nolan (or any other coach) to wear a league-approved suit, they are adding more products to their marketing closet.

So let's have coaches wearing suits in team colors:

sfsuit.gif

(OK, so it isn't all that creative. But at least I created a new template for people to play with!)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

this rule was put in place so that the NFL could sell more apperal. so when retail people are selling a sweater or something they can say.."yeah didnt you see, Coach Generic wearing that last night" and the poor sap of a customer buys it up. and really would anyone but that blazer? probably not. thank god they dont have to wear the uniform like MLB managers do

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Team-colored blazers make the coaches look like ushers or game show hosts. If the coaches want to wear suits, they should be just like NHL and NBA coaches: just a regular suit (no garish colors), and maybe a team-specific tie or vest underneath. I don't think it takes away from the game to see Doc Rivers in a simple, classy suit coaching a team wearing green and white.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Nothing says "Man In Charge" like a man in a suit.

This is a common sense idea.

And as mentioned, with 100 people on the sidelines, surely there's enough people wearing the rest of the sweaters, t-Shirts, and whatever else they can think of to flog to Joe Public.

Is that template in the Template thread yet?

I'm looking forward to having a play.

And I bet I'm not the only one.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Nothing says "Man In Charge" like a man in a suit.

This is a common sense idea.

And as mentioned, with 100 people on the sidelines, surely there's enough people wearing the rest of the sweaters, t-Shirts, and whatever else they can think of to flog to Joe Public.

I agree 100%. In an era where everyone laments the professionalism of professional athletics, what better way to regain that professional sense by having the "managers" wear suits.

Baseball managers, hockey coaches, and basketball coaches don't wear product on the sidelines. And for sure you can bet seeing Charlie Manuel's gut protruding under that Phillies jersey makes me want to rush right out and get one.

Oh, and that suit template is sweet, but shouldn't it overlap and have a couple buttons?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think NFL coaches in suits is a good look, but only when it's a crisp sunny autumn day. A guy wearing a suit in Miami in September, or a guy wearing a suit during a New England blizzard doesn't make any sense. NFL coaches are the only ones who have no protection from the elements, so from a practical standpoint what they wear now makes sense. Also, MLB coaches lead drills and throw batting practice, plus they are the only ones permitted to go on the field, so it makes some sense for them to wear uniforms.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

In theory, a good concept. But who wants to see Mike Sherman wearing either a gold jacket and green pants, or a green jacket and gold pants? For that matter, who wants to see Mike Tice wear a purple suit? Will Nick Saban have to wear an aqua jacket and orange pants, or vice versa?

If this were to ever happen, I predict every team would instantly adopt khaki and black as part of their color scheme.

Packers-2.png

Oh, and that suit template is sweet, but shouldn't it overlap and have a couple buttons?

You're right. It's fixed.

Is that template in the Template thread yet?

I'm looking forward to having a play.

And I bet I'm not the only one.

I don't have anywhere really to post it to get it on the template thread. I will e-mail it to anyone who wants. PM me. (It's in Illustrator format.) If someone wants to post it somewhere, just let me know.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

this rule was put in place so that the NFL could sell more apperal. so when retail people are selling a sweater or something they can say.."yeah didnt you see, Coach Generic wearing that last night" and the poor sap of a customer buys it up. and really would anyone but that blazer? probably not. thank god they dont have to wear the uniform like MLB managers do

OMG, can you imagine Mike Holmgren in that tight blue Seahawks scuba suit??? Or Bill Parcells in his 68-shades-of-blue Cowboys uni?? I would have nightmares for weeks.

On that note, I do think Joe Gibbs should be forced to wear the exact same clothes every single week, just like he wants his team to. And he doesn't get to wash them on weeks when they lose. :D

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

They don't have to be in team colours only.

And even if they make them, onceyou get past all the Black and Navy options, which look best in a suit, you've then only got a few Purples and Greens to find something tasteful for.

I don't say dress up Mike Tice in Purple jacket and Gold pants. He'd look like a pimp! But allow him the option of a nice Black suit.

Everyone knows who he's representing.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived