New pitt logo, good or bad?

maz

The panther logo looks nothing like a panther. I don't even know what I can compare it to. You can't make anything out of it- seems like someone just scribbled and they called it a panther. I'm not calling the new logo great, I'm just saying, that panther logo is one of the worst in all sports.

-Rob Roy

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that hates the Pitt panther. I've hated that thing since the day they unveiled it. Plus I thought it was pretty stupid when they said "We're not Pitt anymore," even though it was good enough when they were winning national titles.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

But, it is what most of us associate with Pitt. They had a an identity with the script "pitt". I'm too young/old to remember them with anything before that. It wasn't soft or tough. The players wearing it are what mattered. Give me Ironhead plowing into the line on any Saturday and I'm happy. If they had the old/current "PITT" fifty years before the script one, then you have a point. I'll accept that.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

That Panther might be the worst logo in any major conference.

The block "PITT" is a step in the right direction, but to me, Pitt will always be Mustard and Blue, with that script "Pitt" logo

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I like the panther more than the new Pitt logo (and more than the old Pitt script, too). The new one looks too plain, as did the script. At least they waited until after I graduated to change it.

Sorry, Lurker here.

I go to Pitt (So I hear these things a lot), When Steve Pederson, our old AD, moved to Nebraska, almost immediately the program wanted to revert back to being Pitt. I can't really blame them, being called "Pittsburgh" kind of mixed their identity with the far more popular Steelers (it's bad enough the word "Panthers" is written in the Steeler font on the gates of Heinz Field, embarrassing if you ask me).

Anyway, Pederson was die-hard about changing it to the full name to make the university sound more prestiged (Because, you know, when I think of Cities of Prestige, I think of Pittsburgh). Anyway, it failed miserably and everyone here still calls it Pitt. When Jeff Long came here, they basically started the process of changing us officially back to Pitt. This year against Youngstown State (as you all know) we wore the scripties and it was a HUGE success. I see more script pitt jerseys around than the new sidestripe ones. The students here also have a petition to get back script pitt. Of course, that'll never happen, with the Athletic Department spending wads of cash for an artist to 'design' a logo that is block letters at a slight arch.

Keep in mind, anyone who's been to the Peterson Events Center knows they have a MASSIVE Pitt Beaver/Arch Pittsburgh logo (as seen in the first post) right in the entranceway. It's just opened a few years ago and already the logo is outdated...

BTW, no one here likes the Pittsburgh Beaver logo either.

Archived