It's Official, Rays considering name change

TBGKon

Pitchers crowding Rays' draft wish list

By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer

Published May 21, 2006

NAME GAME: With MLB needing to know the Rays' plans by May 31, president Matt Silverman said it remains 50-50 that the team will change its name, colors and uniforms for next season.

"We have to be convinced it's the right decision for the organization," Silverman said, "and that it's the right decision for the 2007 season given all the work that goes into that type of change."

The Rays have spent a lot of time on the project and though Silverman said it has been "more conceptual," they have looked at specific names, colors and creative applications.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say I like Thunder , There is a can be done with that . or even if they have to be called the ThunderBolts . The colors Buccaneer Red , Lighting Blue , & Pewter for the road & a Silver Whitish lighting Bolt . Yeah they may not finish 1st in the AL EAST but they will look the best . :rolleyes:

#DTWD #GoJaguars

I don't understand the "wrongness" about having "Devil" in the name. It's THE NAME OF THE CREATURE. It's not like they added it in front just to be Goth or something. Hell, there's a team CALLED the Devils with a pointy tail and horns in their freakin logo! (and the play in Jersey!).

Anyway if they truly want to signify a new era, how about winning some games and moving out of that dumpy stadium? Name and uniform changes are cosmetic at best. Besides, I think the current DRays look is pretty nice.

Bottom line is the name isn't the problem, the identity/uniform, the dome, and the team's performance are the issues. Make the uni one of the top looking in the league and the Devil Rays name will seem pretty good. Let them play in a true baseball park and the name will be even better. Then, if they put together some winning seasons, the name will seem great.

Come on, it's not like they're the Devil Dog Rayz

Kazmir's brilliance gets noticed

Published May 23, 2006

MISCELLANY: Installation starts today of the 10,000-gallon, 35-foot-long kidney-shaped tank that will hold 30 live rays when it opens in July at Tropicana Field.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

As Devil Rays Consider Name Change, Other Teams Join Movement

Boston Herald: The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are considering a change in the team's name. May 15, 2006 | 5:43AM

TAMPA, Florida. New Tampa Bay Devil Rays' owner Stuart Sternberg hit a nerve when he announced Friday that he planned to change the team's name, the first such change in the name of an MLB team that wasn't also changing cities since the Houston Colt .45s became the Astros in 1961.

moving out of that dumpy stadium?

No can do.

The lease on that dumpy is the only thing keeping the team in the Tampa Bay area as it is.

It's a huge Catch-22 for the club.

I never understood why baseball would put a team there anyway, with Florida's tepid reception to the Marlins and the fact that the area is mainly just a spring training haven, with a crappy stadium with too big a lease on it... there wasn't a better city to go to in 1998? Tampa won out over Washington? Really?

moving out of that dumpy stadium?

No can do.

The lease on that dumpy is the only thing keeping the team in the Tampa Bay area as it is.

It's a huge Catch-22 for the club.

I never understood why baseball would put a team there anyway, with Florida's tepid reception to the Marlins and the fact that the area is mainly just a spring training haven, with a crappy stadium with too big a lease on it... there wasn't a better city to go to in 1998? Tampa won out over Washington? Really?

Tampa Bay almost got so many teams over the years they were due for an expansion club (same reason Toronto got their team in '77, coincidentally both cities were expected to get the Giants just before getting expansion clubs)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Any yahoo who thinks of Satan when he hears Devil Rays is an idiot. The name is a good one and appropriate for the area.

As far as the stadium, it was the worst place I have EVER seen a game. That included little league fields and town parks. It like being in a mall looking for the food court and you make a turn and vwah-lah you are in the outfield of a baseball stadium. They need a retractable roof or something to get some light in there.

They have great colors for baseball. The green is a nice shade of green and they don't overuse the black. It is a nice uniform. The uniforms wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for the terrible logo and word mark. The trend in baseball is more classic and they just need to jump on the bus like everyone else. Having the devil Ray itself as part of the logo is stupid. It would be like the Red Sox hanging those red sox next to the "B", it is just clunky. If they made a nice "TB" logo in a classic old font like the Brooklyn Dodgers or something, it would look great. Then just carry that to the logo and the uniform numbers. Saying that the name is synonymous with losing is stupid because there is only one way to change that, and that is to win. What are you gonna do? Change the name every few years? If you don't create a valid plan that makes you win, your name will always make people think of losing. I remember for most of my youth the Braves were like the Royals of baseball, they always stunk. They all of a sudden they went on a tear and won year after year and now the name "Braves" is the name of a winner. No one remembers them losing and how that name made you think of that.

Name change likely delayed until 2008

Published May 28, 2006

BOSTON - With a Wednesday Major League Baseball deadline looming, the Devil Rays have all but scrapped plans to change the team name, colors and uniforms for next season.

"It's now highly unlikely," principal owner Stuart Sternberg said at Fenway Park before Saturday's game. "The plan is to have it done by '08. It's highly unlikely we'd do it for '07."

Because there are so many complicated issues related to such a change, including uniforms, caps, logos, signage, apparel and merchandise, MLB requires notice by May 31 of the preceding season.

Because the Rays realize the magnitude of making what Sternberg said would be a dramatic and "wholesale change," they want to spend more time on the project and be "able to explore it to its fullest."

Though team officials have looked at numerous potential names, color schemes, logos and names, they did not want their decision to be rushed by the deadline.

"To me, this was always a nonevent, but it became a story," Sternberg said. "We intend still to do it. But we want to do it when we can address it with the proper brainpower to do it. It's going to happen."

So there goes another year of merchandise sales? (Why buy when it will be replaced?)

Those in the know, can you reveal now "what could have been"? Obviously they're not content with what they came up with and I can't imagine this thread dragging on another year.

I don't understand the "wrongness" about having "Devil" in the name. It's THE NAME OF THE CREATURE. It's not like they added it in front just to be Goth or something.

Because people are stupid.

I don't thnk it's a bad name and their current uniforms/logo aren't too bad either. I can understand why the new ownership would want to announce that it's a new era of Devil Ray baseball in dramatic fashion, but change just for the sake of change is a bad thing. Winning some games and renovating the stadium (cause they can't leave it for like 20 more years) will change the perception of the Devil Rays.

They have great colors for baseball. The green is a nice shade of green and they don't overuse the black.

IMO - the colors are the worst part of this whole thing:

TampaBayDevilRays_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

Three very dark colors and White just don't work.

We've had countless threads on this over the years, but many of us have come up with re-colorizations of the D-Rays' logo, and which use much better shades of Green and Blue.

Here's one of my own:

TampaBayDevilRays_Prop_03.jpg

The name remains the same...

Sunday, May 28, 2006

The news in Sunday's Times is that Rays have all but officially dropped plans to change the team name, uniform and colors for next season. Official word is expected this week, but it will be merely a formality.

While some eager for change may consider that disappointing, it actually could be a good thing. By 2008, the Rays expect to be a better team, which means a team that draws more fans and attracts more attention, so the name change could have a much bigger impact then. (And they could sell much more merchandise with the new logo on it, more replicas of the new uniforms, etc.)

Plus it means the Rays will have more to time to get it right. They are going to put a lot of hours, effort, research and money into the process. Principal owner Stuart Sternberg made it very clear, standing on the Fenway Park field before Saturday's game, that he realizes the significance of this type of action, and that it is a once-in-a-franchise opportunity.

No one ever quite understood how Vince Naimoli and Co. came to settle on Devil Rays intially. Sternberg said they are talking about dramatic and ""wholesale'' change, and that being said, he and his stable of bright and creative executives obviously want to make sure they make the right choice. More importantly, they want to be sure their selection is more warmly received than Devil Rays was. Tarpons? Tropics? Sting Rays? Barracudas? Let the guessing continue for another year.

To Tampa Bay: Keep the name, change the uniforms/wordmarks. And burn the stadium lease and play in a real ballpark. Pansies.

it's too huuumiiiiiiiiiiiiiid

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived