1967 NFL championship game question

Tha One Tru

So I was watching the Super Bowl Box set DVD's from the first World Championship game and Superbowl II, and I heard something that's been bugging me ever since, like that uncle who just won't shut the hell up during Thanksgiving, but keeps on pestering you about why you haven't given him any nephews or nieces yet, as if sex talk was an acceptable topic anytime at all, let alone during the holidays.

Anyway during the footage of the 1967 Ice Bowl, during the final Green Bay drive to bart starr's famous touchdown, NFL Films chose to go with either a radio or Tv feed instead of having John Facenda yapping away with his nicotine filled lungs. After the Packers scored, the announcer is heard saying that

The Packers are going to be, World Champions for the third consecutive year.

Which is nice, except it isn't the least bit true, at least at that moment in time, as they still had to beat whomever the AFL champion would be, which turned out to be the Raiders, whom the Packers did eventually beat in Super Bowl II.

But why the hell would the announcer make such an egregious error as to procalim the Packers World Champions when they quite clearly had one more game to win, and that was by no means a sure thing, before they could officially be crowned World Champions?

So I was watching the Super Bowl Box set DVD's from the first World Championship game and Superbowl II, and I heard something that's been bugging me ever since, like that uncle who just won't shut the hell up during Thanksgiving, but keeps on pestering you about why you haven't given him any nephews or nieces yet, as if sex talk was an acceptable topic anytime at all, let alone during the holidays.

Anyway during the footage of the 1967 Ice Bowl, during the final Green Bay drive to bart starr's famous touchdown, NFL Films chose to go with either a radio or Tv feed instead of having John Facenda yapping away with his nicotine filled lungs. After the Packers scored, the announcer is heard saying that

Which is nice, except it isn't the least bit true, at least at that moment in time, as they still had to beat whomever the AFL champion would be, which turned out to be the Raiders, whom the Packers did eventually beat in Super Bowl II.

But why the hell would the announcer make such an egregious error as to procalim the Packers World Champions when they quite clearly had one more game to win, and that was by no means a sure thing, before they could officially be crowned World Champions?

the first Super Bowl was not considered a championship game yet. It was more of a novelty. There was no consensus yet that the winner would be crowned as world champs.

metslogo_215.gif

So I was watching the Super Bowl Box set DVD's from the first World Championship game and Superbowl II, and I heard something that's been bugging me ever since, like that uncle who just won't shut the hell up during Thanksgiving, but keeps on pestering you about why you haven't given him any nephews or nieces yet, as if sex talk was an acceptable topic anytime at all, let aloneĀ  during the holidays.

the first Super Bowl was not considered a championship game yet. It was more of a novelty. There was no consensus yet that the winner would be crowned as world champs.

That's quaint, and utterly and completely irrelevant to my entire post, which you quite oibviously didn't even bother to read.

How nice for you.

The 1967 NFL Championship game was the infamous Ice Bowl at which the tmerpature was 59 degrees below freezing, yet there were tons of naked people dancing in the stands at Lambeau Field. See, I can be completely irrelevant just like you.

The aformentioned game was played with the winner having the right to face the AFL champion in Super Bowl II, which had been established as the true measurement of what team was world champion.

And we won't even bring the CFL into this.

Now, honestly, how tough was that?

So I was watching the Super Bowl Box set DVD's from the first World Championship game and Superbowl II, and I heard something that's been bugging me ever since, like that uncle who just won't shut the hell up during Thanksgiving, but keeps on pestering you about why you haven't given him any nephews or nieces yet, as if sex talk was an acceptable topic anytime at all, let aloneĀ  during the holidays.

That's quaint, and utterly and completely irrelevant to my entire post, which you quite oibviously didn't even bother to read.

How nice for you.

The 1967 NFL Championship game was the infamous Ice Bowl at which the tmerpature was 59 degrees below freezing, yet there were tons of naked people dancing in the stands at Lambeau Field. See, I can be completely irrelevant just like you.

The aformentioned game was played with the winner having the right to face the AFL champion in Super Bowl II, which had been established as the true measurement of what team was world champion.

Wow... jerk much?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

Ā 

"The Mothership" ā€¢ News ā€¢ Facebook ā€¢ X/Twitter ā€¢ Instagram

How nice for you.

you're the one who asked the question Tru, Rick gave you a respectable answer and you turn it around like you're a know-it-all, when in the end I think Rick is right. Also, that comment about the pestering uncle was not needed

How nice for you.

In American sports we tend to say "World Champs" for the NFL, NBA and MLB. Therefore among those sports, it remains consistant. Could you argue that it is arrogant to say that? Sure. (See: America 1776 to present).

As for the Super Bowl part of it, I think Rick's response makes perfect sense. The first super bowl was more of an exhibition. And at the time, there was a certain arrogance of the NFL vs. the AFL. Nobody took that league seriously. So the Raiders may have taken offense in 1967, you make take offesene 38 years later, but I would think that most people would have not batted an eyelash to that statement. I'm not saying it was necessarily appropriate. Just saying that is why it probably occured.

(Then the AFL won the next two super bowls!)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

Ā 

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

How nice for you.

I probably shouldn't even bother after your response, but RickV is correct. The NFL considered it's champ to be the "World Champion" even after the merger was announced (particularly since the AFL was being absorbed), so the NFL picked and paid announcing team would call the Packers the "World Champions" and ignore the fact they still were slated to play the AFL champ Raiders in Super Bowl II. They did the same thing at the end of 1966, when the Packers still had to play the Chiefs in Super Bowl I. Part of it was NFL arrogance, not wanting to compare themselves to the upstart AFL, part of it was the belief that it didn't matter who the AFL put on the field they couldn't possibly compare to Lombardi's Packers.

I can't remember for sure, but the title of "World Champion" didn't move to the Super Bowl winner until either III (Jets) or IV (Chiefs), but it did happen pre-merger.

How nice for you.

Why ever bother asking a question when, guarenteed, no matter what answer you get, you are going to do nothing but insult them?

$50 says you insult me in your reply to this post.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I think the annoucer said the Packers were going o be the World Champs 3 straight years because they didn't take the AFL seriously. Thne the NFL was considered far superior to the AFL. The year before the Packers easily beat the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. The year before that there was no Super Bowl so the NFL Champion was considered the World Champion because the NFL was considered the far better league. So when the Packers beat the Cowboys in the Ice Bowl the media crowned them the World Champions because they figured the Raiders had no shot at beating the Packers (The Packers win easily).

It was this arrogance on the NFL part that made the Jets' win the next year a huge upset.

Maybe I can give this "One Tru" guy a comparison he'll accept. In 1967 The Packers playing the AFL champion for the "World Championship" was comparable to the White Sox playing the AAA champions today for the "World Championship." No one considered the AFL as an equal to the NFL at the time. That view of the AFL probably didn't change for good until after the Chiefs beat the Vikings in Super Bowl IV.

No go ahead and tell me what an idiot I am. Oh and by the way, I got a pretty good idea about why that "proverbial" uncle asks you about sex. He's probably wondering how on earth you can get a woman to come near you being the jackass that you are. If you have a kid with a hooker does it count as a niece or nephew? Jerk. :D

Ā 

BB52Big.jpg

Ā 

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Ā 

I'd suggest its a mixture of the two ideas posted already. Firstly the NFL would regard the NFL championship game as the championship game. I guess at this early stage it was the game everyone in the NFL wanted to win. Part of the reason for this was the comparitive weakness of the AFL. Whoever won the NFL championship could pretty much guaratee to win the Superbowl. Which is what made namath's guarantee of victory so shocking.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Super Bowl III was the first offical Super Bowl, at least in name. "Super Bowl I" and "Super Bowl II" are retroactive names since the first two were officially known as the "AFL-NFL World Championship Game." This lends credibility to the theory that the NFL champ was generally considered as the de facto World Champion, at least until Super Bowl III. By the way, note the face value price of the ticket. TEN BUCKS!!!

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

Interestingly, the ticket for SB III still refers to it as the "World Championship Game" as opposed to the Super Bowl.

sb3.jpg

Finally...the Super Bowl!

sb4.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

afl-nfl championship game may have been the official name for the early super bowls, but EVERYONE ELSE called it the super bowl.

the nfl simply caved in and joined the crowd.

i'm not a fan of revisionist history. i think many people think that everyone was calling it the afl-nfl championship game when this wasn't the case.

just my 2c.

tb

Interestingly, the ticket for SB III still refers to it as the "World Championship Game" as opposed to the Super Bowl.

sb3.jpg

"Third World Championship" makes it sound as if the game was being played in South America, or somewhere underdeveloped ...

(yep, more arrogant Americanism ...)

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019Ā 

facebook

afl-nfl championship game may have been the official name for the early super bowls, but EVERYONE ELSE called it the super bowl.

the nfl simply caved in and joined the crowd.

i'm not a fan of revisionist history. i think many people think that everyone was calling it the afl-nfl championship game when this wasn't the case.

just my 2c.

tb

On what do you base that assumption?

From the BBC website:

Only in 1970 when the Chiefs played the Minnesota Vikings for the fourth World Championship did the term 'Super Bowl' begin to be used. A year later, the Baltimore Colts and Dallas Cowboys met in Super Bowl V as Roman Numerals began to be suffixed. The previous games were subsequently renamed Super Bowls I, II, III and IV. By January 2000 the Super Bowls had progressed to number XXXIV (34).

The program for the game between the Jets and Colts, what we call Super Bowl III, had "Super Bowl" on the cover.

Do a Google image search for "Super Bowl III Program", and you'll see bunches of them.

It's where I sit.

The problem is that NFL Films sometimes will edit this call. In the original call, the announcer corrects himself, saying "The Packers are going to be World Champions...NFL Champions for a third consecutive year."

On some NFL Films presentations, they have the full call. On some, they delete the "World Champions" reference. I haven't heard your version with them keeping the "World Champions" reference and deleting the "NFL Champions" reference, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The program for the game between the Jets and Colts, what we call Super Bowl III, had "Super Bowl" on the cover.

Do a Google image search for "Super Bowl III Program", and you'll see bunches of them.

Indeed it does. Great graphic on the cover as well - shows the uni's of the time (Colts' "full circle" shoulder stripes for example) nicely.

701083004o.jpg

Archived