TBGKon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maddon to get pieces in places

By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer

Published June 11, 2006

RAYS RUMBLINGS: Had they dropped Devil from their name, the Rays were strongly considering pitching coach Mike Butcher's suggestion to announce it Tuesday - on 6-6-6. ... The first live ray will be added July 1 to the new centerfield tank; by July 23 it should be stocked and open.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Personally I have a feeling that when (and if) the Rays change, the green will stay. See in the picture below how there is green painted around the upper edge of the outfield and upper deck seating areas, this color is also painted on the entry portals to each section.

IMGP2866.jpg

Three very dark colors and White just don't work.

We've had countless threads on this over the years, but many of us have come up with re-colorizations of the D-Rays' logo, and which use much better shades of Green and Blue.

Here's one of my own:

TampaBayDevilRays_Prop_03.jpg

I think the current colors are great......if used in different shades. Much like this example from a previous page...

SigReflect.png

:rolleyes: In an effort to kill this thread for the time being, this was on the Rays' site 5/30 when the "no name change 'till '08" announcement was made:

"And with a name, you're not going to sell more tickets because you have a name that's the 'Hammerheads' or the 'Tarpons' or something else as opposed to the Devil Rays," Silverman said. "But if a name causes people to pause, if it somehow keeps them away from coming to the stadium, then it's something that needs investigating and that's what we'll be doing."

It's interesting he should randomly mention "Hammerheads" as a possible Tampa Bay baseball name as I'm captivated by it! Say it along with me, "Tampa Bay Hammerheads", see?!? I know there's a Jupiter Hammerheads minor league team. Some online Rays fans were pushing for "Tigersharks" which could be cool.

I mean, they could put ANY kind of fish critter in that big tank the Rays are planning for their center field display but I don't think it'd work as the batters' eye!

:shocked:

GO Tampa Bay Hammerheads!

. . . I'm tellin' ya!

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

Maddon, Hall, Kazmir visit the Florida Aquarium in Tampa

06/22/2006 6:51 PM ET

MLB.com

Rays Manager Joe Maddon, catcher Toby Hall and pitcher Scott Kazmir visited the Florida Aquarium in Tampa this week and met the "cownose" rays that will inhabit the new touch tank coming soon to Tropicana Field. The tank is presented by the St. Petersburg-Clearwater Area Convention and Visitors Bureau.

This free, customer-friendly feature will open for fans on Friday, July 21 when the Rays host the Baltimore Orioles at 7:15 p.m.

On Wednesday, Maddon, Hall and Kazmir fed the rays that were caught in local waters last month and have been cared for at the Florida Aquarium in preparation for the move to Tropicana Field. Maddon and the players also recorded an informational video that will be shown to fans as they prepare for their ray encounter at Tropicana Field. The tank will be located just beyond the outfield fence in right-center field.

"They were very friendly and very hungry," said Maddon of the new rays. "They will be a great addition to Tropicana Field and what makes it even more special is that they were caught right off our beautiful beaches off the coast of St. Petersburg."

The 35-foot long, fiberglass tank at Tropicana Field will hold 30 "cownose" rays. Fans will have the opportunity to touch and feed the rays at the final 39 home games of the season.

The tank is one of a number of new, popular features at Tropicana Field this season. The Rays are offering free parking to all games this season, lower concession and ticket prices, more and improved give-away items and have installed numerous free interactive fan areas throughout the stadium. In addition, the Rays are allowing certain food and drink items to be brought into Tropicana Field for the first time and the team has spent more than $10 million in stadium improvements.

Tampa Bay Cownose Rays?

:lol:

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

:rolleyes: "Let's go Cownose Rays!" . . . I don't THINK so . . . I tell ye logomaniacs, "Tampa Bay Hammerheads", BAYbee! :shocked: Put THEM in that new fangled outfield tank!

• 3 weeks later...

Rays in the tank join Rays on the ballfield

By Times Staff Writer

Published July 12, 2006

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays will release the first of the 30 cownose rays today into Tropicana Field's new 10,000-gallon tank. Team officials say the rays are unrelated to any future name change for the team, and that they can always add other marine life if they eventually choose another mascot for the team.

cownoseray07120614ae.jpgcownoseray07120626ox.jpg09bk.jpg

Rays is just a dumb name. Imagine if there was a graphic of a Ray playing baseball. How weird would that look? At least using the name of some kind of shark is at least threatening. Then again Miami Dolphins is not threatening, yet they're pretty well liked.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Rays is just a dumb name. Imagine if there was a graphic of a Ray playing baseball. How weird would that look? At least using the name of some kind of shark is at least threatening. Then again Miami Dolphins is not threatening, yet they're pretty well liked.

And exactly how would a graphic of a Sock look?

Or a "Royal", "Twin", "Athletic", "Yankee", "Red", "Mountain", "Dodger", "Metropolitan", "Phillie", "Father", or "National".

Baseball is FULL of stupid names...

SigReflect.png

In the spirit of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays should change their name to the Jaguar sharks. Just think of all the fans entering the stadium wearing little red beanies and the players wearing official Zissou society jump suits for their uniforms. It would be great. 1115205591.jpg

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

In the spirit of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays should change their name to the Jaguar sharks. Just think of all the fans entering the stadium wearing little red beanies and the players wearing official Zissou society jump suits for their uniforms. It would be great. 1115205591.jpg

Or, to honor Zizou, their logo could be a stingray headbutting an Italian soccer player.

:rolleyes: "Let's go Cownose Rays!" . . . I don't THINK so . . . I tell ye logomaniacs, "Tampa Bay Hammerheads", BAYbee! :shocked: Put THEM in that new fangled outfield tank!

They could have signs at the beer stands-- "Get hammered with the Hammerheads!"

(with apologies to Dave Barry)

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

:D This nickname writes its own campaigns: "I'm a Hammer 'Head!", endless naughty "get/give/good 'Head!" double, even triple entendres, why, the possibilities are absotively limited I tells ye! B)

Touch 'em all at the Trop: Fans get to interact with real rays in 'touch tank'

JOHN LEMBO

Herald Staff Writer

"I think it was kind of time for us to put our stake in the ground and say, 'We are the Rays,' " said Darcy Raymond, the Devil Rays' vice president of branding and fan experience. "A lot of people don't know what a devil ray was, or, 'What is that? A baseball team named after a fish.' But I think when fans are able to touch and see, they will be able to respect these fish. It's kind of corny, but . . ."

2258718619722mv.jpg

Archived