NFL Team Relocation Rumor Mill

TBGKon

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you remember, VD, those weren't just rumors: that was THISCLOSE to actually happening, thanks to Tose's gambling debts.

Oh, all too well - my family had some friends in the front office back then, and I remember how close it came to coming true.

Of course, it brought about the Braman Era, and the Buddy Era (but then the Kotite Era), so it was a mixed blessing. And zero playoff wins.

Giants B, B, S & S. And it's still our division.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

And as a Jets fan as well, thank you for Kotite. That was swell.

All too happy to share the misery...

I can't entirely complain about the Jets' Kotite Era - my college roommate was a diehard Jets fan, and he kept wagering a 12-pack of beer EVERY Sunday on that guy. Since I had been through Kotite's magic before, I kept taking the bets. 1-15 kept me in cold beer for months.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Rumors and speculation are fun and all, but I'll wait for something substantial to break one way or the other.  It wasn't that long ago (15 years) that the Eagles were on their way to the Valley of the Sun.  Could anyone see that happening today?

It also wasnt that long ago when the Seahawks almost made the move to SoCal.

The move already happened, but the commish proceeded to fine them something in the tens of thousands until they moved back.

VmWIn6B.png

So let's see here the following teams are considering a move to Los Angeles:

Saints

Jaguars

Vikings

Chargers

49ers?  (with their ownership, I wouldn't be surprised and this is coming from a 49er season ticket holder)

The Vikes??? I thought they are going well in Minnesota.

The voters of Minnesota WILL NEVER pay for a stadium, unless that state wishes to sidestep a referrendum.

I obviously don't want them to move, but frankly it makes sense.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I've heard rumors that the evil Sports Group in Toronto (Maple Leaf Sports?) has drawn up evil plans to buy the Bills when Ralph Wilson dies and move them to Toronto.

Of course, it'll never happen, because if it did. Me and my fellow Western New Yorkers would storm the US-Canada border, raze the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, continue on through St. Catharines and Hamilton until we reached Toronto. We would then brutally massacre the people who had stolen our Bills from us, and would then march back to the good ole USA with the franchise safe in hand.

.... :flagusa: Take that Canada!

Insert Witty Signature Here.

LA Rams: Moved to St. Louis

LA Raiders: Moved back to Oakland

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could either team actually fill the stadium in that city?

True, but LA Coliseum is friggin HUGE!

Doesn't hold anymore than FedEx Field, and the Redskins manage to sell out every game.

IUe6Hvh.png

LA Rams: Moved to St. Louis

LA Raiders: Moved back to Oakland

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could either team actually fill the stadium in that city?

True, but LA Coliseum is friggin HUGE!

Doesn't hold anymore than FedEx Field, and the Redskins manage to sell out every game.

*EDIT* The Coliseum holds 92,000, now that they added those endzone seats and tarped off a hefty portion of the olympic seats.

In a Market that doesn't care, that's a "too big" stadium

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I've heard rumors that the evil Sports Group in Toronto (Maple Leaf Sports?) has drawn up evil plans to buy the Bills when Ralph Wilson dies and move them to Toronto.

Of course, it'll never happen, because if it did. Me and my fellow Western New Yorkers would storm the US-Canada border, raze the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, continue on through St. Catharines and Hamilton until we reached Toronto. We would then brutally massacre the people who had stolen our Bills from us, and would then march back to the good ole USA with the franchise safe in hand.

.... :flagusa: Take that Canada!

Just make sure you don't aim your armaments wide right.

The Coliseum holds 92,000, now that they added those endzone seats and tarped off a hefty portion of the olympic seats.

In a Market that doesn't care, that's a "too big" stadium

If the Los Angeles Coliseum were chosen as the home for an NFL team (either expansion or relocated), the facility would be extensively renovated.

Current plans call for a retrofit that would be something like the renovation of Soldier Field in Chicago. In other words, portions of the Coliseum's current outer structure would be left standing (and strengthened), while the interior of the facility would be virtually built anew.

Further, the plans for the "new" Coliseum call for NFL regular-season capacity to top out at 68,000 per game. The stadium would seat between 78,000 - 80,000 for college football and special events (i.e. Super Bowls).

.... :flagusa:  Take that Canada!

Just make sure you don't aim your armaments wide right.

LMAO.

A buddy and I would be glad to join in on that, even though we are not Bills fans, as he is a Dolphins fan and I am a Pats, Broncos and Ravens fan. It would be mutiny to move them.

Well, frankly, to say the Saints will move to San Antonio is premature, and Tom Benson is already feeling the heat from not only the mayor of New Orleans, but their loyal fans as well, because of this speculation. In Benson's case, he wants the team to make money, and play in a more suitable place, but the Saints fans say the move is very selfish, especially after the city took a fatal hit by Hurricane Katrina. Anybody who has devoted their passion to a team like the Saints, who hasn't been winning many titles lately, only 3 division titles to my count, should not deserve to have it taken away by some owner, just because a natural disaster wiped out a city off the face of the earth, especially if a team hasn't made much money anyway. When a city suffers greatly from a hurricane, or a tornado, etc., you rebuild. Losing the Saints is the least of their worries right now, however Mr. Benson should take that into consideration.

As for the Vikings, that team is screwed up already, with the incident with the boating party. From what I've seen, I have not heard of any stadium plan on the table, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did move out of Minnesota. The were contemplating moving to San Antonio when Red McCombs owned the club, but that is not to be, now that there's a new owner. Usually the Metrodome is packed during Vikings' games, but the name of the game is luxury suites, skyboxes, and a ton of seats, not to mention everything else that's hi-tech added to a stadium.

And Jacksonville? Too close to Atlanta. How many people on this Earth are Jags fans?

I do know this, I sure as well would die if the Bills actually move to Toronto.

.... :flagusa:  Take that Canada!

I would like to massacre MLSE even if they don't go after the Bills. :D

But it's not MLSE that is interested in the Bills, it would more likely be the owners of the Blue Jays (Roger Communications) because the president Paul Godfrey has been wanting an NFL franchise to come to Toronto for many years.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived