Florida Marlins to Charlotte

jgsmith725

I was thinking earlier in the week, what if the marlins made the move to Charlotte. What could we name the team. Well, one of the choices for the new bball team that fans were able to vote on was the Charlotte Flight, and what could the mascot logo be, we have usair hub here and the air base. so why not use what the most common plane is at the base and that is a c-130. i used the kind of air force colors. navy blue, grey, and black. i plan to come up with some uniforms later on this week hopefully. let me know what you think of the idea.

primary and alternate logo. working on a hat logo next

CharlotteFlightBaseballLogos.png

appsiggold.png

I like the look of what you have done. My only thought is that the C-130 is kind of a boring plane, being just a large transport plane. I would suggest going with something a little more exciting (whether modern or old school).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'm guessing there are deeper connections between North Carolina and aviation than a C-130 and a local Air Force Base. There isn't a major city in the country that doesn't have an air base nearby. That, and there are other AFBs in North Carolina, east of the Charlotte/Mecklenburg area.

The allusion is more likely in reference to the Wright Brothers, Kitty Hawk and whatnot. Check your license plate, or the NC quarter that came out a couple eyars ago.

That said, I don't think a singular noun expressing an abstract or intangible concept like Flight would be allowed. Besides the Red and White Sox, every MLB team's name ends in "-s". So no matter how many people vote for the name, don't expect it to make the playing field. And there are better names out there.

As for the concept, it's beautifully-rendered and creative with the baseballs in the propellors. But I am not sure that the colors are that exciting, or work well together (navy and black, gray and black makes for very dark and dreary uniforms). Is the beveled edge beneath the "F" a corner of home plate?

Not bad, but I'm not crazy about the name or color choices, and it goes on from there.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Why not make the team name the Pilots, it works with your theme and the North Carolina connection to aviation, plus it gives you a wealth of history with the previous incarnation in MLB?

^^^^ another post proving why VD is the man :notworthy:

Once again, I agree with everything he said. The concept is fine, but it doesn't work at all as a baseball concept. To expand on Puck's point, Pilots is an option but after the Seattle Pilots, I doubt you would see that nickname return to MLB. My thought was the Aeros or Flyers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

^^^^ another post proving why VD is the man  :notworthy:

Is it OK to call him "VD"? That doesn't sound right, for obvious reasons. :P And, of course, he is the man.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I was thinking earlier in the week, what if the marlins made the move to Charlotte. What could we name the team. Well, one of the choices for the new bball team that fans were able to vote on was the Charlotte Flight, and what could the mascot logo be, we have usair hub here and the air base. so why not use what the most common plane is at the base and that is a c-130. i used the kind of air force colors. navy blue, grey, and black. i plan to come up with some uniforms later on this week hopefully. let me know what you think of the idea.

primary and alternate logo. working on a hat logo next

CharlotteFlightBaseballLogos.png

If the Marlins moved to Charlotte, thousands would drop dead from shock.

Charlotte has about as much chance of getting an MLB team as Anchorage thanks to the Knights not drawing flies.

Raleigh has a better shot at them. But in this case, that's not saying much.

nav-logo.png

i like the logos, especially the propellor on the baseball, but i'm not sure how the unis would look with the current colors. i would also rework the primary logo to say Charlotte Flight across the plane. i don't like the addition of "baseball club." i think you should have "CF" in front of the propellor, again taking away the baseball club. however, i like the logos overall.

jgsmith, your idea is pretty good. It could definitely work, though "Flight" doesn't necessarily have any Charlotte-specific connotations.

I thought about this too, a while back. Originally I went with "Monarchs," based on the origins of the names of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. But I couldn't really come up with a concept I liked for that name, so I settled on the "Grays," for a gray fox. So as not to hijack this thread, here's that concept if anyone is interested.

When you do the uniforms and whatnot, maybe consider using that graphite/gray color you have on the plane as the primary color. I think that would make sense (unlike what Toronto does), since it is the true color of the plane.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

thanks for all of your input, i will try to come up with something else and maybe use the pilots. i do like that. and will come up with someuniforms for these.

(Quote the Mad Mac)

If the Marlins moved to Charlotte, thousands would drop dead from shock.

Charlotte has about as much chance of getting an MLB team as Anchorage thanks to the Knights not drawing flies.

Raleigh has a better shot at them. But in this case, that's not saying much.

What does this have to do with the logo?

appsiggold.png

dude you got cool logo for team that might come true but i don't if marlins are going to play in charlotte,north carolina beside witch league would they play in if they did come to charlotte.

First of all, they will most likely remain in the National League. Second of all, did you by chance have trouble in your grammar classes? No offense, but.... Wow.

Have a nice day.

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

i agree with the comment of if the N. Carolina did get the soon to be defunked Marlins, the team would be put in Raleigh. Raleigh is more of a central location for the state. plus with Raleigh and surrounding areas rate of growth it is an obvious choice

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Looks very phalic. The perspective seems off, if i see that much of the body of the plane, i feel like i shoudl see more wing.

The plane looks like its crash landing, being pointed down, and having static-looking propellers. I'd add some motion lines to the props, were I doing this concept.

Also, the "wordmark" is very, very plain. Give it some zip. Or alter the font at least a little. I dont really get what the house-roof shape is beind the words, leading to the plane.

I think the idea of a baseball team witha flight motif is interesting, I just dont think you've gotten it all the way there yet.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Here's my 2 cents. I love the plane. I hate the name "Flight". If they were to use that logo or something like it, I would think that the Bombers would be more fitting. Now I know some may not like it or reference it to the Bronx Bombers, however there is no team in MLB team with the nickname Bombers. So I just think that would be more appropriate. :D

Bengalssuck.jpg

If the Marlins gonna move to Charlotte or Raleigh, it's a good bet they would name it Carolina Whatever. Not Raleigh or Charlotte. Look at the Panthers. They have a pretty good fanbase covering the two states of Carolinas. The bigger the fanbase, the more moolah MLB makes. That's my 2 cents.

As for the logo, it looks okay. It's generic. Flight isn't right. It could mean anything. A bird could take a flight. Aviators, I like.

i agree with the comment of if the N. Carolina did get the soon to be defunct Marlins, the team would be put in Raleigh. Raleigh is more of a central location for the state. plus with Raleigh and surrounding areas rate of growth it is an obvious choice

1. Raleigh is central to North Carolina. But Charlotte is more central to North AND South Carolina. Since South Carolina has as much chance of landing a pro sports franchise of its own as South Jersey does, Charlotte would be a fine fit (although Mad Mac's right - the Knights don't draw well; if a city was trying to show it deserved a team at the next level, you'd think they'd let their wallets do the talking...) since they could draw from both states. And Charlotte is only 2-3 hours from the Triangle (especially since the speed limit is 70 most of the way on 85!), and less than 2 from Greensboro.

2. Raleigh's population grew 38% in the '90s, and Charlotte's grew almost 30% over the same time. But Charlotte's population is still nearly double Raleigh's. Charlotte also has a bigger metropolitan area, over 2 million people. Raleigh is a great choice, but hardly an "obvious" one. And both cities are chock full of Northern transplants (I was one, back in the day...) who'll bring their loyalties with them - kinda the way people did in Florida. Which is why every Yankees-Devil Rays game sounds like it's in the Bronx. Either market would require a decade or two of patience to allow the team to take hold and grow.

^^^^ another post proving why VD is the man  :notworthy:

Is it OK to call him "VD"? That doesn't sound right, for obvious reasons. :P And, of course, he is the man.

It's more than OK. I've been called far worse. :P

As for the debate about being the man... :blush: undeserved but appreciated all the same.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived