Toronto to MLS

Brian in Boston

With the Toronto City Council having approved the municipality's $9.8-million share of construction costs for a soccer-specific stadium on the CNE grounds, it now appears that Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment's bid to bring a 2007 Major League Soccer expansion team to the city has the inside track on approval. I'd expect something to be officially announced by the league at either MLS Cup or shortly thereafter.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they are gonna go with the European names that they have favored lately, I would suggest Inter Toronto. It makes sense due to the fact that Toronto will be an international team, plus the word "Inter" is the same in Italian and English so you don't end up with a ridiculous name like FC Dallas or Real Salt Lake.

If they are gonna go with the European names that they have favored lately, I would suggest Inter Toronto. It makes sense due to the fact that Toronto will be an international team, plus the word "Inter" is the same in Italian and English so you don't end up with a ridiculous name like FC Dallas or Real Salt Lake.

I like it!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I love the Inter Toronto name!

I like that a lot, too. I also wouldn't mind something like Chris suggested, Toronto City FC.

What about colors? What colors aren't really represented in the league?

The team will be owned by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment... the colours will likely be blue and white, maybe silver. If there's red, it'll be in the form of a maple leaf.

---

Chris Creamer

I'm torn on this one. Obviously, MLSE is a big-time player, and will be a solid, stable addition to MLS. But, I'm not sure I like MLS expanding into Canada.

Plus, this certainly means the death of the Lynx. Yes, I know there's a plan for both of them to co-exist, but the Lynx don't get much support now--I don't expect them to be able to survive as the minor-league option in a place like TO.

As for colours, a double-blue, akin to the Marlies, would be cool.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Okay, I hate soccer, I hate MLS and I don't care for my local Pro Team (The Rochester Rhinos), but...

THE FACT THAT TORONTO GETS A TEAM BEFORE ROCHESTER IS COMPLETE BS! We've had better attendance then the Toronto Lynx AND we actually have a stadium that is already being physically built! Gosh Darnit, I know the reasoning behind this and all (Toronto: Huge International City, Rochester, NY: Place that would be unknown outside the Northeast if it weren't for the fact it's name is on every KODAK camera.), but it's nuts that the people running the MLS continue to choose cities that have not had as much success as the Rhinos have had here!

Okay, carry on.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Okay, I hate soccer, I hate MLS and I don't care for my local Pro Team (The Rochester Rhinos), but...

THE FACT THAT TORONTO GETS A TEAM BEFORE ROCHESTER IS COMPLETE BS! We've had better attendance then the Toronto Lynx AND we actually have a stadium that is already being physically built! Gosh Darnit, I know the reasoning behind this and all (Toronto: Huge International City, Rochester, NY: Place that would be unknown outside the Northeast if it weren't for the fact it's name is on every KODAK camera.), but it's nuts that the people running the MLS continue to choose cities that have not had as much success as the Rhinos have had here!

Okay, carry on.

You're crazy :)

The Toronto area has a population of around 5 million, it's a major media hub, it opens up Canada as a market, they're building a 25,000 seat soccer only stadium, downtown, there's a solid ownership group ready to take over (MLSE), and Toronto is the second most multicultral major city in the world.

Rochester has a population of 233,000; it has no appeal outside of the Rochester area; they are building a 17,000-seat soccer stadium downtown.

There's your race right there.

---

Chris Creamer

I like that name, Inter Toronto Football Club (ITFC).

Hope that the jersey will have the Toronto Maple Leafs' classic colors like the Grasshopper Club Zürich (Switzerland):

gczshirt8vv.jpg

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

There are "big" MLS markets (*coughSanJosecough*) who would kill for a 17k stadium.

Really? It just seems so small to me.

I'll take your word.

For a soccer-specific setup, it's a good size. Granted, the shared venues that MLS currently play in, such as Giants Stadium have huge capacities--which are unrealistic for current MLS crowds. (Never mind the bad setups, the gridiron lines, expensive leases, etc.)

Existing:

Home Depot Center, Los Angeles/Chivas USA - 27,000

Columbus Crew Stadium, Columbus - 23,400

Pizza Hut Park, Dallas - 20,000 (when completed)

Under construction:

Bridgeview (name TBD), Chicago - 20,000

Commerce City (name TBD), Colorado - 18,000

Planned:

Sandy (name TBD), Salt Lake - 25,000

Harrison NJ (name TBD), MetroStars - 25,000

PaeTec Park in Rochester is slated to be 17,000 seats in phase one, with luxury boxes to be added in phase two, and capacity expanded to 20,000 in phase three. I'm not sure on the status of the additional phases, but even at 17,000, that's not bad at all.

Rochester is very close to Buffalo, and would certainly be considered a very natural rival for the MetroStars and Revolution, as well as a new Toronto team.

So, with stable ownership (which seems willing to jump to MLS), a new stadium near completion, and a history of stability and success, Rochester seems like it should be a reasonable choice.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Okay, carry on.

Rochester Rhinos ownership should be the target of your wrath.

Major League Soccer would most likely grant Rochester a team in a heartbeat... IF the Rhinos' ownership group was willing to pay the expansion fee. To date, the Rhinos' owners haven't shown the inclination (Or is it the ability?) to pay said fee. Additionally, they don't seem open to the idea of taking on a partner to help shoulder some of the financial burden of stepping up to MLS competition.

Bottom line? It's far more likely that the owners of the Rhinos - as opposed to the management of MLS - are responsible for the team's continued membership in the USL First Division.

Archived