Marlins Through the Years

rmackman

I know it's hard to find early photos of the Marlins, but luckily the Sun-Sentinel posted these today:

12040693.jpg

12040694.jpg

12040696.jpg

12040701.jpg

12040703.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

12040694.jpg

Kevin Stocker! YES! I think he might beat the tag.

I miss the teal hats, but the uniforms look odd to me. It seems like the names and numbers(see Benito Santiago in the first pic) should be teal. Also, is that a "09" on Benny's back?

Were the Marlins the team to start the current vest trend? I know teams did it back in the day, but within the past 15 years or so, were they the first?

The teal alt is great. They should bring that back.

No Destrade pictures, but I got some stuff from Lilmoxie.com and I have a picture of me!

FloridaMarlins93.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Also, is that a "09" on Benny's back?

That is an "09" on Benny's back, because with his catcher's equipment on, it was hard to distinguish what number he wore from the stands when he was catching, so he off-set the 9 by placing a 0 in front of it...he started doing that in San Diego in the early 90's.

And that's not a teal alternate for the Marlins - it was their batting practice jerseys, worn in spring training games.

------------------------------------

The teal unis were great, but I thought the black hat with the teal "Marlins" looked a tiny bit better.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

All of those Sun-Sentinel pics were taken between 1993-1998. The numbers back then were sewn on so that the top layer was black, the central layer was white, and the bottom layer was teal. Then the names were black on teal on top of a nameplate. I have an authentic Gary Sheffield jersey from 1994 that I'll put up here later as an example.

spacer.png

Were the Marlins the team to start the current vest trend? I know teams did it back in the day, but within the past 15 years or so, were they the first?

Cincinnati and the Marlins share the honors of reviving the vest in MLB.

The answer to your vest question

2882.jpg

It even predates the MLB logo at the back of the neck, as that was where the manufacturer's logo resided.

Kevin Stocker! YES! I think he might beat the tag.

AKA the guy the Phillies traded for Bobby Abreu...

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

That is an "09" on Benny's back, because with his catcher's equipment on, it was hard to distinguish what number he wore from the stands when he was catching, so he off-set the 9 by placing a 0 in front of it...he started doing that in San Diego in the early 90's.

Has anyone else in baseball history done that? If so, thats a pretty unique piece of trivia.

rrhgsig.gif

I miss the teal hats

Me too,the etal just absolutely screams "Miami"

Absolutely agree. A team playing in another city/region would never be able to get away with those hats. That being said, it'd be cool to see the Marlins bring these beauties back for a game or two during the season. Will they? No. Why? Just to piss me off.

Also, is that a "09" on Benny's back?

And that's not a teal alternate for the Marlins - it was their batting practice jerseys, worn in spring training games.

------------------------------------

The teal unis were great, but I thought the black hat with the teal "Marlins" looked a tiny bit better.

There was someone wearing one of those Santiago jerseys at Miller Park on Opening Day on Monday.

I have no idea why :D

It's where I sit.

7905.jpg

This jersey ruled. Also, I miss the teal hats also, especially the batting helmets which were extra bright. They should bring them back on Sundays or something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Has anyone else in baseball history done that? If so, thats a pretty unique piece of trivia.

I don't think anyone else has done that...even though there are probably a few catchers who wore single digits. Recently, Todd Hundley wore "9" (at least I think so when he was with the Mets and Dodgers, could be wrong), but never wore the "09".

There was someone wearing one of those Santiago jerseys at Miller Park on Opening Day on Monday.

I have no idea why  :D

You gotta love random Marlins jerseys at a Pirates/Brewers game :D

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived