Padres honor Negro Leagues

SEMOSTLfan

It takes the all the professional leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL) in-house design departments months and months and months to design some pretty lame new designs (see San Diego Padres) and then a team throws a throwback night (see San Diego Paders) and the jerseys are just spectacular... simple coincidence or is the in-house design concept forever flawed?

Fred Gehrke

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It takes the all the professional leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL) in-house design departments months and months and months to design some pretty lame new designs (see San Diego Padres) and then a team throws a throwback night (see San Diego Paders) and the jerseys are just spectacular... simple coincidence or is the in-house design concept forever flawed?

Is that a rhetorical question? :P

(yes, I watched with the volume down and chose to listen to Cubs legend Ron Santo on the radio.)

I didn't think anyone listened to Ron Santo by choice :D

Ron Santo : Cubs fans :: Mike Shannon : Cards fans

Honestly...I can't stand either one of them.

Most Big D fans have big egos and big mouths and no class. Most think that all their teams are better then the Spurs/Rockets/Astros/Texans.

I always thought that it was University of Texas fans who had the big egos, big mouths, (big money) and no class, and that they were spread evenly throughout the state.

Rangers fans don't think that their team is better than anyone. History speaks for itself.

Mavericks fans can't talk trash about either the Rockets or Spurs. Again, just look at the scoreboard . . . .

Now Cowboys fans, they are a problem.

If you are wearing a throwback jersey, the least you can do it wear it "old style" and not pull your pant legs down to your shoes like Bonds or Manny and show off the best part of the jersey - those great socks! Have some sympathy for your history dude...

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

i enjoy shannon because he's THE voice of the Cardinals

I thought Jack Buck was the voice of the cardinals, dead or not.

Amen, Lami, Amen.

Oh, and the Padres' khaki road jerseys are frickin' cool.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Amen, Lami, Amen.

Oh, and the Padres' khaki road jerseys are frickin' cool.

Amen, Mocky, Amen.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Right on. Its like saying Santo is THE voice of the Cubs.

There have been better before them, and there will be better after. But nobody beats Harry and Jack. Except Vin. Or Ernie.

Ed Farmer might be there someday, sorry but he's REALLY good.

Back on topic...San Diego Throwbacks looked great.

If you are wearing a throwback jersey, the least you can do it wear it "old style" and not pull your pant legs down to your shoes like Bonds or Manny and show off the best part of the jersey - those great socks! Have some sympathy for your history dude...

It just would show that those punks Ramirez and Bonds have no respect for the game, much less for themselves.

Right on. Its like saying Santo is THE voice of the Cubs.

There have been better before them, and there will be better after. But nobody beats Harry and Jack. Except Vin. Or Ernie.

Ed Farmer might be there someday, sorry but he's REALLY good.

Back on topic...San Diego Throwbacks looked great.

I beg to differ...the Reds on Radio with Marty and Joe top the list.

(But, Harry, Ernie, Ron, Jack and Vin are pretty good too. B) )

1. Those are some beautiful throwbacks, certainly good enough to be used today. (Then again, the PCL was generally a well-dressed league.) A rarity among special-event uniforms, even throwback or Negro League tribute events, when the novelty lets you overlook the uninspired old uniform. At least two-thirds of all big-league teams could switch to the '48 Padres uniform and it wouldn't be a downgrade.

2. Quit picking on the tan road unis! They're awesome. And even if you subscribe to the "different is bad" meme that is the source of the anti-tan bandwagon, the greatness of the tan uniforms is objectively provable. It's not just a matter of opinion. What is the purpose of a road uniform? To allow spectators to easily discern which players are from which team. With bases loaded, for example, there are 5 guys wearing the batting team's uniform and 4 guys wearing the pitching team's uniform spread across the 200-foot arc of the infield. That's a crowded space. Most teams nowadays wear "gray" road uniforms so light that they are nearly indistinguishable from white under direct sunlight or bright stadium lights and when seen from a distance greater than 100 feet or on anything but the most hi-def video screens. Which is to say, most modern road "grays" do not fulfill their only justifying purpose of helping fans easily distinguish the teams. Say what you will about tan uniforms being ugly, it is not possible to confuse a Padres player from a home-team player when San Diego is on the road. Ergo, the tan uniforms are superior to most light-gray road uniforms when considered as uniforms. QED.

20082614447.png

Maybe market forces do affect these things:

I saw that someone had called the Team Store and that the word was that these jerseys would not be sold. I called them on Sunday, hoping that enough pressure might get them to do something about it. The lady said there was no plan at this time to get the jerseys.

Skip to today. I called the team offices to try and ask someone in marketing about it. I got redirected back to the team store, where the same lady said that there had been so many requests for the throwbacks that they were trying to get a shipment of them from the manufacturer. She said there was a list now for people interested, and the team would notify you if they became available. She also said that the game jerseys might be auctioned off (she said they did it for the last throwback promotion), but she wasn't sure.

So there you go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Wow, I guess I'm one of the few dissenters here on the Padres' 1948 uniforms. I hated them.

For starters, they're Navy and Red. Overused, and unimaginative. I believe at that time, the team was the farm club of the Cleveland Indians, so if you look back, you can see the similarity.

I didn't see anything special about them. The most common color scheme ever invented, cursive script letters across the front. Block numbers across the back. What's the big deal?

Oh, and the hat only featured an "S" on it. Were they too cheap then to add the "D", or in 1948, was "San Padres" sufficient?

Silver Shamrock

I didn't see anything special about them. The most common color scheme ever invented, cursive script letters across the front. Block numbers across the back. What's the big deal?

You need only look at the mess they wear now to understand why these look so good to so many eyes.

Oh, and the hat only featured an "S" on it. Were they too cheap then to add the "D", or in 1948, was "San Padres" sufficient?

I dunno. Ask the Green Bay Packers. :P

I Think that is a bad thing to use Negro League Uniforms because that just shows they don't have any good throwbacks of their own. But i do say the worst negro throwback was the Minnesota Twins. The St. Paul Black Gophers the sleves were so long the interfered with the batters swing.

moss_moon.gif

Archived