Sonics to OKC?

mfoster

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/2..._schultz02.html

Oklahoma City is not mentioned, but it's becomming increasingly clear that either they will retain the Hornets (and NO gets a new team), or the Hornets will return to NO and OKC gets an expansion or relocated team.

So, if OKC got the Sonics... since OKC is the corporate home for Sonic Drive-In, would the basketball team change logos to skating carhops?

*ducks*

Marc

Well, although mentioned, we can certainly rule out them moving to San Jose or Anaheim, seeing as how that would give either NorCal or SoCal 3 teams, which is complete overkill.

VmWIn6B.png

I don't know....I think they're holding the city for ransom like every team does by saying relocation is a possibility. I think a deal will get done, but....

The All-Star Game is in Las Vegas next year, maybe it won't be the only city to host without an NBA team!!!!!!

My prediction: they dont get what they want, they either upgrade KeyArena or build in Bellvue.

Is this the freaking ABA? Do we hand out expansion teams like candy? See the OKC Hornets thread. Buffalo and Pittsburgh are not doing so hot. Louisville doesn't have the arena for it. Neither does Cincinnati. Neither does Las Vegas, which is also too small and has too many established fans. Tennessee can't support two teams, neither can Washington-Baltimore.

Are you thinking about demographics, logistics, or anything, or are you looking at a semi-detailed map of the United States and cherry-picking every mid-sized city with a dot on the map that isn't in the league?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Cities that schould have a NBA Team:

Buffalo

Nashville

Cincy

Las Vegas

Kansas City/St. Louis

Baltimore

Louisville

Pittsburgh

Buffalo: maybe, I just don't know if Buffalo is a 3-team market

Nashville *coughs* Memphis

Cincinnati-somehow, I just don't see it.

Las Vegas-Las Vegas Kings in 2007-08

KC/Stl-maybe, St. Louis got hosed by the NBA in the late 90s over the Grizzlies, KC has a nice arena, one or both could work.

Baltimore-no fluffing way

Louisville-get that arena, then we'll talk

Pittsburgh-get an arena, and then we'll still realize Pitt rules this city.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is this the freaking ABA? Do we hand out expansion teams like candy? See the OKC Hornets thread. Buffalo and Pittsburgh are not doing so hot. Louisville doesn't have the arena for it. Neither does Cincinnati. Neither does Las Vegas, which is also too small and has too many established fans. Tennessee can't support two teams, neither can Washington-Baltimore.

Are you thinking about demographics, logistics, or anything, or are you looking at a semi-detailed map of the United States and cherry-picking every mid-sized city with a dot on the map that isn't in the league?

Cincinnati does have an arena for a team- it's right next to the Reds stadium.

Besides, the Bay Area could use an NBA team. Oh, wait..I forgot..well, technically, we have one I guess.

The article says:

Schultz reiterated the ownership group plans to honor the remainder of the lease but could possibly look to move the team after 2010 or sell it to an ownership group that could relocate. San Jose, Las Vegas, Kansas City and Anaheim are among cities seeking an NBA team.

San Jose? No way! Not with the Warriors 45 min (if you're lucky) away. They'd never let that happen. Just like the Giants wouldn't ever let the As go to SJ- they own the territory.

Forget San Jose, PLEASE! Do we really need another crappy basketball team in Northern California?

We have 4 college teams, and 2 "pro" teams that do the job.

BTW, wasn't Key Arena rebuilt from the ground up not even 10 years ago? Why is there another arena referendum being asked?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Forget San Jose, PLEASE! Do we really need another crappy basketball team in Northern California?

We have 4 college teams, and 2 "pro" teams that do the job.

BTW, wasn't Key Arena rebuilt from the ground up not even 10 years ago? Why is there another arena referendum being asked?

Only the insides were re-done. The shell remained the same which actually hurt the process. In doing so, they made smaller concourses, a tighter seating bowl and it insufficient to host pro hockey.

Seattle will keep the Sonics. There's enough NBA-caliber players to fill another 2-4 rosters easily (the issue is whether there's enough NBA-caliber GM's and coaches to run 2-4 more franchises). The truly viable markets will get teams either by expansion or migration of teams from markets that are truly failing. Seattle is far from a failing NBA market.

Here's my comment from the other thread:

Man, crazy. I think the NFL is wrong by moving the Saints back too soon. I like the idea of an OKC team, its pretty interesting. But the Hornets might just stay!?!

SARCASM STARTS NOW:

So that leaves out NO, so NO gets an expansion deal. But the Sonics want to move, so they move to Vegas. And then the Sonics name stays in Seattle for another expansion team, but OKC needs a team, so they get an expansion team.....and then Stern expands to Paris, Madrid and London with future plans of Mars. ^_^

OK, why would anyone want to move the Sonics to OKC when the Hornets have been a monster draw in Oklahoma City (And in Norman, where they had a game there)

Plus, the Sonics have something the other Seattle teams don't have: A championship (Of course, that'll change after Sunday night when the 'Hawks win).

Cincinnati does have an arena for a team- it's right next to the Reds stadium.

Besides, the Bay Area could use an NBA team. Oh, wait..I forgot..well, technically, we have one I guess.

The article says:

Schultz reiterated the ownership group plans to honor the remainder of the lease but could possibly look to move the team after 2010 or sell it to an ownership group that could relocate. San Jose, Las Vegas, Kansas City and Anaheim are among cities seeking an NBA team.

San Jose? No way! Not with the Warriors 45 min (if you're lucky) away. They'd never let that happen. Just like the Giants wouldn't ever let the As go to SJ- they own the territory.

Well, if they move to Anaheim, are they going to rename the team the Anaheim Supersonics of Los Angeles? ASLA on the tv scoreboards.... :suspect: just gives me the shudders

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

Well, if they move to Anaheim, are they going to rename the team the Anaheim Supersonics of Los Angeles?

Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived