Mogilny Waived

jkrdevil

Devils place Mogilny on waivers

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.-- Alexander Mogilny was placed on waivers by the New Jersey Devils on Wednesday, a day after the return of Patrik Elias.

Elias was back in the lineup Tuesday night against Florida after missing several months with hepatitis.

With Mogilny on the bench, Elias took his place and assisted on one of Brian Gionta's two goals in the 3-0 victory.

After the game, coach Lou Lamoriello would only say that Mogilny was a healthy scratch. On Wednesday, he said the move was "strictly a personnel decision."

Mogilny, who scored 43 goals for the Devils' Stanley Cup-winning team in 2000, was re-signed for a reported $7 million over two years in August after playing three seasons with Toronto. The forward was third on the Devils in scoring this season with 12 goals and 13 assists in 34 games but had not scored in his last six games.

Good opportunity for Buffalo (who has stated that they want more scoring) to pick him up, although, that would be quite an expensive move. The only type of guys that have been picked up on waivers this year are the guys making under one million, or close to it (Kolanos)

But with Elias back, that cap is awfully squishy in New Jersey, that's why I figure they made this move as well.

Saw this on TSN.ca earlier today. They were saying that with Elias back, they were coming in just under the cap, and moving Mogilny's $3.5 million a year would help ease that.

Mogilny has not played well all year with Elias returning they need to free up some money.

Mogilny has 25 points so far, which is nothing to slouch at especially on an offensively challenged team like the Devils. I don't think Mogilny hasn't been playing well, I think the Devils just don't feel they're getting quite their money's worth.

Β 

Β 

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Β 

Β 

I can say I see Ottawa swooping in and claiming him, or even San Jose, who needs Nolan when you know Mogilny can still play at a high level, as he has so proved so far this season...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

It's all about the cap--including who signs him, so while part of me would love to see him as a Flame--I don't think it will happen.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The only way someone is getting mogilny is through a trade. were New Jersey eats up a least one million of his contract putting it at 2.5 million, i would be shocked though i love Mogilny and want the Leafs to pick him up, at that price any team would be crazy! how about Nik Antropov and Mariuz Czerkawski for Alex Mogilny.

untitled-6.jpg

the fan in me wants the Wild to pick him up, he's one of my favorite players ever.

I agree, but we both know that would never happen in a million years.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

If Mogilny clears, he then becomes eligible to be sent to the minors. Then, I suspect the Devils would try to trade him, because if he were recalled, he would have to clear waivers again, and this time the claiming team would only have to pay half his salary while the Devils would pick up the rest.

Archived