Need A Little Help With Team Name

HatCityEnforcer

OK, here's the scenario....

I was just awarded a team in the WAFL (fantasy NFL league here at the boards) and will be placing the team in Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PA). I was going to go with the nickname "Miners" for the club, but there was a slight problem....seeing it kinda was too similar to another team in another CCSLC fantasy football league.

However, for some reason, I'm stumped for a name at the moment...

Any suggestions? :lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

how about the Lehigh Valley Rocks? cuz the rock is from there. so is Jonathan Taylor Thomas, so how about the Lehigh Valley JTTs? realistically you could do anything about steel or rivers. Lehigh Valley Girders, The Lehigh Valley Flow. not sure.

Team naming is rather pointless and not very important since everyone usually refers to everyone by their name rather than their team, so have fun with it. Go with something like Insert Team Name Here, No more than 20 char, etc. I always end changing my name every week or so during the season to coincide with who I'm playing or how my team is doing. If I'm low in the standings and making a good run, I'll switch to Comeback Kids. If I start sucking, I'll switch to something like Peaked Too Early. And if I'm playing someone who I know I'm gonna crush, I'll usually switch my name to Bye Week.

It's just a fake name for a fake team. Have fun with it.

201160034_f4c2ccdd98_o.png228795922_2c1d682c64_o.png

Lehigh Valley Bucks, Lehigh Valley Engineers, Lehigh Valley Railers or Lehigh Valley Bears

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Hey - part of the fun of naming stuff is the fun of desiging a logo to use on shirts and hats. One year in my own FFL, when I was living in Alpharetta, GA, I used the team name "Alpharetta Omegas". As the Alpha/Omega concept had religious connotations, and also means (in English) First/Last, I figured it was great since I never knew where I was going to finish. For the logo, I used an interlocking A/O as in the example below.

How about Lehigh Valley Lobos? A Lobo is a fierce dog, and it is also greah to have the high-low contrast in the name. Here is a link to helmet logo I designed for a team named the Lobos: EASTUSFFL Helmet Gallery - Dogs

alphaomegas.gif

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Lehigh Valley Bucks, Lehigh Valley Engineers, Lehigh Valley Railers or Lehigh Valley Bears

I STRONGLY object to "Engineers" for reasons my name and signature should make apparent. :P

I think you're better off that "Miners" didn't work, because it isn't quite historically accurate. The coal region is north of the Valley (though not by too much, so it isn't unreasonable to use a coal-related name). The real coal connection in the Valley was processing it, using the coal in other industries, including steel, and transporting it through the Valley to other markets (by canal or railroad, as the eras changed). Also, many of the coal barons moved to and/or invested heavily in the region, even though the coal itself was elsewhere (for example, Asa Packer (founder of Lehigh) and the Pardees, Markles and Van Wickles (major benefactors to Lafayette)).

As for names that I would suggest, I would suggest the following (in no particular order) since you sound like you want to go with something specific to the area:

1. Railers (thanks jkorkie) -- major transportation center once upon a time.

2. Steelers (if it isn't objectionable in the league) -- as much as I dislike the Steelers, you can't ignore the fact that Bethlehem Steel once dominated the Valley.

3. Ironmen -- before the steel industry, you have . . .

4. Rivermen -- the confluence of the Lehigh and Delaware Rivers is in Easton, and the area was a major canal center during the 19th Century.

5. Barons -- for the coal and steel barons who were major players in the region.

6. Racers -- the Andrettis are from Nazareth (if you are inclined to honor someone -- other than The Rock or Jonathan Taylor Thomas, that is :P )

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

i'm particularly fond of alliteration in team names, especially if it makes sense and fits in with the region - a team name that starts with an l or a v would be nice, but i'm not overly familiar with your region, so i don't have a lot of suggestions :)

edit: after reading leopard88's post, maybe the lehigh valley locomotives? or the legigh valley liners?

jldesigns404eo.png

Leopard, I knew I would get you fired up with Engineers :P . I like Ironmen alot as well. It definitely fits. One other thought I had would be Boxers or something like that due to Larry Holmes's influence in Easton. Thanks for the acknowledgment in your post.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Great suggestions so far :D

There's a few here that I like...Rivermen, Barons, Railers, and Ironmen.

Ironmen is probably the clubhouse leader right now (fits the industrial motif of the area and it's also a way to honor a legend of the Valley...Chuck Bednarik, the last 2-way player in the NFL).

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

How about Pianomen? Nope? Ok, I'll take the Billy Joel cd out now.

If it weren't so awful I'd suggest using the DOA UHL Lehigh Valley Extreme name.

Serious suggestion-Lehigh Valley Steel.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 1 month later...

I think it's time to move away from the Steel related nicknames. I understand it's a huge part of local history, but still, I think it's time to move forward with the identity of the valley. It's kind of an odd suggestion, but what about Hot Steppers? There's a large musical scene going on around here, most notably Musikfest. On a different level, the high schools in the area have very strong emphasis on the arts, from musicals to marching bands. Two division one drum corps call the Valley home as well(The Cadets and the Crossmen). It's different, but I think the musical motivation could work for the Lehigh Valley. Just my 2 cents as a local.

I hope you realize that he chose the team's name more than a month ago.

<_<

Of course not. Time is but a fluid abstraction in his world and bears no relevance upon reality. <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

<_<

Of course not. Time is but a fluid abstraction in his world and bears no relevance upon reality. <_<

Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

QUOTE (rams80 @ Thursday, April 27th, 2006 - 00:21:44)

QUOTE (lmupepbander @ Thursday, April 27th, 2006 - 00:07:32)

Of course not. Time is but a fluid abstraction in his world and bears no relevance upon reality. 

Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so.

wow. i feel sooooooooooooo dumb. damn concussions.

Archived