Notre Dame & Navy to play in Ireland

yh

I was just reading in College Football News that Notre Dame and Navy have extended their football contract through 2016 with two off-campus games; one in Baltimore and one in Dublin, Ireland, the latter of which is to be played in 2012. Regardless of the fact that I'm not crazy about ND, I do think this is a really cool idea.

Discuss.

I think Notre Dame played Boston College in Ireland in 1996.

I'm sure there's a stadium that could easily accommodate them. Dublin must have a large soccer or hurling stadium, right?

Croke Park in Dublin holds up to 82,500. It's home to Ireland's largest sporting events and concerts, and IIRC it's where ND played back in '96.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

this story is quite ironic. i just started watching my tape of the ND-Navy game from 1996 from Croke Park in Dublin. the irony is sickening! ok, not quite, but i think it's a great thing to do it again. if history has taught us anything, the notre dame streak should be up to 50 years strong by the time that one rolls around. by the way jp, notre dame played BC at chestnut hill that year (thought you might like to know ^_^ ).

the reason they never play Navy AT Navy is because the stadium in annapolis is just too small for an opponent like Notre Dame. Baltimore, DC or Philly are good neutral sites for this rivalry.

wow, i just heard a BOWL ALLIANCE reference in this game, this tape IS old.

quinn_samardzija_sig.jpg

the reason they never play Navy AT Navy is because the stadium in annapolis is just too small for an opponent like Notre Dame.

What a complete load of crap.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

the reason they never play Navy AT Navy is because the stadium in annapolis is just too small for an opponent like Notre Dame.

Wow... a guy turns 30 and he gets all old and grumpy. :blink:

(Aw, who am I kidding? You're a week older than I am. Happy Belated 30th.)

Croke Park (see below) is a pretty good place for events as well. For an old soccer stadium, it underwent a fairly extensive renovation in the last decade. Beyond Croke, there aren't too many large stadiums. Lansdowne Road in Dublin is where Ireland plays a lot of national team soccer matches, but it only holds 36,000. Cork is the 2nd largest city in Ireland, but it's biggest stadium is a shade under 45,000.

dublin_croke_park1.jpg

dublin_croke_park2.jpg

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Wow... a guy turns 30 and he gets all old and grumpy. :blink:

(Aw, who am I kidding? You're a week older than I am. Happy Belated 30th.)

Croke Park (see below) is a pretty good place for events as well. For an old soccer stadium, it underwent a fairly extensive renovation in the last decade. Beyond Croke, there aren't too many large stadiums. Lansdowne Road in Dublin is where Ireland plays a lot of national team soccer matches, but it only holds 36,000. Cork is the 2nd largest city in Ireland, but it's biggest stadium is a shade under 45,000.

dublin_croke_park1.jpg

dublin_croke_park2.jpg

Croke Park belongs to the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) and of the laws/rules is that only traditional Irish sports, like gaelic football. But they have made exceptions like the Notre Dame game in 1996. Croke Park has also hosted International Rules matches (a hybrid of Gaelic and Australian Rules) between Ireland and Australia.

Since soccer is seen as a "foreign" sport, Corke Park has never hosted a soccer match. However, the GAA has recently made a temporary amendment for the soccer and rugby teams to play there once renovations to Lansdowne Road start.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_i...mes/4452449.stm

I saw, I came, I left.

Now I'm not European, nor do I follow European sports beyond the small tidbit on the side of the 5th page of the sports section, but I thought that the GAA only had a rule barring sports of "English Origin" (Soccer, Cricket, some forms of Rugby etc.). So I don't think American Football would need an exemption, since, well, it's "AMERICAN" Football.

Although this brings up the interesting question of what would happen if Major League Baseball ever tried to play a exhibition game in Ireland, since the origins of Baseball have been traced to just about every country in the world at one time or another...

Insert Witty Signature Here.

the fact that notre dame doesnt play at annapolis is in fact because that stadium is too small, and of course it's the money issue that makes them play at a neutral site (nfl stadiums) when it's navy's year to have a home game with notre dame. i think it's a load of crap too :mad: , but that's about 30-40,000+ more seats open for this rivalry at a neutral site.

quinn_samardzija_sig.jpg

Archived