Two Down, One to Go

Jigga

Well, looks like this damn BCS is going to "work out" again. :evil:

With VaTech and UCLA going down (though UCLA will probably lose to USC anyway) there are only undefeated national championship contenders. With 'Bama looking shakier and shakier every week, if they lose to LSU or in the SEC Championship game, the BCS will put the undefeated #1 and #2 teams in the Rose Bowl.

Even if it "works out" though, I still hate the BCS and hope that something happens to blow the whole damn thing up! Go 'Bama!! :cursing:

Did anyone catch that VT/Miami game? Vick looked like Aaron Brooks (his cousin) out there...lol

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Can we all agree....

National Championship

Texas Vs. Southern California

If USC, Texas, and Bama all lose, i like Penn States chances......

But that's not gonna happen...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Well, with UCLA getting demolished, the bowls are increasingly looking like they'll shake out this way.

Rose: USC v Texas

Orange: Miami v Penn St

Fiesta: LSU (a) v Oregon (a)

Sugar: Alabama v W Virginia

As both at-large teams only have one loss, I think they deserve it more than some overhyped two loss team that is ranked a bit too high.

LvZYtbZ.png

Well, with UCLA getting demolished, the bowls are increasingly looking like they'll shake out this way.

Rose: USC v Texas

Orange: Miami v Penn St

Fiesta: LSU (a) v Oregon (a)

Sugar: Alabama v W Virginia

As both at-large teams only have one loss, I think they deserve it more than some overhyped two loss team that is ranked a bit too high.

How did Oregon do against USC in comparison to Notre Dame?

IUe6Hvh.png

You just know Notre Dame is going to sneak into this thing (BCS) somehow, though they're probably a year away from deserving it. Although I think a team with it's own personal television contract should get an automatic BCS point deduction on principle alone.

Alabama clearly misses Prothro and it would be a real shock to hear serious Rose Bowl talk about them.

Texas fans have heard it rightfully year after year....we got out-coached....we can't win big games...Mack Brown is an idiot....etcetera and so forth.

This year I think this team is a flat-out machine. Much respect to USC, but I don't see this UT team rolling over for anybody. It's a push in my eyes.

To the SC fans who have already cleared a space on the mantle for MNC #3....you have clearly not watched a Longhorn game. Texas is balanced, well coached, focused...and for once unafraid.

May the best team win, it should be an epic game.

newsig.jpg

Oregon led USC at the half but that's also Oregon's only loss - Notre Dame has a 1-1 record against current ranked teams and have a loss to an unranked team. Oregon is also 1-1 against current ranked teams, but they've played tougher competition including Cal and three teams that gave unbeaten UCLA scares or losses (Arizona St, Arizona, and Stanford). Meanwhile, the only good team Notre Dame has beaten was a squeaker against Michigan that they should not have had anyways.

LvZYtbZ.png

Oregon led USC at the half but that's also Oregon's only loss - Notre Dame has a 1-1 record against current ranked teams and have a loss to an unranked team.  Oregon is also 1-1 against current ranked teams, but they've played tougher competition including Cal and three teams that gave unbeaten UCLA scares or losses (Arizona St, Arizona, and Stanford).  Meanwhile, the only good team Notre Dame has beaten was a squeaker against Michigan that they should not have had anyways.

45-13.

Notre Dame took USC down to the last play -- judging by the score... Oregon did not.

Besides, Oregon just got taken to OT by a soon to be unranked Cal team.

Not many people outside of Oregon would contest that the Ducks are better than the Irish.

IUe6Hvh.png

I think any BCS-hater is disappointed that VA Tech lost. I was pulling for them. We need many undefeateds and controversy. If 'Bama goes undefeated, most of the country will barely notice and nobody will weap for them--like Auburn last year. We need more years like two years ago, when a "media darling" was the team that was left out.

Fluff the BCS. When it "works out" it's by accident.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm totally on board with screwing 'Bowl Corruption System'....but I feel like a dirty politician. The team I pull for should have a shot at the whole thing this year, but if they and SC go undefeated it almost justifies the BCS for another year....damn (sort of).

newsig.jpg

IF ND wins out, they are going to a BCS bowl and you can start making travel arrangements...

In other BCS news, isn't the "plus one" set to debut next year? I know they are supposed to open the BCS up to all 11 conferences in Division I-A (apparently, Notre Dame earns an automatic berth if they finish in the top eight in the final BCS rankings AND will be guaranteed BCS money every season, even when it doesn't play in a game) but I get conflicting reports of merely adding a 5th BCS game or adding the true plus-one national championship game after the first set of BCS games.

Finally, sure Notre Dame barely lost to USC, but Notre Dame also lost to Michigan State, who were beaten by Purdue, who lost to Iowa, who was knocked off by Iowa State, who fell to Missouri, who succumbed to New Mexico, who was run over by BYU, who was blown out by Notre Dame...see it all makes sense when you do some research! My point is is doesn't matter how you've played against common opponents unless you play in the same conference. It's about money and "how well teams travel" when it comes to bowl invitations..and NOBODY travels better than Notre Dame.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'm not buying into that Notre Dame lost to (blank) who almost lost to (blank) who lost to (blank) who almost lost to (blank) who almost lost to (blank) who almost lost to (blank) who lost to (blank) theory. The bottomline is that Oregon and Notre Dame have played one like opponent. One team took them down to the last play, and possibly had them beat if not for blown calls -- the other team lost 45-13. . Notre Dame will, and should, also get credit for going out and scheduling the best teams they can get on their schedule -- of course, no disrespect is meant towards Houston, Montana State, and Fresno State, whom the Ducks played outside of their conference.

IUe6Hvh.png

My point was one had nothing to do with the other. If they didn't play the same team at the same time under the exact same conditions, it doesn't matter that they both have played USC this year.

I'm not saying ND shouldn't go to the BCS (their resurgance has been HUGE for college football), I just don't think the Oregon-ND argument should hinge solely on their respective performances versus USC.

My point was one had nothing to do with the other. If they didn't play the same team at the same time under the exact same conditions, it doesn't matter that they both have played USC this year.

I'm not saying ND shouldn't go to the BCS (their resurgance has been HUGE for college football), I just don't think the Oregon-ND argument should hinge solely on their respective performances versus USC.

I think that would be fair if there wasn't such a huge difference in the final score, or if Oregon looked as though they actually belonged on the same field as USC. Meanwhile, Notre Dame looked like a better team than USC.

IUe6Hvh.png

You know now that the AP voters are all going to have 4-2 Notre Dame ranked 4th, right behind all the unbeatens. Seeing how the voters are so in love with the Irish, they will jump them ahead of "The U", who just took down #3 Virginia Tech. <_<

6uXNWAo.png

You know now that the AP voters are all going to have 4-2 Notre Dame ranked 4th, right behind all the unbeatens. Knowing the voters, they will even jump ND ahead of "The U", who just took down #3 Virginia Tech. <_<

If USC has got a stranglehold on a BCS National Championship berth, why gives a damn where ND ends up in the polls? They aren't competing for the same prize anymore.

You're the biggest (or at least most vocal) USC fan up here so I'm sure you saw the ENTIRE Trojans/Fighting Irish game. NOTRE DAME OUTPLAYED USC FOR MOST OF THE DAMN GAME. Just give the Irish the respect you would have demanded we give USC if Notre Dame had won the game :D. Yes, Notre Dame is 4-2, but they move the needle more than any other college football program in the country. They lost two verrrrrry close games they could have won so I can see why some of the voters may just think ND is better than some of the one loss teams, but they aren't going to be #4...

Stop, breathe, think, then post... :D

Archived