UNC Color Name?

Avsman

I had a quick question. I was wondering if anyone knew the actual name of the "Columbia" or light blue that the UNC Tarheels use. This forum seems to always answer my questions and even though I emailed UNC, they did not feel the need to respond. Thanks in advance.

Avsman.png

Dennis.gif

Have you ever looked at sports logos...ON WEED?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, it's official name is PMS 278C for athletics and PMS 297C for the academics.

As for names of colours. Perhaps it's called "Light Blue"? Maybe "Sky Blue"?

I don't like Carolina Blue. Carolina is a girl's name. Blue is a boy's colour.

I prefer the name Dennis. After one of my favorite on screen characters.

(I didn't know you were called Dennis)

Dennis Blue is what I will be referring to it as from now on.

PS Just so Pantone doesn't get in any trouble here's the link to a page confirming 278 is Dennis Blue.

http://www.licensing.unc.edu/New/Styleshee...eStylesheet.htm

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Carolina may be a girl's name, but it's also the name of the state and the university. I think if you ask a random sports fan what "Carolina Blue" is, they are likely to think of the Tarheels, and associate it with light blue.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Carolina may be a girl's name, but it's also the name of the state and the university. I think if you ask a random sports fan what "Carolina Blue" is, they are likely to think of the Tarheels, and associate it with light blue.

I asked 3 people in the office here, all sports fans, and here are their responses.

I asked what colour Carolina Blue was

A. Light Blue b. Royal Blue and C. Navy Blue.

All three said C. (OK the third person looked at the second's answer before answering)

I asked all 3 : "What is Carolina?"

All said "a state in America". (It's not, there's no one state called Carolina)

I showed them PMS 287C and asked what colour they called it.

They all called it either sky blue (66% of resondents) or light blue (33%).

I tried to explain it was now called Dennis Blue, and got blank looks.

In summation, I think you're wrong jp. I've market researched this, and Dennis is the only alternative.

It won't be hard, just drop it in conversation like some people use the word shizzle and soon it will be part of the colour spectrum. Pale Blue Sky Blue, Light Blue, Dennis Blue, Columbia Blue, Carolina Blue, Oxford Blue, Cambridge Blue, Royal Blue, Navy Blue.

See; you didn't even notice.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

it really depends on the part of the country you're from. Growing up in Ohio i was taught that color was called "SKY BLUE" but since i live in "ACC COUNTRY" now its refered to as "Carolina Blue". i think most companys use SKY or LIGHT BLUE as color names except for NIKE(thanks to M. Jordan) who call it CAROLINA BLUE

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

it really depends on the part of the country you're from. Growing up in Ohio i was taught that color was called "SKY BLUE" but since i live in "ACC COUNTRY" now its refered to as "Carolina Blue". i think most companys use SKY or LIGHT BLUE as color names except for NIKE(thanks to M. Jordan) who call it CAROLINA BLUE

Exactly!!

Why listen to the people who brought us the Oregon Ducks alternates when it comes to aspects of design?

Dennis.gif

The campaign starts here.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Nike doesn't just call it Carolina Blue. Everyone here in the state of NC (where it's most important) calls it Carolina Blue, and know exactly what shade it is.

It's a rather touchy subject with Tar Heels (two words), because it is a unique color associated with our university, and athletic teams, and we claim it as our color.

From what I can tell, Nike doesn't seem to call it carolina blue anymore. On their website all the light blue products are now called "university blue." And I distinctly remember you could buy air jordans in "columbia blue." But you could once also buy shorts in "carolina blue." Er... yeah.

And, though they are different pantone-wise (pantonely? pantonically? - Columbia's blue looks lighter), Columbia did use the light blue earlier than Carolina (1754 vs. 1789), so that may be where the whole name thing gets confused...

I asked 3 people in the office here, all sports fans, and here are their responses.

I asked what colour Carolina Blue was

A. Light Blue b. Royal Blue and C. Navy Blue.

All three said C. (OK the third person looked at the second's answer before answering)

I asked all 3 : "What is Carolina?"

All said "a state in America". (It's not, there's no one state called Carolina)

I showed them PMS 287C and asked what colour they called it.

They all called it either sky blue (66% of resondents) or light blue (33%).

I tried to explain it was now called Dennis Blue, and got blank looks.

In summation, I think you're wrong jp. I've market researched this, and Dennis is the only alternative.

It won't be hard, just drop it in conversation like some people use the word shizzle and soon it will be part of the colour spectrum. Pale Blue Sky Blue, Light Blue, Dennis Blue, Columbia Blue, Carolina Blue, Oxford Blue, Cambridge Blue, Royal Blue, Navy Blue.

See; you didn't even notice.

Okay, a little correction's in order here:

Carolina may be a girl's name, but it's also the name of the state and the university. I think if you ask a random American sports fan what "Carolina Blue" is, they are likely to think of the Tarheels, and associate it with light blue.

nav-logo.png

Archived