Question for all of you "authentic" fans out there

Howie_16

What should I do with my authentic "KOHO" Calgary Flames Red Jersey?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's the deal kids. NHL Hockey is back, and I'm pumped. I am a die-hard, long suffering, never wavering, non-bandwagoner Calgary Flames fan. I was handed a life sentence with no parole at the age of 9 when the Flames moved north from Atlanta.

For Christmas 2003, my girlfriend and my mom pitched in for an authentic red Calgary Flames jersey, complete with the "Koho" patch above the name bar and tie down fightin' strap. It was the first ever "authentic" I've ever owned.

Normally, I refrain from putting numbers and names on jerseys for a number of reasons. Players come and go, especially good Calgary Flames in the early 90's. Sometimes they even develop embarassing substance abuse problems. Plus, numbers and names cost money; money that I would prefer to spend on tickets and overpriced draft beer watching my team in person.

As you are all well aware, me and my red authentic jersey had a nice little experience in the spring of 2004. Being the non-bandwagon type, I owned Calgary Flames game pack tickets before it was cool to do so. I was given the opportunity to purchase the seats for the entire playoff run. The ticket department even offered to change my credit card round-by-round instead of asking for all the money up front. That got me, my buddies and the red jersey into every home playoff game. In fact, my jersey picked up a very small, barely visible cigarette burn from a first hand, looking at anonymous boobies, drinking in public "Red Mile" experience.

As the finals came around, I bought a SCF patch with the plan that I would get it put on the jersey AFTER the Flames won the cup, as I thought these patches would be near impossible to find in a week or so. Without dwelling on whether or not the puck actually crossed the line, I decided to put the patch into a frame with my SCF ticket stubs and decided to move on with the rest of my life.

As the 2005-2006 season draws near, and the Flames are moving to Reebok jerseys, these SCF are still being sold in the Flames souvenir store. My question you all is this: "Should I put the patch on the jersey, or did I make the right decision?" I'm leaning towards putting the patch on because, overall, it was a great run and the "Koho" jersey is now somewhat dated.

I thank you all in advance for participating in my poll and providing feedback.

My authentic white Mighty Ducks jersey I bought in March 2003 has just the 2003 Stanley Cup patch on it for now (which I bought separately on eBay the day after they clinched the conference). It does get some glares occasionally, probably not just from the Stanley Cup patch, which I've had at least 4 different sporting good store employees ask me about, but the fact that I'm wearing a Ducks jersey period, but I suppose glares of impression wouldn't be that many in the city in which the fad was born.

I hope someday to put the number 3 and the name SCANMAN (not Scanlan) even though it's been over two years since I bought the jersey. I just can't bring myself to put a name and number of a player on the back of it UNLESS it was a career player who never wronged the organization (like a Sakic or a Yzerman, but those are a rarity nowadays) or it is to honor a cool moment in history (like an Andreychuk black Lightning jersey with the 2004 SC patch on it).

And if I were to put a name and number of a player on the back of a jersey, I would only do it if it was the same size as the player (which usually differs from 52 through 58, and goalies are a whole other ballgame.)

That's just me though. You can do what you want with it, it's always gonna look cool and be a reminder of a great time in Calgary history.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

To me, part of an authentic being truly authentic are the personalization details, and making them as faithful to the genuine article as you can. The SCF patch commemorates a special season in your team's history. Heck - you've even got the cigarette burns and happy boob-filled memories to prove it. That the jersey is a KOHO dates it to that time. IMO, the manufacturer is the least salient detail of the jersey's authenticity, and since in this case, the manufacturer is correct for the era that you're considering immortalizing in the jersey, the point is moot. To top off the uniform as a memento of that special year, why not go with the captain and superstar of the team? I don't think Iginla wants to leave, and I don't think the Flames are going to move him. And he seems like a solid citizen and decent guy, so I don't think you have to worry about him ruining his public image and taking your jersey with it.

As a rule, I don't put my name or number on a pro jersey. My name and number only go on jerseys I earned the right to wear by making a team. You do what you want; it's your jersey. But I think making it an Iginla, down to the Cup patch, would be a great keepsake from a magical year.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

My vote: trick that jersey out.

Iginla's a class act all the way, and as much of a lifer for a team as can be found in pro sports these days.

Getting the SCF patch memorializes a great series.

The Flames red jersey is flippin' fantastic, and even the black numbers look great, I'd say get black lettering on it, too, just for the slightest touch of anachronism.

Most of my hockey jerseys are blank, but a few I've had done up as a tribute to the NHL years of some of my fave Wolves players. I also have a purple D-Backs jersey with Luis Gonzalez' name and number and the '01 WS patch. Perfect for the fan who can't decide who he hates more - the Cubs or the Yankees. :)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

My vote: trick that jersey out.

Iginla's a class act all the way, and as much of a lifer for a team as can be found in pro sports these days.

Getting the SCF patch memorializes a great series...

In retrospect, I wish I had added another choice to my poll:

"Leave it blank for now, put on the 2006 SCF patch after they win the damn Cup this season!"

Thanks for all the initial responses. I am enjoying reading them.

I say go all out...

It'll be a momento of a pretty wild time.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Regular readers of this board will know that I patch everything I can, and in this case it just isn't an opportunity to put a patch on, it has special personal memories to you of something you lived. I'd patch it for sure.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

In this case, you have to go all out. I totally understand the fear of a trade, but since you have the Stanley Cup patch it becomes a moment in time.

One of my friends got a Pierre Turgeon Canadeins jersey totally done up in the mid-90s. By the end of the season Turgeon was traded.

Putting a name on a jersey makes you a fan. Re-creating a special moment (allstar game, Stanley Cup) is priceless.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

I agree as well... Patches make a jersey more significant of a certain era. I have a Gary Carter 1982 Expos jersey, and the all-star game patch on it makes it so much cooler. Also, I have always wanted a jersey with the 1893-1993 Stanley cup patch, it was one of my favorite patch designs.

Archived