Ralph Wilson Crying Poverty

Bleujayone

Wilson Doubts Long-Term Viability of Bills in WNY

Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson says the "long-term viability" of the Bills franchise "may be in serious doubt." Wilson laid it on the line with New York Governor George Pataki. Buffalo News 4 Sports Director Dennis Williams reports.

Monday in Albany, Bills owner Ralph Wilson met with Governor George Pataki.

Wilson wanted to outline the future competitive and financial challenges that continue to face the NFL's smaller-market teams like the Buffalo Bills.

As one of only two NFL owners who voted against the recent collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players, (30-2) Wilson has been outspoken about how bad he believes the deal is for teams like the Bills.

Wilson says, "While I am committed to Western New York, the long-term viability of our franchise may be in serious doubt."

Wilson went on to say that he did not want to "sugar-coat" this, and Governor Pataki said the security of the Bills in Western New York is of vital interest to all of New York State.

*This only adds to the rumors that Wilson has already considered other locations such as Toronto, Minnesota (should the Vikes skip town)and yes even Los Angeles.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Reminds me of Art Modell. :cursing:

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Reminds me of Art Modell.  :cursing:

He hasn't move the team to another city to go on and win a championship yet. ^_^

To give him credit, at least he is consistant with his position on the matter. He voted that the new player agreement was bad for Buffalo, and now he is taking the next step. Most teams threaten to move in order to get the new stadium they want. When Ralph Wilson finds his Al Lerner, then start worrying.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Reminds me of Art Modell.  :cursing:

I was thinking the same thing...

If you think about it, the similarities are uncanny. An "old guard" owner, with an old stadium, in a small market, with a team that has a huge following. Oh, and it's near one of the Great Lakes too.

I actually read a book about the Brownies move outta Cleveland, and to tell you the truth, I actually did feel for Model after reading it. In this day and age of sweetheart stadium deals, who could refuse a milti-million dollar handout, especially when faced with the prospect of losing money by staying put? It's business, cut and dried. I'd hate to see the Bills leave Buffalo, but in dollars and sense, unless they get a deal from the city, they have every right to move. It sucks, but c'est la vi.

Buffalo will have to pony up some money in a relatively short amount of time if they don't wanna see Ralph Wilson take off for LA.

Ladies and gentlemen... your... Los Angeles Bills!

^_^

I always thought that if they kept their identity and moved elsewhere, they would alter their name to something like "Bison" "Stampede", "Bulls" or maybe simply "Buffalo". Hopefuly if they do end up moving, they'll leave that identity behind in case some other team sound come in and take it up someday.

In any event I cannot imagine how Wilson can claim he's losing money. He might not be making the profits he want to, but he certainly cannot claim the Bills are a money pit either.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

In any event I cannot imagine how Wilson can claim he's losing money. He might not be making the profits he want to, but he certainly cannot claim the Bills are a money pit either.

It all depends...is he paying a lease on the stadium? Is he incurring all of the operating costs as well or does the city take care of that? The stadium had some renovations done to it in recent years, IIRC. Also, he's gotta pay player and staff salaries. He probably voted against the current CBA because the cap went up to $105 million (correct me if I'm wrong) because that's more money he's gotta spend to stay competitive.

To be honest, I'm surprised the Bills have survived this long in a city like Buffalo, especially when other markets like LA and San Antonio are probably much more conducive to giving an NFL team numerous liberties as far as leases, tax-breaks, and Stadium deals.

I thought the salary cap was supposed to help teams like buffalo?

With hockey, yes, with football no. At least, not with the new CBA. The NFL owners and players agreed to give more league-wide revenues to the players. Because of the added revenue for players, the salary cap increased more this year than any other, and in order to be competitive on the field, each team is likely to spend at or near the cap of $102-$105 million. Therefore, the Bills and other "small market" teams are at a disadvantage.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I can see it now...

Buffalo moves to L.A., and the NFL adds two new teams: one to be the NFC team in Los Angeles, the other an AFC team in Buffalo to replace the Bills.

The old Bills take a new name, while the new Buffalo team takes either the old Bills name, or goes with 'Bisons' provided the minor league baseball team lets 'em.

nav-logo.png

In any event I cannot imagine how Wilson can claim he's losing money.  He might not be making the profits he want to, but he certainly cannot claim the Bills are a money pit either.

It all depends...is he paying a lease on the stadium? Is he incurring all of the operating costs as well or does the city take care of that? The stadium had some renovations done to it in recent years, IIRC. Also, he's gotta pay player and staff salaries. He probably voted against the current CBA because the cap went up to $105 million (correct me if I'm wrong) because that's more money he's gotta spend to stay competitive.

To be honest, I'm surprised the Bills have survived this long in a city like Buffalo, especially when other markets like LA and San Antonio are probably much more conducive to giving an NFL team numerous liberties as far as leases, tax-breaks, and Stadium deals.

One the reasons they have survived is because their fan base is very large compared to those of other teams. They sell alot of season tickets. There is rarely an empty seat to be found at home games. I dont have attendance stats to show so I can only speak on my experince going to games and being forced to follow the team for the last 15 years.

There are alot of Bills fans because it's only one of 2 pro frnachises in Western NY. Sabres being the other.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

The long-term viablity of the team isn't tied to the salary cap or Wilson making money. It's tied to finding an owner that will buy the team and keep it in Buffalo after Wilson dies.

Other than Tom Golisano or Jeremy Jacobs, I can't forsee anyone capable of keeping the team there.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

In any event I cannot imagine how Wilson can claim he's losing money.  He might not be making the profits he want to, but he certainly cannot claim the Bills are a money pit either.

Yes, but how much do they receive in revenue sharing?

And of that, how much goes into Wilson's pocket? Is he a Pohlad, or a Steinbrenner?

How much is each team's share of the TV money?

I have a feeling that each share damn near covers team salaries. You gotta have some kind of coke problem to lose money in the NFL.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Mr. Wilson might find that his cries of poverty would be more effective if his team didn't play in Ralph Wilson Stadium.

In an era when facility naming rights can generate significant revenue for a team, Mr. Wilson and his family choose to eschew such a source of financial gain in order to pay homage to Mr. Wilson's ego.

Bottom line? Ralph Wilson should be trying to exhaust every possible means of generating revenue before looking for a handout. In other words, sell the stadium naming rights before you even think of holding up the public - through state, county or municipal assistance - to subsidize your private business.

Mr. Wilson might find that his cries of poverty would be more effective if his team didn't play in Ralph Wilson Stadium.

In an era when facility naming rights can generate significant revenue for a team, Mr. Wilson and his family choose to eschew such a source of financial gain in order to pay homage to Mr. Wilson's ego.

Bottom line? Ralph Wilson should be trying to exhaust every possible means of generating revenue before looking for a handout. In other words, sell the stadium naming rights before you even think of holding up the public - through state, county or municipal assistance - to subsidize your private business.

The team doesn't own the Ralph. It's owned and operated by Erie County.

Although, I'm sure selling teh naming rights has to indirectly benefit the team.

Actually, now that I think about it, the county SHOULD sell the rights and make some money. They're not exactly running a budget surplus.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Ralph WIlson sound spathetic and I think hes lying the NFL takes care of it teams and only owners that want problems create problems the Bill have an untapped Northern Fan base too maybe if they thre a bone to Toronto and played 1 or 2 games a year at the SkyDome they can solve some of their problems.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The team doesn't own the Ralph. It's owned and operated by Erie County.

Wow. That sucks for Ralph Wilson and the Bills then.

One thing is certain: If push comes to shove and state, county and municipal government don't see there way clear to offering up a subsidy, Los Angeles isn't going to be the only city courting the Bills. You can bet that Ted Rogers and Paul Godfrey will put together a consortium in Toronto that would push a bid to relocate the Bills to the Ontario city. They'll position their bid as an opportunity to move the team to a larger market, while keeping it in close enough proximity to Western New York to still serve the franchise's long-time fans.

Archived