Raptors trade Jalen Rose

officeglenn

TSN.ca is reporting that the Toronto Raptors have dealt Jalen Rose and a first-round pick to the New York Knicks in exchange for Antonio Davis.

Apparently this is a big salary dump for the Raps, as Rose was due to make $16.9 million next season. Davis is making $13.9 million this year, but his contract is up at the end of the year, which should clear up some cap room for Toronto.

I would say this is a good move for Toronto ... except for that first-rounder they threw in. Clearly they needed to make this deal to help out the bottom line, but I think they gave the Knicks way too much for Davis.

Discuss.

Uhhh why the 1st rounder?? The trade was great up until that, basically a 1st RDP for a salary dump.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

yeah, that's puzzling. First rounder? Not only that, didn't the Raptors trade Davis to Chicago for Rose in a multi-player deal a couple of years back? strange.....

EDIT: I just found out the first round pick originally belonged to Denver

I saw, I came, I left.

You gotta love the :censored:ing New York Knicks, taking on the $17M salary of yet another middling swingman. Genius.

May every team I hate be so well run.

poor Rose, but can you say they are soooo well run, no offense to Zeek, but do you really think he knows what he's doing?

I hate my life.

Isiah makes me want to punch a baby, it's ridiculous.

Thomas officially needs to be fired. He takes on another swingman, another bloated contract, a locker room cancer. The only plus is the cash and pick coming our way.... but this team no longer needs youth. The draft (especially Denver's pick, probably around 19th or 20th) is useless... Knicks need leadership, toughness, and a defensive presence. A true point guard to backup Marbury and replace Crawford would be nice too.

But Isiah Thomas is too busy stockpiling overrated swingmen. I suppose this means one or more of the following are on their way out: Quentin Richardson, Jamal Crawford, Trevor Ariza, Penny Hardaway, Jerome James.

Time to upgrade the ol' sig with a little Fire-Isiah action.

I'm going to go pound my face into the wall now. Peace.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

taking on the $17M salary of yet another middling swingman.

No kidding, they already have Q-Rich, Ariza, Penny Hardaway, and now Rose?

Bad trade for both teams, a team like TO, that needs all the help they can get trade AWAY a FIRST ROUND pick? Almost makes Mike Babcock look like a genious

I hate my life.

Isiah makes me want to punch a baby, it's ridiculous.

Thomas officially needs to be fired. He takes on another swingman, another bloated contract, a locker room cancer. The only plus is the cash and pick coming our way.... but this team no longer needs youth. The draft (especially Denver's pick, probably around 19th or 20th) is useless... Knicks need leadership, toughness, and a defensive presence. A true point guard to backup Marbury and replace Crawford would be nice too.

But Isiah Thomas is too busy stockpiling overrated swingmen. I suppose this means one or more of the following are on their way out: Quentin Richardson, Jamal Crawford, Trevor Ariza, Penny Hardaway, Jerome James.

Time to upgrade the ol' sig with a little Fire-Isiah action.

I'm going to go pound my face into the wall now. Peace.

Isiah is a horrendous GM, this deal is totally moronic, sure he may have gotten a first round pick and as bad as the Raptors are it likely will be a lottery pick, but the weight of Jalen Rose a mediocre washed up player continues to keep the Knicks hamstrung its time they stop getting washed up has beens with big contracts and go young and go cheap so they can go after a big free agent when the time is right ie LeBron.

BTW its a bad deal for the Raptors too Davis has nuttin left giving up a lottery pick is really bad.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

You gotta love the :censored:ing New York Knicks, taking on the $17M salary of yet another middling swingman.Β  Genius.

poor Rose, but can you say they are soooo well run, no offense to Zeek, but do you really think he knows what he's doing?

Sarcasm, my good man. Sarcasm.

You gotta love the :censored:ing New York Knicks, taking on the $17M salary of yet another middling swingman.Β  Genius.

Sarcasm, my good man. Sarcasm.

oh I know it was sarcasm, but come on do you think I would actually let you go through without getting a little bit of bs from me :P

I dont get why they have to give up a 1st round. They are guna end up having probally 8/7 pick in the draft and we they screwed themselfs, by giving it up to the knicks.

Horrible, horrible trade.

Again, the pick will not be an 8/7th overall pick. The pick going to New York is Denver's... therefore, barring a complete collapse, the Nuggets pick will be worth somewhere in the 20th overal pick range.

I suppose if Zeke lasts long enough, his one proven talent is the draft. So I guess we can find something good there.

But I'm still pissed.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Yep its not a lottery pick just double checked it this makes it an nonsesnsical deal for the KNicks tehy are stuck witha nother bad contract for a mediocre aging player.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yep its not a lottery pick just double checked it this makes it an nonsesnsical deal for the KNicks tehy are stuck witha nother bad contract for a mediocre aging player.

Well, I don't know if I'd call it nonsensical.

Here's how it more or less breaks down.

Raptors:

-Dump Rose's contract for Antonio Davis' expiring contract - and for the remainder of the season, veteran leadership, a defensive presence and rebounding (Raps are one of the bottom teams in the league in rebounding). Good to have when you've got guys like Chris Bosh and Charlie Villanueva so they can learn from an experienced vet - Jalen wasn't going to teach them anything. Davis is also friends with coach Sam Mitchell from their playing days in Indiana under Larry Brown. Nice bridge between coach-and-roster.

Knicks:

-The Knicks lose an expiring contract in Davis, and pick up Jalen Rose, who's contract expires next season: basically just trading an expiring deal this year for one next year, and arguably, a better piece of trade bait before the deadline next season.

-NY receives cash from the Raptors as well, which offsets Rose's contract that they pick up.

-NY receives Denver's 1st round draft pick, probably in the 20s... The pick is the key to the trade, because it "makes up" for giving the Bulls the Knicks lottery pick in the Eddy Curry deal. Granted, if the Curry deal didn't happen, NY is looking at a top 3 pick... but 20th or so isn't terrible, assuming Isiah is still around, as the draft is his only skill.

-NY receives the player, Jalen Rose, who does fit the team's need for a SF who can consistently score. The problem is, and this is why I don't like the trade, the Knicks already have a reservoir of swingmen. Trevor Ariza, Qyntel Woods (starting SF now), Quentin Richardson - and Jamal Crawford if you consider him one being able to play the SG and PG positions (perhaps even Nate Robinson fits there as well). At the very least, Jalen Rose is now one of four players who play the 3 or 2. That moves everyone farther down on the depth chart - meaning Qyntel Woods who has shown some nice things thus far and is starting, back to the bench, for another lineup change. Quentin Richardson gets pumped back to the 2, where he's playing out of position, and then once again, Trevor Ariza is back in street clothes.

On top of it all, Jalen Rose doesn't play defense. What's the point in getting another player who can't play the way Larry Brown wants them to? Sure, Q hasn't been shooting the ball terribly well, but the man has been playing solid defense most of the season - shutting down LeBron in the 4th quarter and also holding back Ben Gordon in Chicago (until Ariza "guards" him on his buzzer beater). The fact that Rose is also known to be a locker room cancer doesn't make him any more appealing, unless your name is Isiah Thomas.

The overall point is, this is a quick fix meant to up scoring the rest of this season and to distract everyone from Isiah's little sexual harassment problem. It's meant to put a band-aid on the Knicks lack of scoring at the SF... it's really a waste of time however. Rose's scoring and clutch play in the 4th is maybe good for like 2-3 wins tops. That's even assuming the Knicks defense can keep it relatively close unlike the last 3 consecutive blowouts.

I think I'm going to lobby for the position as Knicks GM. If NBA 2K6 is an accurate mirror of front office life, I'll have the Knicks under the cap by 2007 and have a playoff contender. :D

I dont see it as a real bad move for the Raps,dumping the salary is huge,i dont see how any "rebuilding" team could carry a salary like that.I gotta wonder if Davis will even report though,didnt he make waves last time he was a Rap?

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis ArchersΒ - MLF

Β 

Apparently there's a good chance he won't suit up for them, and he'll end up going back to Chicago. So I've read.

I agree, this was a salary dump to get a disgruntled/overpaid Jalen Rose out of town, bring in a guy who doesn't want to be there, and send him back home to Chicago for a few pizza crusts.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Well, it would've been an alright trade, except for the fact that they FREAKIN TRADED A LOTTERY PICK.

As bad as the Raptors are, who knows who that might be??? And they traded it for Antonio Davis?!

The Knicks and the Raptors are on crack. This seems to be a common trend, the teams with horrible records in the NBA are the ones who seemingly have crackheads for GMs.

Β 

Β 

Archived