Ottawa Senators Concept

steiny_ramone

For this concept, I modified the Sens current alt jersey by replacing gold with the mint green from thier original unused logo. I also put the unused logo on the jersey as the primary. I then threw in a barberpole alt for kicks. C+C please

newsens1.png

newsens2.png

newsens3.png

What's the significane of connecting the t's at the top with the flag?

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

The mint green comes from the aged copper color of the roof. The T's form the shape of the Peace Tower on Parliment Hill in Ottawa.

About the concept. I like the white with the red and green, but the red jersey looks kinda awkward with the black writing...I don't know what you could change it to to make it look better. I love the alternate jersey, very retro, looks kinda one I came up with... (I can't find the link to my post!)

Ottawa in black with Ts forming Peace Tower with Canadian Flag

http://www.chriscreamer.com/logo.php?lo=6552

Unused (1991 - 1992) ^_^

Wasn't it used in the initial push to get the Senators before the logo was created?

BTW, found some merchandise with the logo on it:

2046.jpg

Also, love the barberpole alternates. :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

About the concept. I like the white with the red and green, but the red jersey looks kinda awkward with the black writing...I don't know what you could change it to to make it look better. I love the alternate jersey, very retro, looks kinda one I came up with... (I can't find the link to my post!)

I wasn't sure what to do about the red jersey either. I was there was a bigger pic of that logo on the flag that fred t jane posted. That would have worked well, but I cant find one anywhere.

And thanks for mentioning that the colour comes from the copper on the roof. I forgot to mention that in my original post.

As I remember the NHL told the original owners they couldn't use the "Peace Tower" logo. The league wanted something more than just a word mark, that's how they came up with the Senator as a Roman Centurion ... real logical that one.

Calling the Peace Tower logo 'unused' isn't entirely accurate. It's probably placed in that category on the main site because it wasn't used by the NHL team, but it was all over the place during the campaign to get the franchise - newspaper, TV, flags, t-shirts, hockey sweaters, etc.

Fred's right, it's actually better described as a bid logo.

Mockba, believe it or not, when the current logo was introduced, there were a lot of people (not a majority, but a significant number) who were upset because they preferred the Peace Tower logo.

As I remember the NHL told the original owners they couldn't use the "Peace Tower" logo. The league wanted something more than just a word mark, that's how they came up with the Senator as a Roman Centurion ... real logical that one.

It's plenty logical if you consider it.

A modern senator would be difficult to depict unless you went with a silly caricature, therefore the team looked to the famous Senate of ancient Rome, and employed a Roman theme, including calling the arena 'The Palladium', and the mascot 'Spartacat' after Spartacus.

The logo is not a Centurion. We went over it a while back:

Ottawa's Logo - Centurion or Senator?

A modern senator would be difficult to depict unless you went with a silly caricature, therefore the team looked to the famous Senate of ancient Rome, and employed a Roman theme, including calling the arena 'The Palladium', and the mascot 'Spartacat' after Spartacus.

I hate to add this, because I thought that the Palladium was the best name for a stadium in North America when the Sens became a team. But neither "Palladium" nor "Spartacat" really belong with the Senators' Roman theme, since neither are Roman in origin.

The word "Palladium" is the Latin translation of the Greek Palladion (Παλλάδιον), which was a statue of the goddess (Pallas) Athena that sat on the Acropolis, protector of the city-state of Athens. Spartacat was presumably named for Spartacus, who led the famous slave revolt against the Romans. He was not Roman; it is believed that was Thracian or Macedonian, but was trained to fight in the style of the city-state of Sparta. Thus his Latin name, Spartacus - "man of Sparta".

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Not surprising, given the strong influence of Greek culture on Roman society. However, Roman lifestyle, language, and art cannot be called any less Roman simply because they were influenced by earlier Mediterranean civilizations. If the term 'Palladium' was used in Rome, then I think it's appropriately used in a Roman theme. We wouldn't deny the 'Americanness' of the United States because it's society is largely based on British traditions.

Whatever Spartacus' origins, his historical importance is due to his actions on the Roman stage, and the effects those actions had upon Roman society. As a significant figure in the Roman world, I think it's suitable to allude to him within the context of the Senators' Roman theme.

:D It's probably safe to assume that 'Spartacat' was chosen because someone thought it would sound cool to kids, and 'Palladium' was used because there were already NHL arenas called 'Forum' and 'Pacific Coliseum'.

Though the terms 'Palladium' and 'Spartacat' may not be perfect fits for a Roman theme, they do fit nonetheless.

Archived