It's Official, Rays considering name change

TBGKon

But if you can't say anything, why bother telling others you know?  Is it just to feel self important?

No, it's to confirm for those who have heard rumors that the rumors are true (and to sometimes lead tips to direct us in the correct outcome). Since the population here is ever-increasing, he has to point out that he can't reveal his sources for fear of losing said sources (or the whole 'who do you think you are' keeps happening).

It's where I sit.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But if you can't say anything, why bother telling others you know?  Is it just to feel self important?

No, it's to confirm for those who have heard rumors that the rumors are true (and to sometimes lead tips to direct us in the correct outcome). Since the population here is ever-increasing, he has to point out that he can't reveal his sources for fear of losing said sources (or the whole 'who do you think you are' keeps happening).

Unless it is done via PM, I must be missing something. If a person heard a rumor and he validates it, doesn't that put him in trouble as well? After all, if the leagues know this is happening, why isn't he cut off already? I just find something very illogical about the attitude concerning this info.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Whatever. It's annoying to hear "nah nah I'm not telling" every time anything is being kept under wraps but I understand the ramifications of him spilling it, so I deal

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The concourse walls, formerly green, white and exposed cement, now glow with warm burgundy, lime, purple and pacific blue hues. The bathrooms were brightened with paint, a grid ceiling, and a new lighting system, countertops and tile floors.

I know that paint is cheap and easily applied, but think that these are the colors that they have in mind?

Pantone??? Anyone? Anyone?

Maybe they should have spent the money on some good players.

The concourse walls, formerly green, white and exposed cement, now glow with warm burgundy, lime, purple and pacific blue hues. The bathrooms were brightened with paint, a grid ceiling, and a new lighting system, countertops and tile floors.

I know that paint is cheap and easily applied, but think that these are the colors that they have in mind?

Pantone??? Anyone? Anyone?

Maybe they should have spent the money on some good players.

I like to use the Blue Jays as a good example. New ownership came in a year or so ago and they didn't make decent roster moves until this past offseason. You cant just pull good player moves out of nowhere. The Rays will make decent moves in the next offseasosn or the one after that, you watch and see.

I've said when the frnachise was originally awarded. I said it the first time there was thinking of renaming the franchise, and I say it now....

The Rowdies!!!

Bring Back the Tampa Bay Rowdies!!!!!!!

Yes, so it was the name of a soccer team that has folded. So what? The Colorado Rockies were named after a failed NHL team of the 70s and 80s. The Florida Marlins pay homage to several Miami minor league teams. The Colorado Avalance is the second team in the Mile High City to be so nicknamed: Denver Avalanche of the original Major Indoor Soccer League. There is presidence...Go For It!!!!

Bring Back the Tampa Bay Rowdies!!!!!!!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Maddon to his starters: You complete us

By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer

Published April 9, 2006

RAYS RUMBLINGS: Though the Rays only had to tell MLB by March 31 that they were considering changing their name, it would be an upset if they didn't do something.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The Boston Globe reported this morning that the Rays would have until May 31 to submit the name change to MLB.

Think twice

The Devil Rays, perennial losers since beginning play in 1998, have obtained permission from Major League Baseball to consider a name change. They have until May 31 to come up with a suggested name. Baseball historian John Thorn noted the Boston Braves did the same thing in 1936; they called themselves the Bees and the ballpark the Beehive. ''The result was very predictable: Nothing," Thorn said. ''They went back to the Braves."

Per the Gameplan Creative website, they are "to begin exploratory venue re-design of Tropicana Field for the MLB Tampa Bay Devil Rays" in March 2006.

Perhaps they are still in the running...

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

What we need here is a sports logo "psychic" who posts his/her visions as to what the new logos, colors, uniforms, etc. are going to be.

OR

Pantone could just create a new user name, use a proxy server to cover his tracks, and play the role of the psychic.  After all, Pantone is being stripped of his reputation as a resource if he knows all but says nothing.  :P

***This is posted in good fun.  But seriously, being a logo dick tease is irritating.  Why say anything if you cannot share anything?

And people getting bent out of shape because he can't reveal his sources is getting old also. Would you rather be completely out of the loop?

I'd think we are out of the loop anyway if we are never given any info at all. He creates the illusion that we are all included, but yet we are not.

And yes it is self important, which is why most people post on message boards anyway. It gives the illusion of power. At this point I just find it comical. "I know something really exciting!" ...... "But I can't tell."

It would be ok if we were all 14, but from what I undertsand some of us are over 30.

TEAR THE ROOF OFF THE SUCKER

Why so every home game can go through a rain delay or be rained out. I agree they need to do something with the roof but an open air stadium won't work there. It rains every day in Tampa/St. Pete during the summer. If they had an open air stadium there would be constant delays and rain outs. The Devil Rays need a retractable roof stadium.

TEAR THE ROOF OFF THE SUCKER

Why so every home game can go through a rain delay or be rained out. I agree they need to do something with the roof but an open air stadium won't work there. It rains every day in Tampa/St. Pete during the summer. If they had an open air stadium there would be constant delays and rain outs. The Devil Rays need a retractable roof stadium.

If the weather in Tampa Bay is unsuited to baseball with real grass and an open sky, maybe you shouldn't have a team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I am given to understand (in part from what I've read, and in part from an old friend who lives in St. Pete) that the real problem with the stadium is the location. Too many Tampans (? is that correct?) won't travel across the bridge for games.

That seems to me to be the Catch-22 for the Devil Rays. They can't leave the Trop, the lease at the Trop is the only thing keeping them in the area, and the Trop is frequently blamed for the low attendance. I don't know what the solution is.

The Devil Rays need a retractable roof stadium.

While your argument is sound, and Florida weather would seem to make a roof of some kind almost mandatory, your argument overlooks one salient point: The Rays can't draw anyone to the park now, so how can you justify Tampa/St. Pete and the state of Florida footing the bill to build a newer, more expensive playpen to house a team no one is supporting in great numbers at present? "If you build it, they will come" is not good enough if it's my tax dollars on the line... :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Whatever. It's annoying to hear "nah nah I'm not telling" every time anything is being kept under wraps but I understand the ramifications of him spilling it, so I deal

Not to beat a dead horse.... but was Pantone given the correct information, or a smokescreen? Pantone, indeed has connections, but anyone who has sources also knows that sources can, and will, set off a different scent...

The way I see it, Pantone's smart for NOT revealing his sources. He could be telling us the new team name is the.... and then we find out May 31 (or after, I'm sure it'll still be a secret) that the new name is instead the....

(Pantone, I'm defending you here!)

Archived