Official NHL playoff thread

Shane Does Art

I found the presentation of the Prince of Wales Trophy a little different. Instead of just the Captain posing with (and maybe touching) the Trophy with Bill Daly (who didn't even make the game because he was weather-delayed at an airport in New Jersey), they instead got the entire team to stand around the trophy, none of them touching it.

I know in 2003, the New Jersey Devils actually took the trophy, skated to center ice and posed with it as if they won the Cup, but this one was a little different and actually looked cooler because it was for a trophy nobody wants to touch.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am rooting for the Canes. I have been impressed by them all year and they are fun to watch. Also, I am rooting for the vets they have. Guys like Mark Recchi, Doug Weight and especially my boy, Rod Brind'Amour.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

It pains me to do it, but as a Lightning fan, I have to support my fellow southeast division foes. Any Stanley Cup that goes to a non-traditional hockey town I'm all over it.

...and guess what, for the 2nd season in a row we have USA v. Canada!

I found the presentation of the Prince of Wales Trophy a little different. Instead of just the Captain posing with (and maybe touching) the Trophy with Bill Daly (who didn't even make the game because he was weather-delayed at an airport in New Jersey), they instead got the entire team to stand around the trophy, none of them touching it.

I know in 2003, the New Jersey Devils actually took the trophy, skated to center ice and posed with it as if they won the Cup, but this one was a little different and actually looked cooler because it was for a trophy nobody wants to touch.

Actually interesting note about Stevens and the Devils. They won the Prince of Wales throphy 4 times (95,00,01,03). Every time but once Stevens actually picked up the trophy when it was awarded. The one year he didn't touch it was also the one yaer they didn't go on to win the Stanley Cup. So they were the opposite of the superstition of not touching the conference championship trophy.

I really found myself becoming a Sabres fan as the playoffs progressed, even though they knocked off Ottawa, the team I wanted to win when they started. I was really impressed with their total team approach and Briere really made a name for himself this spring, as did Miller. They will be a team to watch for the next few years for certain.

It's odd to think Carolina will have been in the finals twice in five years (four seasons!). The finals will have to go a long way to equal the Hurricanes/Sabres series. That was what hockey is all about.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

i'm cheering for the canes, so the deep south can have another cup.

Smart. That bastard Karmanos doesn't deserve the cup that protects Brind'amour's junk.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Alright, simple tiebreaker.

The tiebreaker will be whoever is closest to predicting the average number of goals per game in the Stanley Cup Finals (both teams). Feel free to give decimal answers... the answers will be rounded to the nearest hundredth of a goal.

OMMF and Shumway, please send your PMs now.

Meanwhile, I'll post current standings.

RK Player             PTS P06 MIN MAX
-- ------------------ --- --- --- ---
01 rams80              32 ???  60 100
02 HedleyLamarr        29 ???  20  80
03 OMMF                28 ???  40 100
03 Shumway3319         28 ???  40 100
05 BCBoy               27 ???  20  80

06 randyc              26   8

07 HatCityEnforcer     21   6
08 nsentv              19   6
09 bills2005           17   6
09 Coast2CoastAM2006   17   6
11 winters in buffalo  15   6
11 Fred T. Jane        15   6

13 EagleFan344         14   4
14 EyeAmRaps88         13   4
14 Roger Clemente      13   4
14 SeaDragon76         13   4
17 StarrDogg           12   4
18 shanurr             11   4

19 BigBrain61          10   2
20 DirtyCurty           8   2
20 NJTank               8   2
20 OnWis97              8   2
23 brendan17            7   2
24 willmorris           6   2

To give an explanation on the "P06" column... my idea was to tie together all pick'em type activities and crown the best prognosticator of the year, starting with the NFL and NBA playoffs and continuing to next year's March Madness.

LvZYtbZ.png

Alright, simple tiebreaker.

The tiebreaker will be whoever is closest to predicting the average number of goals per game in the Stanley Cup Finals (both teams). Feel free to give decimal answers... the answers will be rounded to the nearest hundredth of a goal.

OMMF and Shumway, please send your PMs now.

Meanwhile, I'll post current standings.

RK Player             PTS P06 MIN MAX
-- ------------------ --- --- --- ---
01 rams80              32 ???  60 100
02 HedleyLamarr        29 ???  20  80
03 OMMF                28 ???  40 100
03 Shumway3319         28 ???  40 100
05 BCBoy               27 ???  20  80

06 randyc              26   8

07 HatCityEnforcer     21   6
08 nsentv              19   6
09 bills2005           17   6
09 Coast2CoastAM2006   17   6
11 winters in buffalo  15   6
11 Fred T. Jane        15   6

13 EagleFan344         14   4
14 EyeAmRaps88         13   4
14 Roger Clemente      13   4
14 SeaDragon76         13   4
17 StarrDogg           12   4
18 shanurr             11   4

19 BigBrain61          10   2
20 DirtyCurty           8   2
20 NJTank               8   2
20 OnWis97              8   2
23 brendan17            7   2
24 willmorris           6   2

To give an explanation on the "P06" column... my idea was to tie together all pick'em type activities and crown the best prognosticator of the year, starting with the NFL and NBA playoffs and continuing to next year's March Madness.

Wow I did bad here are you gonna post the NBA standings I gotta be doing better there

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Ill have my predictions on Sunday, sadly Ive not doen that good in my NHL picks.

Please pick Carolina. Thanks.

I gotta say I hope they officially use the Redneck vs. Roughneck for this series. Thats such a wicked name.
What's with this whole "Roughneck" thing? I know TSN first used it last night, but it feels like another case of confusing Calgary with Edmonton, considering Cowfairy's NLL team are called the Roughnecks. ^_^ I don't like it.
teams-1.png

Ill have my predictions on Sunday, sadly Ive not doen that good in my NHL picks.

Please pick Carolina. Thanks.

I gotta say I hope they officially use the Redneck vs. Roughneck for this series. Thats such a wicked name.
What's with this whole "Roughneck" thing? I know TSN first used it last night, but it feels like another case of confusing Calgary with Edmonton, considering Cowfairy's NLL team are called the Roughnecks. ^_^ I don't like it.

If it was Calgary, it would be the Rednecks Vs. Rednecks.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

[Teacher mode] A Roughneck traditionally refers to a low-ranking worker on an oilfield drilling rig, but is now a Roughneck refers to someone on the deck of an oil rig who handles the specialized drilling and pressure control equipment. The term roustabout has replaced roughneck in its traditional use. Because of this, the term "roughneck" is perfectly applicable to the Edmonton Oilers, as their secondary logo actually has a roughneck on it.[/Teacher mode]

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

[Teacher mode] A Roughneck traditionally refers to a low-ranking worker on an oilfield drilling rig, but is now a Roughneck refers to someone on the deck of an oil rig who handles the specialized drilling and pressure control equipment. The term roustabout has replaced roughneck in its traditional use. Because of this, the term "roughneck" is perfectly applicable to the Edmonton Oilers, as their secondary logo actually has a roughneck on it.[/Teacher mode]

Quality answer. *Thumb up.*

teams-1.png

I just realised something cool about this finals. The Hurricanes have 2 Petes alumni in Eric Staal and Cory Stillman. The Oilers have one of the more famous Petes alumni and a former player for the Hartford Whaler franchise in Chris Pronger. So count it, 3 Petes players are in the Stanley Cup final, and thats pretty damn wicked.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

If Carolina wins the series, then Edmonton will be the 17th consecutive different Stanley Cup Final loser. Hard to think that not one team has lost more than one Cup final since 1989.

champssig2.png

If Carolina wins the series, then Edmonton will be the 17th consecutive different Stanley Cup Final loser. Hard to think that not one team has lost more than one Cup final since 1989.

'91 and '00?

Different name, same team. ^_^

If Carolina wins the series, then Edmonton will be the 17th consecutive different Stanley Cup Final loser.  Hard to think that not one team has lost more than one Cup final since 1989.

'91 and '00?

Different name, same team. ^_^

Different city, different name...I consider it a different team.

champssig2.png

Archived