Theo Fleury confronts fans, ejected from game

officeglenn

And the rollercoaster ride known as the life of Theo Fleury just keeps on going: TSN.ca

COVENTRY, England (CP) - Former NHL star Theo Fleury was ejected from a British Elite Ice Hockey League game Sunday night following an altercation with Coventry fans.

Fleury, playing for the Belfast Giants, was in the penalty box in the second period when fans began yelling at him. Fleury then reportedly tried to get at some of the spectators, earning a game misconduct from referee Mike Hicks.

The contest was a testy one, with the News Letter of Northern Ireland newspaper reporting security had to be called to the Giants bench on a number of occasions, resulting in stoppages in play.

Coventry won the game 3-0, handing the Giants just their second loss in two months, a span of 15 games.

Fleury has 12 goals and 45 points in 22 games - as well as a team-high 131 penalty minutes - with Belfast, which tops the league standings with 47 points from 30 games. Coventry is fourth with 34 points from 27 games.

Belfast coach Ed Courtney blamed Coventry fans for the incident.

"Shameful, classless once again and I don't speak for all the people in Coventry but most of their fans are an embarrassment," he told the News Letter of Northern Ireland. "It's an embarrassment to the league."

Coventry has denied hearing any abusive remarks, which bothered Courtney.

"For Mike Cowley, the owner of the team to come to me and tell me he hears nothing is an embarrassment," Courtney told the newspaper. "He was in the room with me when the linesman said he had heard what was being shouted, words aimed at Theo that again I don't need to repeat."

First off: British people play ice hockey?

Secondly: Why would someone like Theo Fleury, who still has a very slim chance of survival in the NHL, play in England? Hello, why not join the DEL or something...

Secondly: Why would someone like Theo Fleury, who still has a very slim chance of survival in the NHL, play in England? Hello, why not join the DEL or something...

To get out of the spotlight. Theo has a had a troubled life. In any of the major elite leagues he'd be under a lot of pressure and always be in the public eye just for his history. In the little know British league, he gets to play pro hockey and yet (most of the time) keep himself out of a lot of public scrutiny.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Theo Fleury is always and will be one the better hockey players. He is always been a great player even with alot of problems hes had. Hes not a joke tank, hes just trying to play hockey and but people just seem to like to egg him on and not let him jsut play the game anymore.

spacer.png

The British Elite League is actually sponsored by the NHL and is available to look at(same with Australia's Hockey League) via NHL.com up at the top from the dropdown menus.

1: British people have been playing hockey for a long time. One of the first members of the IIHF. They actually won Olympic gold one time. Infact, the British even invented the game. (Even if they were in Canada at the time.) Back in the 50's and 60's, the British hockey clubs were some of the best in the world. Probably right behind the Soviet and Scandinavian clubs. There has always been a deep passionate grassroots level of cult support for the game in Britian.

That said, Theo technically plays in Ireland, not England. This happened at an away game in England.

2: Theo probably chose the British Elite League over the DEL for a few reasons. Probably because he didn't want to be under as big of a spotlight. He probably would've cracked even earlier in Germany. Also, he speaks English, not German. He probably wanted to play somewhere where he could understand what people were saying to him.

Although Germany might've been better in that case. Can't get mad at fans if you don't know what they're saying. :P And the DEL isn't that much better than the British League. The DEL is comparable to the ECHL in the States, and the British League is comparable to the UHL or SPHL. Not a huge difference.

Well, techincally he plays in Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, rather than Ireland, which isn't.

I was going to catch a game in London next month... except that the Racers suspended operations, due to rink issues. Damnit.

I believe someone invovled in the ownership or management is Canadian, and convinced Fleury to ciome play for Belfast. ESPN.com had a good article on it when he signed, but of course it's behind the insider blockade now.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Well, techincally he plays in Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, rather than Ireland, which isn't.

I was going to catch a game in London next month... except that the Racers suspended operations, due to rink issues. Damnit.

I believe someone invovled in the ownership or management is Canadian, and convinced Fleury to ciome play for Belfast. ESPN.com had a good article on it when he signed, but of course it's behind the insider blockade now.

Rink Issues? London forgot they had one? :therock:

This guy is fighting alcoolism and he went to play in Ireland...

ahahahhahahahahahahahah

Great personnal move!

That would be funny if it weren't such a sad case.

<looks both ways>

Yea, that was funny after all. :D

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived