Chicago Stags

Shroinke

I happen to like those Chicago Stags throwbacks. And if they really wanted to make them look authentic the uniforms would be skin tight with short-shorts. That look is classic '40s-'50s basketball. For a team to have a different colored jersey and shorts was a common practice in the old days. The Philadelphia 76ers wore red jerseys and royal shorts early in their tenure in Philly ('63-'64).

I wish some of you younger people could appreciate those uniforms for what they are and stop your whining. These old threads are classic when compared to some of the new garbage styles and cuts teams are wearing. Most teams today look like rec league rejects. :mad:

I have always been under the opinion that throwbacks shoud be as BACK as possible. Not only are these not terrible but if you are willing to stand back and squint, they look very much authentic and serve the concept of "throwback" very well. I don't think throwbacks should be trendy I think they should be throwbacks.

BroncosSig.jpg

Exactly my point, gentlemen. Throwback uniforms in any sport should be as close to the original style and fit as possible. I've been involved with basketball uniforms for over 40 years. When I was in high school in the early '60s the jerseys were made of a nylon/durene knit with tackle twill lettering and numbers. And jerseys were worn very tight and with no tee-shirts or cut-off "wife-beater" undershirts showing. That was a no-no. Some teams wore tee-shirt-style uniforms but the sleeves were part of the actual jersey.

Almost ALL basketball shorts were made of a material called "government satin." It was a tightly-woven material with a satiny shine to it. The material had no stretch whatsoever.

I was the equipment manager and the bigger guys on the team always went for the smallest-size shorts they could get on. Take a look at old pictures of basketball uniforms.

If today's throwbacks could be worn a little more form-fitting and with the shorts actually being shorts, not pants a Venice boatman would wear, you'd have a better look.

I can't stand the Knicks, but their throwbacks with the zebra-striped piping are classic, but then I'm partial to Orange & Blue. My high school's road uniforms used to be Orange jerseys with Royal shorts. Everyone in our region knew who we were just by our uniforms.

Archived