World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party

Cujo

Can somebody please tell me why they call the annual Florida/Georgia football game "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party".

This game is between two college teams, which means most of the students attending the game are minors, and is this in the Guniess Book or Records or something??

All I know is that this name is very confusing to me.

6uXNWAo.png

This game is between two college teams, which means most of the students attending the game are minors,

What, you think College Students under 21 don't drink?

I'm sure the NCAA doesn't condone it.

But if the NCAA is going to make the Texas/Oklahome game change "Shootout" to "Rivalry, then I'd imagine they'd would have done something about a game that they might as well call "Drunk-fest".

6uXNWAo.png

Basically its a big tailgating party. Instead of dressing up in the typical hooded sweatshirt, jeans, and a skull cap, People of all ages get together in fancy attire and party down. A Cocktail party is typically a more refined event, and therefore because they dress up, they call it a cocktail party. And because a crap-ton of people show up, they call it the World's Largest.

This is what I've heard. I've never been there, I'm not a fan of either team. Seems to be a good time though.

the NCAA is ok with Drunk. Its implied violence its against.

Curty, everyone's there to get drunk, and who knows, maybe a football game will break out. It is the SEC after all. :D

I think the title of "World's Largest Cocktail Party" is pretty creative and kinda funny.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This game is between two college teams, which means most of the students attending the game are minors.

I can guarantee you that more college students are over 21 than under. Generally, only freshmen and sophomores are under, along with a handful of juniors, but you forget about alll the graduate students, who are over as well. In addition, only about 1/6 of the tickets are sold to students, the rest are sold to alumni and fans, so really, maybe 10% of the paid attendance is under 21, maximum. Tailgaters I cannot vouch for, but underage drinking in public is generally frowned upon, unless your dumb, because it's real easy to get caught.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm not 100% sure about it, but I think it's called the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" because (Someone close to Florida confirm this) both schools' fall breaks take place this weekend, and everyone heads towards Jacksonville two days early, hence the two extra days of mass drinking.

Screw Florida....

Has this game always been played in Jacksonville or was it prviously on Campus?

(As I said about OU/UT, the beauty of college sports is the "on campus" and it sucks if you are a student and your most hated rival never makes a trip to your stadium. I'm glad Michigan and OSU don't play all their games in Cleveland. end rant.)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

For as long as I've followed it (early '80s), it was in Jacksonville every year, then moved to campus sites for four years, now back to Jacksonville.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

For as long as I've followed it (early '80s), it was in Jacksonville every year, then moved to campus sites for four years, now back to Jacksonville.

It has (to my knowledge) always been held at the Gator Bowl/Alltel Stadium.

The 4 years it was on campus was when they were renovating the Gator Bowl for the Jaguars.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The 4 years it was on campus was when they were renovating the Gator Bowl for the Jaguars.

Except for 1994 and 1995, the game's been played in Jacksonville every year.

So wait - is AllTell Stadium the home field for U of Florida?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No. Florida is in Gainesville, not Jacksonville. They play at "The Swamp" which is about an hour away (and seats more). The Cocktail Party is a neutral site. While Gainesville is about 250 miles closer to Jacksonville than Athens, the tickets are split evenly and generally, more UGA fans will make it down. The way it goes is that Georgia tends to win on Friday, but Florida on Saturday.

No. Florida is in Gainesville, not Jacksonville. They play at "The Swamp" which is about an hour away (and seats more). The Cocktail Party is a neutral site. While Gainesville is about 250 miles closer to Jacksonville than Athens, the tickets are split evenly and generally, more UGA fans will make it down. The way it goes is that Georgia tends to win on Friday, but Florida on Saturday.

But Alltell is the former Gator Bowl? Is that just the stadium where the actual Gator Bowl is played? I think that's why I associated it with the U of Florida Gators.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

But Alltell is the former Gator Bowl? Is that just the stadium where the actual Gator Bowl is played? I think that's why I associated it with the U of Florida Gators.

Yes. Alltell used to be the Gator Bowl. The Jaguars play there, Super Bowl XXXIX was there, and the Cocktail Party is there.

Archived