dino-dna

1stDownCreative

Nice work. I don't have much to recommend except perhaps heightening the contrast and/or saturation of the colors for a more dramatic effect (especially to accentuate the difference between the reds and between the golds).

Maybe some heavier black around his eye would make him look meaner, but that's trifling. I don't think I would add a neck since he has to end somewhere.

I really dig your personal logo as well. Probably won't get you many design jobs for children's publications though :)

forumbanner-bno.jpg

Little Jurassic Park - Dino DNA; a most excellent logo. I would love to see the full body (or a least shoulders) and the text.

Suggested team name: Tri-Horns

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

This is a very good starting point. In my opinion, it's a little too detailed and realistic to thrive as an athletic logo.

First off, you have too many colors. There are 6, not including the white base color. Count how many good logos have that many colors. You probably won't find many. You could simplify this logo for the better by using only black, maroon, and gold. Use black for your shadows instead of darker values of your team colors. It will make the shadows tighter, simpler, and cleaner, and it will give you the contrast your forms are lacking. As it is now, it looks much more like a well-rendered cartoon character than an athletic logo, athough if that was your intention, I'm about to waste a bunch of your time.

I'll share with you a good technique that helps one develop properly contrasted shadows, and a good technique that helped me to stop relying simply on darker values for shadows: Build your form in two colors. ONLY two colors, say black & white, whatever, as long as it's only two colors. Now, look at your piece again, and notice how flat it looks. Notice how it just looks like some white shapes and black outlines, more or less. It may look good, but it doesn't look quite "finished," kind of like an un-inked comic book. Just look at your Roxstar Media logo for an example. That's a great black and white logo, and it uses the shadow technique I'm explaining very well. On top of being well-composed and beautifully rendered, simple black shadows are used to give that skull great depth and definition.

Now, go back and add some appropriate shadows in black to cover some of the flat white space. Slowly, and with practice, your piece will start to gain depth and definition. It will gain balance. Your design will be more reproducible, as well, allowing you to pursue more options when applying it to clothing, print, signage, etc. Now you can go back and fill in your team colors. Make sure all your details are large enough that they can be seen at small scale, as well.

Use color theory concepts when adding color to your pieces. Experiment. For example, here you may start by trying black for your shadows, maroon for your dinosaur skin, and white for your highlights. But what about trying gold for your highlights? Most lighter colors will read as a highlight on maroon, just as most darker colors will read as a shadow, meaning, your outlines and shadows do not have to be black, either. maybe your outlines and shadows are maroon, then your dinosaur skin is gold, and your highlights are white. Endless possibilities.

It's a very good habit to create logos in black & white, then use color theory concepts to add color at a later time. If a piece succeeds in black & white, it will succeed in color, but a design that looks good in color will not always look good in black & white. I find logos to be beautiful when presented in black & white. I like seeing the "bones" of a logo separately, as the form and the color, before combining them. It helps me appreciate the individual parts of the logo, and the harmony that emerged from the combination of form and color.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think it's stronger already. I would definitely go with the red version here. I also like blue as the primary dark. Red, yellow, and blue is a tried and true combination, and it works well. In addition, red definitely fits the "Rage" nickname better. Your wordmark fits the subject matter very well, also. Nicely done.

Right now, you've got a really good logo. It has a certain style that may be sacrificed if you were to take my suggestions any further. You could, but it may transform into a simpler, more iconic piece like the Denver Broncos logo, whereas it currently has a more whimsical, cartoon feel like the Iowa State logo.

It's really a matter of taste from here on out. Good job. There really isn't much more I'd do to make this logo, in this style, perfect. It's really just miniscule technical things that are mostly aesthetic and personal preference. I would probably add a little more blue and a little less red even, to give it more balance, for example.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

these logos are phenomenal, however, i would like to see a darker green dino as well. you have 2 red ones with different shades and yu have 1 green. let's see how it turns out with a darker green one as a comparison. great job!

Unless you went for more of an olive/dark green color, I'd stay with the red. Primary colors, red for rage... it works. Very nicely done. The negative space in the "R" is clever as well.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Wow. Very nice. I think the red looks better, and your wordmark is fine. Too bad I'm afraid of dinosaurs....seriously. I was at the Toys R Us in New York, and the giant T-Rex scared the you-know-what out of me when it started going nuts right beside me. But, back on topic, I really like what you've done here, one of the best concepts I've seen on here. Can't wait for more.

Does anyone find it odd that despite a number of awesome mascots from the prehistoric age that none of them other than Raptors has a truly compelling and seamless name?

Anyways, awesome job on the logo. I personally think the red one is the better one...green seems a tad too "lizard-like" for a dinosaur, if that makes sense.

GR30a5H.png

Archived