Van de Velde eyes Women's British Open

officeglenn

Jean Van de Velde, the golfer who is famous for blowing a three-stroke lead on the final hole of the 1999 British Open, said today he will attempt to enter the Women's British Open next year: TSN.ca

Van de Velde is apparently upset by a ruling that will allow women to qualify for the men's British Open and has decided to try and turn the tables.

My whole reaction to this was, Why? Women, like Annika Sorenstam, are trying to play in men's events because they see it a step up in competition from the LPGA. So what would it prove to have a male golfer take that supposed step down and beat a field of women at golf? Not a whole lot as far as I can tell.

If he does get into the women's tournament, though, I just hope he doesn't choke again.

How much you wanna bet that next year's Women's British Open is at the same place Van De Velde blew up so many years ago?

Also, why do this? Unless you want to prove that you're a chauvinistic pig and beat a bunch of women, stay with the PGA Tour, you hapless yutz.

Β 

Truthfully, I see his point. (Paraphrasing here): The Women's British Open doesn't allow men, so why should the Men's British Open allow women. And, what's he got to lose? Van de Velde is the perfect guy to fight this fight. He's already a laughing stock after his 18th hole collapse at the Brittish Open. His credibility has no further to fall...

Moose

I don't see a problem with this.Β  If a woman wants to play in the men's golf league, why can't a man play in the women's league??

My point exactly.

this is my only take on the subject, the Professional Golfer's Association (PGA) has no gender specification, which in my opinion means men and women should be free to compete in PGA events. The Ladies Professional Golfer's Association (LPGA) does have a gender specification, so in my opinion Van de Velde should not be able to participate in the event unless there is something in the rulebook that is vague about men competing.

This is my .02.

I don't see a problem with this.Β  If a woman wants to play in the men's golf league, why can't a man play in the women's league??

My point exactly.

this is my only take on the subject, the Professional Golfer's Association (PGA) has no gender specification, which in my opinion means men and women should be free to compete in PGA events. The Ladies Professional Golfer's Association (LPGA) does have a gender specification, so in my opinion Van de Velde should not be able to participate in the event unless there is something in the rulebook that is vague about men competing.

This is my .02.

I'm pretty sure the PGA was a "men's only" league to begin with when it first started out millions or years ago, so there was no need to specify it was the Men's PGA Tour. Just imagine the uproar from that lesbian Martha Burk if they were to actually change it to the MPGA.

Van de Velde is now my favorite LPGA golfer of all time.

6uXNWAo.png

My point exactly.

This is my .02.

I'm pretty sure the PGA was a "men's only" league to begin with when it first started out millions or years ago, so there was no need to specify it was the Men's PGA Tour. Just imagine the uproar from that lesbian Martha Burk if they were to actually change it to the MPGA.

The PGA is for men, LPGA for women. If women want to qualify for the PGA, then the men can play in the LPGA. Van de Velde is now my favorite LPGA golfer of all time.

Two points - 1) the article has nothing to do with either the PGA or LPGA, read it, and you will see that it refers to golf in Europe, and the LGU (Ladies Golf Union); 2) In the US, a sex re-assignment surgery (as mentioned in the article), does not legaly change your gender. (see this web-site The Sex-Change Handbook - Legal Issues. About 2/3's of the way down, it refers to marrage, and that, after a sex re-assignment operation, you're still legaly the same sex you were before the surgery). So, technically, they are allowing males to compete in LGU events, but only certain (post sex re-assignment) males. I'd say Van de Velde's got a legitimate beef...

Moose

If you want my honest opinion as a golf hater, they should just ditch the LPGA and make it PGA totally co-ed. If the girls wanna play with the guys, then there you go. Good luck not making cuts or not even qualifying for tournaments, ladies. That's a fair solution and it will also shut everybody up.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived