MetroStars become Red Bull New York...

Brian in Boston

And can anyone tell me why I don't feel all icky about this name? I'm anywhere from ambivalent to somewhat liking it.

Because "(locationless) MetroStars" was a terrible name.

They went from one corporate name to another. This one at least has possibilities, and comes with a cash infusion to improve the club.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are the team colors now exactly? Not red and black anymore right?

Based on the logo and the team's redesigned Web site, I'd say the primary colors are red and yellow.

You can judge from the ads on the site:

120x240_tix.gif

I don't think you can read too much into that. Yellow is obviously a secondary color in the logo, and they're making good use of it on the site, but that doesn't really mean anything.

When the Brewers redesigned their website with the uniform change in '99, they went with a color scheme using equal parts navy and brick. Not much brick to be found on those uniforms.

If they're anything like the Red Bull Salzburg (and for what it's worth, I think they'll be exact duplicates with MLS patches and numbers, since Adidas supplies both clubs), they'll be red and navy - red and white at home, navy on the road.

Now wait a minute, I thought there was some sort of rule that if a team played in Giants Stadium, which is owned by the NY/NJ Port Authority, they had to call themselves "New York/New Jersey." Thusly the NY/NJ Knights, NY/NJ MetroStars, and NY/NJ Hitmen.

Giants Stadium, along with the other Meadowlands venues, is owned by the NJ Sports and Exposition Authority, not the Port Authority.

And who were the NY/NJ Knights? I've heard of the New Jersey Knights, but not them.

njd.gifnym.gifpats3gr8.jpg

Given the timing of the announcement so close to the start of the season, my best guess is that they'll grab some blank Red Bull Salzburg kits and apply the new badges and use the standard MLS font and number package...

0,1020,510413,00.jpg

I really hope adidas doesn't just roll out this kit for RBNY. I think it is one of the ugliest designs I've seen. I doubt that the Red Bull logo will be in the center, maybe a Red Bull wordmark on the front as opposed to this. I think it would at least look better than what these shirts have.

km3S7lo.jpg

Ā 

Zqy6osx.png

Ā 

Given the timing of the announcement so close to the start of the season, my best guess is that they'll grab some blank Red Bull Salzburg kits and apply the new badges and use the standard MLS font and number package...

0,1020,510413,00.jpg

I really hope adidas doesn't just roll out this kit for RBNY. I think it is one of the ugliest designs I've seen. I doubt that the Red Bull logo will be in the center, maybe a Red Bull wordmark on the front as opposed to this. I think it would at least look better than what these shirts have.

I actually like the Red Bull logo on the kits. If there was anything I'd change about the template use, it would be getting rid of the nike-esque collar thing.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

0,1020,510413,00.jpg

If they are going to use the Red Bull Salzburg template, the least they could do is get Adidas to switch the colors up a little bit. A simple change would be to make Salzburg's primary kit New York's secondaries and vice versa.

Another possibility is that they could make their primary kit red jerseys w/white trim and red shorts (basically Salzburg's secondaries but with red replacing blue). The secondary kit would then be white jerseys w/blue trim and blue shorts (Salzburg's primaries but with blue replacing red).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

is no MLS franchise staying the same? First its Dallas Burn becoming FC Dallas - not a bad switch. Then its Earthquakes moving to Houston, becoming 1836 then Dynamo. Now its The Metrostars becoming Red Bull New York. Damn. Methinks the league be going to :censored:e. Here here for European football, eh?

To be honest though, it's not that bad...could be worse I guess...

OD_Signature.jpg

is no MLS franchise staying the same? First its Dallas Burn becoming FC Dallas - not a bad switch. Then its Earthquakes moving to Houston, becoming 1836 then Dynamo. Now its The Metrostars becoming Red Bull New York. Damn. Methinks the league be going to :censored:e. Here here for European football, eh?

To be honest though, it's not that bad...could be worse I guess...

These evolutions in the MLS shouldn't be looked at as a spectre of doom. This Red Bull name change means a helluva lot more than just a new look and identity. It means the MLS ownership is diversifying from just Anschutz and Lamar Hunt, to more, well-monied entities. Which, in the hopes of MLS, means a future of profitable franchises.

Which, in turn, means the MLS is on the verge of being a healthier league.

Nobody has to like this corporate branding. But it's not new, especially in soccer.

Germany has Bayer Leverkusen (Bayer aspirin anyone?) and PSV Eindhoven, which was a club first organized for a group of Phillips employees. (PSV is the abbreviation for the company name).

Let's just hope MLS doesn't turn into a feeder league.

Actually that's how MLS has been able to make money. They sell the better players off to European teams who look at MLS as a way to find good players at cheaper prices. I'd like to see the European teams send their younger players over similar to what the NFL does with NFL Europe. Chivas USA is the only team that truly does something similar at the moment.

This isn't the first venture that Red Bull is taking into American sports. They're also starting up their own NASCAR team for next season, running the new Toyota Camry that's debuting next season also.

83redbull-lside.jpg

83redbull-nose.jpg

83redbull-rear.jpg

83redbull-racingone.jpg

WOW! A NASCAR team with a Japanese branded car sponsored by a Austrian company. Who's going to own it a Aussie? Next they will be running F1 at Talladega... :D

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

This isn't the first venture that Red Bull is taking into American sports. They're also starting up their own NASCAR team for next season, running the new Toyota Camry that's debuting next season also.

83redbull-lside.jpg

83redbull-nose.jpg

83redbull-rear.jpg

83redbull-racingone.jpg

WOW! A NASCAR team with a Japanese branded car sponsored by a Austrian company. Who's going to own it a Aussie? Next they will be running F1 at Talladega... :D

Well, they are running on American tires.... ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

keeping MetroStars red as the primary color would be really cool - and making them off of the new templates used for the world cup would be really cool too. Red with white trim home, and that Red Bull dark blue away would look awesome.

Red Bull have been involved in motorsports for a long time, sponsoring all sorts of auto and motorcycle racing teams. They even put money down to help bring Laguna Seca Raceway up to MotoGP standards in order to secure a Grand Prix for the United States. I personally like the aesthetic of their logo, and hope they use it on the front of the jerseys - it'd be a nice change compared to the team names that are on the front of most jerseys, and would be cooler and more European looking. Besides, it's not like the sponsor doesn't own the team or anything :P;):D

harperdc.gif

Archived