49ers to Launch AFL Franchise...

Brian in Boston

The San Francisco 49ers are expected to exercise their rights to purchase an Arena Football League expansion team in time for the 2008 season.

In 2001, the 49ers paid an undisclosed amount for the rights to an AFL franchise. The option on those rights expires on June 20th. The 49ers risk forfeiting the down-payment if they don't purchase a team by the June deadline.

It is expected that the 49ers will operate the franchise in Sacramento's Arco Arena, given the absence of a modern, amenity-laden arena in San Francisco proper (the Cow Palace in Daly City just doesn't cut it). Despite the Oakland Raiders having expressed no interest in operating an AFL team, the 49ers setting up shop in the Oakland Arena is highly unlikely, as the NFL frowns upon it's member-franchises setting up any sort of business operation in the markets of fellow teams.

The Sacramento-based franchise would most likely enter the AFL paired with another new team in either Boston or South Florida. Ownership groups in both those locales have been involved in on-going discussions aimed at bringing an AFL expansion franchise to their respective communities.

The Arena Football League has also been discussing expansion opportunities with groups in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, San Antonio and St. Louis.

Another one to add to the AFL expansion mix: former Packers LB Brian Noble is looking to bring a team back to Milwaukee (we had the Mustangs from 1994-2001).

QPR%20Sig.png

Sacramento did have a previous AFL franchise - the Attack (as in "Sac Attack,") in 1992. One season and done, then off to Miami to become the Hooters and then the Bobcats, setting the standard for stupefyingly bad football and low attendance all the way through til 2002. Of course these are much different times in the AFL then 14 years ago, and there's no reason Sac-to couldn't make a go of it now. Since it'll be 49ers ownsership, might I suggest "Sacramento Miners"?

I'd love to see the AFL back in Milwaukee. It belongs there, and with Chicago now an established franchise, that'll be a beauty of a rivalry. While bringing back the Mustangs moniker would be best, if the new ownership can't get rights to the name from those dopes currently running the Florida Firecats, how about the Milwaukee Marauders? It wouldn't be the first time in the AFL two completely unrelated teams shared a nickname.

And this thread brought something else to my mind: has there been any consideration for Iowa to return to the AFL, given that there's a spankin' new 15,000+ seat arena in Des Moines? Maybe it's just my fondness for propellor pants speaking out here, but hey, why not?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The San Francisco 49ers are expected to exercise their rights to purchase an Arena Football League expansion team in time for the 2008 season.

In 2001, the 49ers paid an undisclosed amount for the rights to an AFL franchise. The option on those rights expires on June 20th. The 49ers risk forfeiting the down-payment if they don't purchase a team by the June deadline.

It is expected that the 49ers will operate the franchise in Sacramento's Arco Arena, given the absence of a modern, amenity-laden arena in San Francisco proper (the Cow Palace in Daly City just doesn't cut it). Despite the Oakland Raiders having expressed no interest in operating an AFL team, the 49ers setting up shop in the Oakland Arena is highly unlikely, as the NFL frowns upon it's member-franchises setting up any sort of business operation in the markets of fellow teams.

The Sacramento-based franchise would most likely enter the AFL paired with another new team in either Boston or South Florida. Ownership groups in both those locales have been involved in on-going discussions aimed at bringing an AFL expansion franchise to their respective communities.

The Arena Football League has also been discussing expansion opportunities with groups in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, San Antonio and St. Louis.

ARCO Arena is "amenity-laden"? I think the Maloofs were not told about that. Will this assist the Kings in getting a new building?

Well, it seems like the Arena League is trying to get back those cities that once had a franchise (Sacramento had the Attack, San Antonio had the Force, Cleveland had the Thunderbolts, Pittsburgh had the Gladiators and St. Louis had the Stampede).

It's not a bad idea now that you are more likely to keep a team somewhere.

As for the Barnstomers rising from the grave: Not a bad idea, but it has been tried before. Granted, it was in af2. It wasn't as successful as the Arena League Barnstormers.

Wouldn't the HP Pavilion be a lot closer?

THere's already a San Jose team.

And I can't imagine they're too pleased with the prospect of having another AFL team within a 2 hour drive of their home turf. Given the success of the Sabrecats, I've always questioned the wisdom of the 49er organization in purchasing the rights to a second NorCal AFL franchise.

While bringing back the Mustangs moniker would be best, if the new ownership can't get rights to the name from those dopes currently running the Florida Firecats, how about the Milwaukee Marauders? It wouldn't be the first time in the AFL two completely unrelated teams shared a nickname.

it'd be a good idea except Marauders is already taken by a semipro team.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Aren't they the AFL team? Tee Hee

No, no, but I could see how you'd make that mistake, since the Niners can't ever get the ball more than halfway down that 100-yard field they play on.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And I can't imagine they're too pleased with the prospect of having another AFL team within a 2 hour drive of their home turf. Given the success of the Sabrecats, I've always questioned the wisdom of the 49er organization in purchasing the rights to a second NorCal AFL franchise.

Reportedly, so long as the 49ers don't set up shop in the Bay Area "proper" (i.e San Francisco or Oakland), the owners of the SaberCats are very much in favor of another AFL team being established in Northern California. Apparently, the SaberCats believe that having a regional rival will only help them promote the game.

The Sacramento Spiders? I'm not familiar with that one, could ya clue me in here?

Archived