Largent

slats7

I believe Bike did those helmets. The name Dungard also keeps popping up in my mind. They may have been the facemask manufacturer. For a number of years in the 70's and early 80's the Chiefs used those "flat cage" style of masks exclusively - no bar-style masks whatsoever.

Actually, depending on the date of that photo (and thus what "era" you're referring to), that is a very common facemask. Most members of the Chiefs wore that style in the 70s/early 80s, as did many of the Seahawks and Chargers (Chuck Muncie, for example). It was manufactured by Dungard. (Helmet Hut - Dungard)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

"Sleeves" need to be required on all NFL jerseys, first. THEN we can talk about placing numbers and three stripes on them.

But I agree- Great uniforms.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I believe Bike did those helmets. The name Dungard also keeps popping up in my mind. They may have been the facemask manufacturer. For a number of years in the 70's and early 80's the Chiefs used those "flat cage" style of masks exclusively - no bar-style masks whatsoever.

You're right. Totally overlooked that team.

That is a Riddell helmet (note the center ridge) with a Dungard mask. Dungard went out of business in the mid-late 80's after it was determined that the mask didn't have enough "give" to be as protective as the Schutt facemask, which is used by almost all players today.

The Chiefs were early supporters of Dungard, using the masks from the 60's through the early 80's. Probably their biggest contribution to football fashion was they were the first to make masks in colors other than grey. According to something I read on the HelmetHut site, when the Chargers went through their redesign in 1974, whoever drew the mock-up of the new helmet put a yellow facemask on it. The Chargers decided this looked good and checked to see if it could be done. Riddell and Schutt said that they only made grey masks, but Dungard decided to try it and supplied the Chargers with yellow masks in 1974. The other manufacturers fell in line and started making masks in different colors.

Adding to what sj32 posted, the Dungard masks were actually outlawed by the NFL because they didn't have enough give and could cause neck injuries - if you look at Largent's picture you can see that the mask is attached directly to the helmet at the sweatband, plus the way the side attachment strap doesn't have room to flex and absorb shock as well as modern facemasks.

Of course, the NFL "grandfathered" in anyone who was already wearing one when they were banned; Morten Anderson wore one forever. That's also why they made such a big deal when Tren Dilfer wanted to wear one of Terry Bradshaw's old masks a few years ago when Dilfer was still with Tampa Bay.

My main issue with this version of the Seahawks uniform was the white jersey didn't match the blue jersey - the stripes on the white jersey were the same as the pants stripes (green/white space/blue/white space/green); I always preferred the logo jerseys of 1983-2001.

slats7's pictures show Largent's face mask progression pretty well; now we just need to find one from after 1983. I had actually forgotten that he wore a regular Schutt/Cramer mask shown in the 1978 photo after the Dungard.

That is a short-lived Riddell mask in the 1980 photo - those only lasted from 1978 or 1979 until about 1982.

Sometime after the Seahawks updated their uniforms to the wrap-around sleeve logo and blue facemasks, I remember Largent wearing a blue plastic Riddell 2-bar mask.

Also, it appears Largent favored the Riddell PAC-3 helmet - there are no inflation points along the center ridge (which doesn't appear to be covered), and you can see the open center vent hole (that would be filled with an inflator for an HA-9 or a Micro-Fit).

I believe these teams had a number of players who wore this brand of mask(not necessarily the model in question):

Chiefs

Seahawks

Chargers

Lions

Saints

and of course Bradshaw and Bob Griese at one time as well...

Contract this...."

251799582_m.jpg

It looks like the Seahawks were playing the Jets at Shea in that picture, so it probably had to have been between 1976 and 1983, right?

is that shea? does anyone know if the seahawks played anywhere other than the kingdome in their early years?

It looks like the Seahawks were playing the Jets at Shea in that picture, so it probably had to have been between 1976 and 1983, right?

is that shea? does anyone know if the seahawks played anywhere other than the kingdome in their early years?

I'm pretty sure the Kingdome opened in 1976 and was ready for the Seahawks pre-season opener.

I'm also pretty sure the Jets wore white at home off and on during during the years they wore those uniforms. Also, I just checked at "Football Uniforms Past & Present" and "The Helmet Project" (because I couldn't remember the exact date), and verified that the Jets switched to the green helmet uniforms in 1978. I don't know why I thought that happened in 1977. They say that memory is the first thing to go :wacko:

I'm pretty sure the Kingdome opened in 1976 and was ready for the Seahawks pre-season opener.

I'm also pretty sure the Jets wore white at home off and on during during the years they wore those uniforms. Also, I just checked at "Football Uniforms Past & Present" and "The Helmet Project" (because I couldn't remember the exact date), and verified that the Jets switched to the green helmet uniforms in 1978. I don't know why I thought that happened in 1977. They say that memory is the first thing to go :wacko:

The Kingdome was the only home to the Seahawks until their move to Husky Stadium in 2000 while the Dome was imploded and Seahawks Stadium/Qwest Field was built. The only exception was in 1994 when the Kingdome roof was undergoing repair.

Sooo... chances are good that this is Shea.

Archived