Mike Davis quitting?

gashouser27

My guess for the next coach is Steve Alford.

Likely. According to Alford, if there is a big drawn-out interviewing process, he will be less interested. But if they just pick him, he is likely to take it.

I would not be suprised if Alford was announced a few days after Iowa is eliminated from this year's tourney.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Say what you want about Mike Davis' results (which, at 109-76 was not altogether that terrible), but he restored class and character to a program that had suffered for years with the stigma attached to Bobby Knight's antics.

While ardent sports fans and Hoosier boosters may have enjoyed the winning seasons, I'm sure the players who went through the system didn't mind playing for a coach who could teach them something about discipline as well as decency and self-control.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

He is a nice guy, but was out of his league as a Big Ten coach. He was consistently out-coached in big games.

I agree that he's a good guy and all. But ever since Alford became coach at Iowa, people kept getting disappointed year after year in Iowa City. Kind of a bummer though, I thought he had some good potential and intentions (as well as decision making). A la the Pierre Pierce situation. He made the right decision of getting rid of Pierce....which only tore the team apart and provided a source of resurgance to get Iowa into the Dance.

I may be wrong, but I could see him going to Indiana. Since it is his alma mater.

In my opinion, this had a lot to do with the fanbase that still gets crazy whenever Bob Knight's name is mention in the same breath with Indiana basketball.

That fanbase would never accept anyone else as the coach of the Hoosiers, even with Davis reaching the National Championship game only to lose that game.

That fanbase now is celebrating his demise and more then likely would applaud the choice of making Steve Alford the new coach. Let's face it, he was possibly the best player ever to come under Knight's tenure at Indiana (Some, including me, would make a case for Isiah Thomas), so you appeal that fanbase and get a hometown hero that returns home.

Here in Indy, we're hearing just about every name possible being thrown around. Obviously, Steve Alford is the sentimental favorite (and the one I would like to see take the job), but I've also heard quite a bit about the possibility of Mark Few (Gonzaga) getting the job. Bob Huggins' name has been thrown around, and so has Rick Magerus. And I've even heard the name *gasp* Tubby Smith (please God...what have I ever done to you?) once or twice (doubt there's any truth there though...at least I hope there's no truth).

Anyway, during the press conference, the University said that there would most likely be no announcement until after the Final Four.

And Syphi, Davis had a horrible 6 years of coaching. He consistantly got beat on his home floor, he landed the big name recruits, but struggled to have them play anything that resembled basketball (case and point Bracey Wright...let's all watch him pop a shot from 10 feet behind the arc while our other four guys run in circles), and he failed to take us into the tourney twice in a row (and maybe three times if he manages to screw this season up even more...). I like Mike Davis, but I don't like him as a coach. I'd love to see him stay as an assistant and keep recruiting (obviously, not going to happen). His final four run was a fluke...he was "coaching," but it was Knights team that took them there.

</rant>

EDIT: Wishful thinking NJTank ^_^ I'd love to see Knight back...I'd do just about anything for that...but there's no way it's going to happen.

And Syphi, Davis had a horrible 6 years of coaching. He consistantly got beat on his home floor, he landed the big name recruits...

What big name recruits? For every one he got, he lost two or three.

Sean May grew up in Bloomington. His dad starred on the '76 title team. How much did it kill IU fans watching him lead UNC to the title last year?

Everyone's had Greg Oden on their radar since he was out of diapers. And yet he's leaving Indiana for Ohio State. And taking Mike Conley with him.

Maybe Davis couldn't recruit in Indiana because he faced backlash from Knight supporters who refused to help the new guy. But in looking outside the state rather than try and make inroads with high school coaches there to reestablish a conduit to IU, he let talent like Rodney Carney slip out to star far from home.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

He is a nice guy, but was out of his league as a Big Ten coach. He was consistently out-coached in big games.

I was talking about Davis here not Alford

I agree with the comments that Davis was not a great recruiter by any means..Indiana should have had Oden and May go there..He went to the finals his first year with Knight recruits ..I think players liked Davis and he is a nice guy but he was a terrible game coach and consistently lost big games...He still coaches like he is in the CBA...He might do well at a smaller school

Alford would restore the program..What people who aren't close to Indiana don't realize is that basketball is the school's identity..They don't have big football teams and soccer doesn't register big..

Say what you will about Knight...He didn't do anything horrible (except maybe moon Puerto Rico)..He may have been crude and obnoxious..but he won..his players graduated and were successful and people knew and respected his teams (even if they didn't respect him)..

Alford is a disciple but he is respected as a decent person as well..He would be ideal

And Syphi, Davis had a horrible 6 years of coaching.  He consistantly got beat on his home floor, he landed the big name recruits...

What big name recruits? For every one he got, he lost two or three.

Sean May grew up in Bloomington. His dad starred on the '76 title team. How much did it kill IU fans watching him lead UNC to the title last year?

Everyone's had Greg Oden on their radar since he was out of diapers. And yet he's leaving Indiana for Ohio State. And taking Mike Conley with him.

Maybe Davis couldn't recruit in Indiana because he faced backlash from Knight supporters who refused to help the new guy. But in looking outside the state rather than try and make inroads with high school coaches there to reestablish a conduit to IU, he let talent like Rodney Carney slip out to star far from home.

Knight never got all the in-state stars either. He was notorious for passing up in-state star players in favor of coachable players. The guys he got to play at IU weren't superstars before they came, and they didn't go on to become superstars after they left. But while they were there, they became talented players.

Mike Davis didn't get McRoberts, Oden, or May, but he did get Robert Vaden (A Mr. Basketball candidate if he hadn't gone off to prep school) and AJ Ratliff (Mr. Basketball) from in state, and he focused a lot of his recruiting to the South where he actually had some pull...he got guys like Bracey Wright from Texas (a player that Knight probably never would have recruited) and DJ White from Alabama.

Archived