Giants Stadium field to be painted "SAINTS"

ebod39

Just heard on the news this morning that since it is supposed to be a Saints home game

the NFL is going to paint the Giants Stadium field with the Saints logos. Is this a first

for this type of thing. Aside from the obvious Jets & Giants sharing a stadium.

Has a team ever hosted another team and let them be the "home" team?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just heard on the news this morning that since it is supposed to be a Saints home game

the NFL is going to paint the Giants Stadium field with the Saints logos. Is this a first

The Giants aren't "letting" the Saints be the home team.

Last year the Chargers logos were painted in the end zones at Sun Devil Stadium when the wildfires around San Diego forced one of their games to be moved to Arizona.

But yes, it's rare to see an opposing teams' logo in the field art. I'm pretty sure the Kansas City Chiefs used to paint the visiting teams' helmet logo on the 45 for every game when they played in KC's Municipal Stadium. More recently, I remember a Seahawks endzone in the L.A. Coliseum and a Broncos endzone in Cleveland Stadium for AFC Championship games back in the '80's.

Not exactly the same, but last year when Hurricane Ivan hit southern Florida, the White Sox let the Marlins call U.S. Cellular field home for a few games - it worked out well, the Marlins had just finished up a series with the Cubs, and the Sox were out of town, so the park wasn't going to be used anyway.

FLA-MON_Scoreboard1.jpg

Come to think of it, that was almost exactly one year ago...

that's just nitpicking my choice of words, it was understood what was meant.

Um no, you said the Giants were letting the Saints be the home team, as if they were doing them a favor by "letting" them play in their stadium.

Um no, you said the Giants were letting the Saints be the home team, as if they were doing them a favor by "letting" them play in their stadium.

if you re-read what I wrote you'll notice I never said the Giants were letting

them be the home team. I said since it is supposed to be a Saints home game

they're painting the field. The question I posed was not about the giants

and saints specifically but possible other instances. There's no question they're the home

team this weekend, the schedule dictates it. But for a team to allow the field of their

stadium to be painted for the visitor is rare. So whatever word you want to use, letting, allow, defering, volunteering, the fact still remains the Giants will be the visitor in their own stadium

by their own decision (this could have been a neutral site game) They're "letting" them have full home field rights. They could've have said no to the field painting but they're being gracious hosts in a tough time.

and saints specifically but possible other instances. There's no question they're the home

team this weekend, the schedule dictates it. But for a team to allow the field of their

stadium to be painted for the visitor is rare. So whatever word you want to use, letting, allow, defering, volunteering, the fact still remains the Giants will be the visitor in their own stadium

by their own decision (this could have been a neutral site game) They're "letting" them have full home field rights. They could've have said no to the field painting but they're being gracious hosts in a tough time.

Why does it matter? Timeout for the both of you. Therebelas, you knew what the hell ebod was talking about. Ebod, dont waste your time to reply, we all knew what you meant. After your timeout, you both can go to recess and find bugs to stick down the girls' shirts.

i think it would be a nice gesture if the Giants somehow made it fell like a Saints home game by using their logo. However, I think it would be highly unlikely you would see their logo on the middle of the field or in the endzone. I think the cost would be a tad high and since you have basically two weeks, it would be rush.

My best guess would be leaving the NFL shield in the middle and put end zone stripes in the endzone. I do think the Saints will be wearing black. And this would be a good opportunity for the Giants to show off their new away unis to the home crowd.

when in doubt, look at NFL.com for details

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8845537

The west end zone will say "Saints" and feature the team's helmet logo. Team banners will be placed on the sideline walls. In addition, banners with the website address and phone number for the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund will be on the walls and the fund's logo will be screened onto the field on the sidelines near the bench areas.

i think it would be a nice gesture if the Giants somehow made it fell like a Saints home game by using their logo.  However, I think it would be highly unlikely you would see their logo on the middle of the field or in the endzone.  I think the cost would be a tad high and since you have basically two weeks, it would be rush.

My best guess would be leaving the NFL shield in the middle and put end zone stripes in the endzone.  I do think the Saints will be wearing black.  And this would be a good opportunity for the Giants to show off their new away unis to the home crowd.

They could hand out paper bags with AINTS written on them for fans to wear over their heads. :)

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Why does it matter? Timeout for the both of you. Therebelas, you knew what the hell ebod was talking about. Ebod, dont waste your time to reply, we all knew what you meant. After your timeout, you both can go to recess and find bugs to stick down the girls' shirts.

Thanks to your suggestion, I have detention the rest of the week and Monday and Tuesday of next week.

<--- Extends hand to the guy with the Sabres avatar

Archived