It's Official, Rays considering name change

TBGKon

Chicago Sun-Times Big-League Buzz

By Chris De Luca

April 9, 2006

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays met a March 31 deadline to inform MLB of their proposed name change for next season. Tarpons and Saints are on their list, though speculation is they'll drop Devil -- to appease religious groups -- and go by Rays. Team management nixed pleas to drop Tampa Bay and adopt St. Petersburg, the team's actual home.

Mailbag: Who will be Rays' closer?

By Bill Chastain

April 10, 2006

Now that the season has begun, do we know anything about the new name change? I have been cheering for the Rays for the past several years, and I would hate for it to be a major change.

-- Bryce H., Fayetteville, Ark.

Though we won't know anything until after May 31, when the team would have to apply for such a change, I've been getting a vibe that the new ownership does want to change the name. It might be something subtle, such as Rays -- which is now the accepted reference to the team -- or it might be something more radical. Team president Matt Silverman said that if any such name change occurs, the fans would be involved in selecting the new name.

Now this is a stretch, but something that I thought was interesting. Manager Joe Maddon has mentioned that he wants to turn Tropicana Field into "The Pit" and a place "where people won't want to come in here to play."

Well, stingrays hunt by gliding slowly over soft seabed, searching for the water currents created by filter-feeding bivalves, the electrical signals given off by burrowing crabs, small shrimp darting off, or whatever their particular food preference may be. On detection of subsurface prey, a ray will settle over the spot, pump water through the modified gill opening (the spiracle) behind its eye, and jet this water out through its gills on the under-surface of its body to hydraulically mine the sediment and uncover the prey. This leaves a "feeding pit" at the site.

Hmmm...

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I was rooting through the uspto.gov website, I noticed that the only team name the Devil Rays owned the rights to besides the D-Rays was.....

The Tampa Bay Rays (sorry if this is potentially old news)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Manager Joe Maddon has mentioned that he wants to turn Tropicana Field into "The Pit" and a place "where people won't want to come in here to play."

Well, he's already got his own team to buy into the concept, now he just has to work on the other 13 in the AL...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I remember reading a rumor about this, but apparently one of the new changes to Tropicana Field will be a giant tank of rays:

The Rays have spent more than $10 million in improvements to Tropicana Field this off-season. The improvements include:

COMING IN JULY: 30 foot by 20 foot Ray touch tank which can hold up to 30 Rays.

That seems like good evidence that it won't be the Saints or Tarpons and instead just the Tampa Bay Rays...

pMLB2-1790113dt.jpg

Manager Joe Maddon has mentioned that he wants to turn Tropicana Field into "The Pit" and a place "where people won't want to come in here to play."

Well, he's already got his own team to buy into the concept, now he just has to work on the other 13 in the AL...

Alright, no making fun of Joe Maddon. He is a proud graduate of Lafayette College, so I won't tolerate such actions.

Making fun of his team, on the other hand, . . . not only tolerated, but appropriate and welcomed.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Rays works fine based off the current name, nickname, etc. but I tell ya the Tampa Bay Saints is cool name and should appease the St. Pete crowd.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Alright, no making fun of Joe Maddon. He is a proud graduate of Lafayette College, so I won't tolerate such actions.

Making fun of his team, on the other hand, . . . not only tolerated, but appropriate and welcomed.

Can we make fun of the glasses?

Can we make fun of the glasses?

Since he apparently lets everyone else do it, who am I to stand in the way.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Branding company out of New York is doing Tampa Bay identity over. Interbrand did Tropicana Orange Juice packaging so made sense to bring them into the process. It might be scary because the firm has no real sports branding experience to speak of. The last fim with no sports logo experience di the new Blue Jays marks and uniforms. Need I say more. Yechhh. Hang on...

Gameplan | A Strategy for Achieving an Objective.

Branding company out of New York is doing Tampa Bay identity over. Interbrand did Tropicana Orange Juice packaging so made sense to bring them into the process. It might be scary because the firm has no real sports branding experience to speak of. The last fim with no sports logo experience di the new Blue Jays marks and uniforms. Need I say more. Yechhh. Hang on...

:cry:

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

"Branding company out of New York is doing Tampa Bay identity over. Interbrand did Tropicana Orange Juice packaging so made sense to bring them into the process. It might be scary because the firm has no real sports branding experience to speak of. The last fim with no sports logo experience did the new Blue Jays marks and uniforms." Hang on.

Or then again it could turn out to be very successful. You just never know. That's the beauty of logo design and sports branding... you just never know...

Gameplan | A Strategy for Achieving an Objective.

The Devil Rays need a retractable roof stadium.

While your argument is sound, and Florida weather would seem to make a roof of some kind almost mandatory, your argument overlooks one salient point: The Rays can't draw anyone to the park now, so how can you justify Tampa/St. Pete and the state of Florida footing the bill to build a newer, more expensive playpen to house a team no one is supporting in great numbers at present? "If you build it, they will come" is not good enough if it's my tax dollars on the line... :therock:

The location is a problem, it is nowhere near in the general area of the populus. Here is a map showing where myself and a group of friends agree where a new ballpark should be:

map.png

The green dot is where the Rays play

The red dot is where the Buccaneers play

The blue dot is where the Lightning play

The black box is generally where the Rays should consider a new ballpark

For the most part the other 2 teams are centrally located and placing the Rays in the box would centralize the team in the area

While your argument is sound, and Florida weather would seem to make a roof of some kind almost mandatory, your argument overlooks one salient point: The Rays can't draw anyone to the park now, so how can you justify Tampa/St. Pete and the state of Florida footing the bill to build a newer, more expensive playpen to house a team no one is supporting in great numbers at present? "If you build it, they will come" is not good enough if it's my tax dollars on the line... :therock:

I agree. If The Devil do get a new stadium it would need a retractable roof. They would have to build it themselves though. Although location is a problem the major problem is the demographics of the area. Pretty much the entire area is transplant from the New York area and it is mostly Yankees Fan. Then the Yankees are in town the stadium is 95% Yankees Fan. I went to 2 games last year there against the Yankees and the even had Yankee merchandise in the windows in the souviener shops in the stadium. I know all the stadiums have a little bit for each team but they had the Yankee shirts in the windows. The team has little to no chance.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Pretty much the entire area is transplant from the New York area and it is mostly Yankees Fan.

Get your facts straight.

My family is from Ohio. My next door neighbors are also from Ohio and Wisconsin. The family across the street is from Michigan. Their next door neighbors are from Toronto and Chicago. The only person on our street that is from New York is the old maid from Long Island that lives on the corner. The Tampa Bay area is very diversified.

Your statement would be like me saying that NY-NJ is mostly populated by mobsters and gangbangers. Broad based generalization...Yes. Unfair...Yes.

The team has little to no chance.

So if the team is not from NY or Boston, they don't count, eh?

The location is a problem, it is nowhere near in the general area of the populus. Here is a map showing where myself and a group of friends agree where a new ballpark should be:

map.png

The green dot is where the Rays play

The red dot is where the Buccaneers play

The blue dot is where the Lightning play

The black box is generally where the Rays should consider a new ballpark

For the most part the other 2 teams are centrally located and placing the Rays in the box would centralize the team in the area

Oldsmar?!!!

Explain to me how you're going to get people to a stadium in OLDSMAR on a weekday night at 7pm. Please do.

A more logical choice would be either downtown Tampa(where there are ZERO traffic problems after the 5 oclock rush), somewhere near the fairgrounds(I-4 and I-75 area), or basically anywhere where 2 interstates meet (ie: the veterans and I-275 or even Ulmerton and I-275)

SigReflect.png

Pretty much the entire area is transplant from the New York area and it is mostly Yankees Fan.

Get your facts straight.

My family is from Ohio. My next door neighbors are also from Ohio and Wisconsin. The family across the street is from Michigan. Their next door neighbors are from Toronto and Chicago. The only person on our street that is from New York is the old maid from Long Island that lives on the corner. The Tampa Bay area is very diversified.

Diversified because the team is losing.

When he Rays start winning, all you bastards who still cheer for your "teams back home" will jump on the bandwagon. It happened with the Bucs, it happened with the Lightning, it'll happen with the Rays.

All Yankee fans are jackoffs.

SigReflect.png

Archived