NFL Team Relocation Rumor Mill

TBGKon

3)The Jags may end up in either Montgomery, Birmingham, or Oklahoma City. However something tells me they're stay in Jax.

Wha-wha-what?

The NFL wouldn't go from one small market to another.

In all honesty i was just picking locations. I just can't think of any other locations that the Jags could move to. I know they're upset with Jax, but come on. Where are they going to move to? SA? If any team heads there, it's the Saints. The Chargers and Saints are ahead of the Jags as far as the LA sweepstakes goes. So where else are they going to go? Oklahoma City is probablly the best option.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tagliabue says Saints are Louisiana's team (from ESPN.com): http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2208747

So I'm guessing the Saints will be staying in Louisiana, but not necessarily New Orleans.

What do you expect him to say? "Eff you New Orleans, we're moving them to LA"?

It's just a PR statement, dont read too much into it. Didnt he also tell the Cleveland fans the Browns weren't going anywhere too?

I wouldn't expect him to say anything if he planned on moving the team.

I don't recall Tagliabue saying anything about keeping the Browns in Cleveland. Regardless, do the Cleveland Browns not exist today?

I still think whatever Tag said was purely PR for the benefit of NO and Louisiana. After the season ends there will be manuevering to either move them to SA or Los Angeles. There is no way the NFL will force Benson to stay in the area and lose money. Tagliabue is a snake, the bottom line with him is dollar signs, always has been. He'd just as soon push the Saints fans under the bus. He is saying right now what is politically correct. If you notice he says that there will be an "interim" plan for the Saints. To me that's nothing more than an "out". He just wants to look like the "good guy". The same reason he put on that farce "home" Saints game in the Meadowlands.

metslogo_215.gif

I was doing some research last night on the future NFL Alignment to come.I

have everybody staying put where they are like the 49ers in San Fran.,The

Vikes in Minny,The Bills in Buffalo,NY et c.

Here are the teams in question:<_<

CHARGERS-despite the red tape/politics,they'll likely stay in San Diego.I know they

were started in LA but it was for 1 season.SoCal needs a rival anyhow.

JAGUARS-having trouble with attendance for home dates as of late,but they'll likely

remain where they are.-JAX doesn't want all the hard work of vying+sealing

their NFL franchise go for naught b/c NFL won't expand for a LONG time.

SAINTS-b4 Hurr. Katrina came into play,T.Benson wanted to leave NO b/c of the lease

with the Superdome(it's still in B+ condition)& issues w/crowds as well.My

hunch is the Saints WILL make residence in.....LOS ANGELES!!!! :shocked:

The NFL would prefer to have an NFC team in LA rather than the AFC.Plain+simple.

Besides,FOX has the Pre-Post game shows in LA,while CBS has theirs in NY.

I have another theory as well-i have the 3 NFL Florida teams as well the NCAA.

Miami-Dolphins /Canes TB-Bucs/Fla St. Sem's JAX-Jags-Fla. Gators.

I have one for Texas as well with NFL/NCAA. football teams.

Dallas-Cowboys/Tex. Horns. Houston-Texans/A&M Aggies.

TX can handle 3 NFL teams but their owners won't let it fly.but if it comes to pass,

San Antonio-NFL team/TX Tech Red Raiders.

Thats all for the day.Thanks Again.The End.

:flagusa:

majorleaguebaseball3fi.gif

nflfan8bf.jpg

319rg.jpg

dccomics5vs.png

antimtv.png

The NFL would prefer to have an NFC team in LA rather than the AFC.Plain+simple.

Besides,FOX has the Pre-Post game shows in LA,while CBS has theirs in NY.

I have another theory as well-i have the 3 NFL Florida teams as well the NCAA.

Miami-Dolphins /Canes TB-Bucs/Fla St. Sem's  JAX-Jags-Fla. Gators.

I have one for Texas as well with NFL/NCAA. football teams.

Dallas-Cowboys/Tex. Horns. Houston-Texans/A&M Aggies.

TX can handle 3 NFL teams but their owners won't let it fly.but if it comes to pass,

San Antonio-NFL team/TX Tech Red Raiders.

Thats all for the day.Thanks Again.The End.

:flagusa:

The pre/postgame show point is definitely interesting and one I haven't heard before, but I'm not sure how it would tie into how having a team there.

I also don't understand the comparison of NFL and NCAA teams...at all.

My theory is that the Saints will probably, eventually move back to New Orleans. And if they do relocate, they'll get a new identity and it'll be done Cleveland Browns-style. As to where they relocate...I'm going with LA, but has anybody mentioned Portland or SLC?

Niners, Vikes, Chargers...probably staying put.

As for the Jags, though...if things don't turn around, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go. I don't know how long the NFL would want to hold on there, but in the NBA it happened with Charlotte. 13 years and the Hornets were gone, but that was mostly George Shinn...and also a rant for another thread. :cursing:

(P.S. And your sig..."I hate MTV/BET and all types of pop culture." Um...isn't Batman pop culture?)

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

This came from SA.com

Sunday's game drew 61,643, with a capacity of 79,000. The Saints' first game at the Alamodome drew 58,688 of a 65,000-seat capacity, but the second was a sellout.

Although Tagliabue envisions the Saints remaining in New Orleans, he said the franchise needs to become more regional and even suggested it could be renamed the Louisiana Saints.

Tagliabue said the league would provide the Saints with temporary financial assistance this season. He also called for a fresh look at the team's subsidy-rich contract with the state-owned Superdome, which he called "flawed."

If anyone knows the answer to the following question, please speak up. Was the 2/3 of the owners approval rule in place when Al Davis originally moved the Raiders to LA in the 80's? If so, did he go to court to have it overturned? And if that is true, then did the NFL put in any kind of new legislation to prevent that from occuring again? Lastly, if they didnt, what is to prevent Benson from doing the same? Unless I'm incorrect any time an owner really wanted to move, he was able to do so. Baltimore, Oakland, St. Louis, Los Angeles x 2 (Rams, Raiders), Cleveland, Houston. Another thing, if the NFL thought the LA market was so important to protect why didnt the owners block the move of the Rams and the Raiders in 1995?

metslogo_215.gif

Well, I have heard Tagliabue hinted at an even boarder term, such as the "Gulf Coast Saints", which sounds a little imbecilic, is not a terrible idea if circumstances prevent the Saints from immediately returning to New Orleans. Maybe if they go for a split home schedule between S.A. and Baton Rogue, then the name would at least make sense. Though this is pure observation, as is for the title.

So, what are we looking at? A set of predictions...

1) New Orleans Saints become a traveling show as either the Lousiana Saints or the Gulf Coast Saints, though ultimately the team and the NFL will return it to the Big Easy.

2) San Diego Chargers, apparently, is one of the more likely teams to move to Los Angeles. Though it is more like "L.A. or S.D."; meaning if they do move, it will most definitely be Los Angeles or even Anaheim. And another location is improable if relocation were to occur.

3) The classic, yet shaky teams such as Minnesota and San Francisco will most certainly stay in their respected cities...I hope.

4) Jacksonville would be an...interesting situation. As the fanbase is still struggling somewhat, they could very well end up moving. To where is anyone's guess. Perhaps they will go to L.A., though a cross-country switch would whack out the division standings. As the AFC West is a battleground of fierce rivalries, switching with a Midwest team such as Denver and K.C. would be flat out wrong. So the NFL would be stuck with a South division a team a few miles from the Great Lakes, a team close to the Appalichians, a Texan team, and a West Coast team. However, if S.D. does move to L.A., yet the Saints return to New Orleans, then the Jaguars could end up in the Alamo City. San Antonio Jaguars...doesn't sound bad at all. Plus, you'd have the wonderful prospect of two interstate rivalry games every year with Houston, so that would rock.

Now what this does when the next round of expansion rolls around is the fact that while all the plotholes will be filled (N.O. stays put, S.D. becomes L.A., Minn and San Fran BETTER stay put, the Jags move to S.A.) is what the NFL would aim for. What markets are left to tackle? A second chance for Florida? The possiblity of Alabama? Expansion in the Southwest, such as New Mexico or dare I say Las Vegas? Portland? Even a move to Canada? Guess we'll see...

GR30a5H.png

Think about it Gulf Coast Saints could work. Alot of people hated the idea of changing the Boston Patriots to the New England Patriots but it works and the team really does represent and is supported by all the New England states.

The Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics, Boston Bruins are all supported by New England just as the Pats are, and until Tom Brady started falling ass-backwards into Super Bowl wins, were supported even more than the all-encompassing Patriots. The Patriots don't represent New England any more than the other three teams in Boston proper.

"Gulf Coast Saints", which sounds a little imbecilic, is not a terrible idea if circumstances prevent the Saints from immediately returning to New Orleans. Maybe if they go for a split home schedule between S.A. and Baton Rogue, then the name would at least make sense.

Hey geography major, San Antonio and Baton Rouge don't touch the Gulf Of Mexico at all. How does that make sense?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

BTW Mr. know it all the Patriots are the only team of the Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox that does'nt play in Boston. So that is why New England does work in that case. The Patriots accepted the fact that the team was supported by and represented New England.It also makes the team more marketable to the whole region which is the main reason and the same reason it would work for the Saints.

If there was room in Boston, they'd be in Boston. Because they are a Boston team.

My point is, countless other teams have no trouble representing wide geographic areas whilst retaining a city name. The Braves are the Southeast's team; some would consider Atlanta the unofficial capital of the area. The Red Sox are New England's, and Boston as we know is the Hub Of The Universe. New Orleans is the primary city for the Gulf Coast area, so there should be no problem with retaining their name. And besides, nobody has really referred to "the Gulf Coast" as a specific region in everyday parlance until it got its ass kicked last August. Before that it was just "haha Jesus-loving rednecks live there, lol." So if all these teams can draw from wide areas and still be named after the city they play in, so can the Saints.

It's all a moot point, they're moving anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived