Uni Watch Party Recap

TruColor

I thought I'd start a thread about the party...I just got back home from NYC...had a great time.

Met a lot of people, but none of the CC regulars were there...that was a bit disappointing.

I'll fill in more tomorrow (I'm beat), but I had dinner with Paul Lukas on Saturday night...great guy - had a great time with him...I think we spent more time talking music rather than logos...

Met up with Todd Radom at Grand Central Station on Sunday...we ended up walking the Brooklyn Bridge...went by the proposed site for the new Brooklyn Nets arena...

Also met Tom O'Grady for the first time in person...Todd and Tom are old friends...had a blast talking to them - but mostly enjoyed listening to them...an educational experience for sure.

Also met Scott Turner (formerly of Stall & Dean)...he goes by "scottmx" on the FanHome board...really, really interesting guy...I want to get to know him better.

A writer (and photographer) from the NY Times was there...interviewed all of us at length. Not sure what will happen with that.

There wasn't enough time to hang, but hopefully there will be more of these in the future.

Had I been anywhere near NYC this past weekend, I would have so been there.

Instead, I spent the weekend playing board games with friends and watching soccer ... ah well, can't win 'em all. ^_^

Met a lot of people, but none of the CC regulars were there...that was a bit disappointing.

None of us were invited.

Glad you had a good time, sounds like it would've been fun.

What do you mean? Anyone and everyone were invited! It was open to the public, and it was free (travel excluded, of course!)...

It wasn't some sort of special priviledge...I just told Paul I was coming, and he asked me to be on the Q&A panel. I felt silly up there with the "heavy hitters"...but I think I did OK I guess.

Next time...major representation of the CC board needs to happen.

:D

Oh...and I mentioned this board to the NY Times guy...

Really? You don't say ...

Have I mentioned lately that I have links to my photography portfolio in my signature? Yup, right down there in my sig, just in case anyone, you know, wants to have a look. :D

Oh...and I mentioned this board to the NY Times guy...

Well there you go, we were represented! :) Thanks Don!

Board gets overloaded in 5...4...3...

I think I'll finally donate that $250 or so for that chat room we talked about.

More interesting tidbits:

I was the only one there not sporting some sort of sports-related apparel. Even the NY Times writer had an old Cuba replica on. He asked me why I didn't, and I said that not only do I not own that much, but my wife wouldn't let me (!). Only kidding a little. Trying to tone-down the potential Star Trek Convention vibe. Next time, I'll sport a AZ Cardinals authentic.

Todd had on a Brewers jersey from the mid-'90s - the Navy-Gold-Hunter Green version that he himself designed. Tom had a Clyde Drexler Navy authentic Rockets jersey - he was quick to point out that he did NOT design that logo. Paul had the Milwaukee-area Industrial League "Aluminum" baseball jersey that's mentioned in his column...and Scott had a number of vintage items on, including a NYC World's Fair jersey. One guy who attended had a mid-'70s Mariners home authentic (pullover)...lots of interesting stuff.

More interesting tidbits:

I was the only one there not sporting some sort of sports-related apparel...lots of interesting stuff.

It sounds like a fun time. It's always ineresting to see who wears what at an event like that.

There have been times where I've been to a college hockey tournament and would have loved to have been able to herd everyone through one entrance and photograph all the different jerseys in attendance.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Next time...major representation of the CC board needs to happen.

Always ready and willing to embarrass the group, sir!

And while on the board, did anyone have any questions for you directly? Did anyone say "I'll have Donovan field that question, since he is most knowledgeable on that."

Actually, I kinda wonder what questions I'd ask, myself. Got examples from Sunday? Maybe I'd ask, "Umm. So do you think, like, the Falcons helmets were cooler when they were, like, red?" Or "Why the hell does Nike try to reinvent the wheel every time?"

First of all, I had a digital camera with me, and neglected to take any pics. Oops. Oh well - there were other photographers there taking pictures, I'm sure there were some good ones taken.

Questions for me - yeah, a couple. Thank goodness I had a couple of beers in me; I'm not exactly stellar at public speaking. I was introduced as "someone who knows more about team colors than anyone"...which felt a little silly, since Todd Radom and Tom O'Grady were sitting there on the panel with me.

Tom was explaining some of the more recent NBA projects he has done - the re-colorization of the Denver Nuggets. As he was explaining that they went from Navy Blue, Gold and Red - he pointed at me and I said "282, 874 and 201", and then he went on to say that they went to - again to me - "279, 2935 and 123". That got a pretty good laugh. I'm a freakin' geek.

I also got on my soapbox about the Dallas Cowboys' mismatched colors...that was something that came up, and I had to chime in on it. I also mentioned the rumor that Jerry Jones is color-blind, and that is one of the main reasons why it hasn't been fixed. That got a pretty good response as well.

Of course, the question I was expecting DID get mentioned - "why don't you update your site more often". I KNEW someone would mention that. My answer - which of course is the case - is that "life gets in the way". If I had more time, I would do a whole lot more with the site/group. Someday, someday...

One more thing - Todd put together these really cool nameplates for those of us on the panel. Our last names arched, in Green trimmed in Gold. Totally cool. We were on a stage at a long table, and we each had mikes. They also put a mike in front of the stage for questions.

There was so much discussed...I wish we had a transcript or a video of it to go over it.

However, Tom might not have pulled out his laptop like he did and show us all the proposal they made to one of the teams in one of the four major sports. A project that's been mothballed for now, but could be revived. VERY interesting...

(don't be mad at me; if some of you could have been there, you would have seen it too!)

One more thing - Todd put together these really cool nameplates for those of us on the panel. Our last names arched, in Green trimmed in Gold. Totally cool.

Vertically arched or radially arched lettering? ^_^

liverpool-1.png

One more thing - Todd put together these really cool nameplates for those of us on the panel.  Our last names arched, in Green trimmed in Gold.  Totally cool.

Vertically arched or radially arched lettering? ^_^

OK...I may know colors, but some other terminology - not so much.

I believe they are vertically arched...the letters are straight up-and-down, but in an arc. Does that sound right?

I have mine here at my desk...I'll take a pic or scan it later...

'Arch' means vertically, 'arc' means radially. By saying 'arched' Donovan implied the letters were vertically arched. :P

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived