Padres honor Negro Leagues

SEMOSTLfan

I Think that is a bad thing to use Negro League Uniforms because that just shows they don't have any good throwbacks of their own.

Read the article - these weren't Negro League uniforms, but uniforms of the original Padres, the PCL club from which the NL club took its name.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Durring the Cubs WGN-TV broadcast, Len and Bob mentioned that the uni's were "authentic" throwbacks, and were made of wool... Anyone think that they were made by Ebbets Field Flannels? I know thay aren't on their web-site, and they had the Majestic logo on the sleve, but maybe that's just part of the marketing agreement... Just get EFF to make you one if you want it that bad...

Moose

I didn't see anything special about them. The most common color scheme ever invented, cursive script letters across the front. Block numbers across the back. What's the big deal?

You need only look at the mess they wear now to understand why these look so good to so many eyes.

I think the Padres current uniforms are A) By far the best the Padres have ever worn; and B) Easily among the 10 best uniform sets in the majors today. I say that as someone who played for the Padres a lot in little league, so I know exactly how smart it is to dress ballplayers in solid brown polyester shirts in summertime. In fact, if I were to make a list of my favorite "new" uniform sets since, say, 1986, I expect the Padres current set would be in the top 5.

But the point is that I think the Padres current uniforms are terrific. And I think these throwbacks are terrific too. Yes, they're relatively simple. Yes, red and navy isn't exactly winning any originality contests. Still, it's a very clean script that looks better than what at least 15 teams currently wear. And the whole uniform strikes a nice balance between straightforward simplicity and detailed adornment that makes it more "classic" and "timeless" than "plain." If the PCL had become the third major league, and the Padres were still wearing a modern version of the 1948 uniform, like the Yankees or the Braves, then everyone here would regard this as one of the classic uniform sets that you just can't mess with. Anytime someone tried to make a Padres concept, the first half dozen responses would be, "OK concept, but you can't improve on a classic."

20082614447.png

Durring the Cubs WGN-TV broadcast, Len and Bob mentioned that the uni's were "authentic" throwbacks, and were made of wool...  Anyone think that they were made by Ebbets Field Flannels?  I know thay aren't on their web-site, and they had the Majestic logo on the sleve, but maybe that's just part of the marketing agreement...  Just get EFF to make you one if you want it that bad...

Moose

If they were wool, they were probably Mitchell & Ness. M&N has provided wool throwback uniforms for MLB in the past.

But EFF are teh sweetness, yo!

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I think these throwbacks are terrific too. Yes, they're relatively simple. Yes, red and navy isn't exactly winning any originality contests. Still, it's a very clean script that looks better than what at least 15 teams currently wear. And the whole uniform strikes a nice balance between straightforward simplicity and detailed adornment that makes it more "classic" and "timeless" than "plain." If the PCL had become the third major league, and the Padres were still wearing a modern version of the 1948 uniform, like the Yankees or the Braves, then everyone here would regard this as one of the classic uniform sets that you just can't mess with. Anytime someone tried to make a Padres concept, the first half dozen responses would be, "OK concept, but you can't improve on a classic."

I couldn't agree more.

I think the Padres current uniforms are A) By far the best the Padres have ever worn; and B) Easily among the 10 best uniform sets in the majors today.

Kinda-sorta. The home uniforms are fantastic, but the road uniforms, decidedly less so. The bowtie script looks silly, and the fabric looks almost urine-soaked. If they still want a khaki-colored road uniform, it should be closer to grey; grey with a hint of tan, and a different San Diego script as well.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The home uniforms are fantastic, but the road uniforms, decidedly less so. The bowtie script looks silly, and the fabric looks almost urine-soaked.

Urine-soaked. That is so accurate and funny that I just may vomit.

And I don't rank the home uniforms either very high either. The script is too wavy.

Frankly, I think that the Pads could use these '48 jerseys today (with their current cap and replacing the red with tan on the wordmark) and it would create the perfect home uniform for the team. A bit of the old mixed with a bot of the new. Classic and modern at the same time. Anybody wanna do a concept?

tanandgrey.jpg

Here's an example of a muted tan that I feel would be better than what they have. This could similarly work for the Royals: a shade of grey that's still close to blue without being as gaudy as the 80s fare.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

IMHO, I love the current home uniforms.

As for the road, using a matte grey with a tine of navy in it just to give the hint of blue and use San Diego in script outlined in white. Big, simple script.

OR if they want tan/khaki go with what they used in 1969. Those road unis look awesome.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

They were definitely not wool and they were made by majestic.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know? I'll take the word of the WGN-TV crew, who, I'll assume, was on the field before the game, and could see that they were, or was told they were wool.

As to them being Majestic, as I mentioned, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were manufactured by someone else, and the Majestic logo added after (as they are the "official on-field supplier" of uniforms). This is not at all uncommon... For a couple of years, the University of North Dakota had Gemini (a Twin Cities athletic companey) make ther hockey uniforms, and had Nike swooshes added because of the contract the University had with them.

Moose

I think the Padres current uniforms are A) By far the best the Padres have ever worn; and B) Easily among the 10 best uniform sets in the majors today.

Kinda-sorta. The home uniforms are fantastic, but the road uniforms, decidedly less so. The bowtie script looks silly, and the fabric looks almost urine-soaked. If they still want a khaki-colored road uniform, it should be closer to grey; grey with a hint of tan, and a different San Diego script as well.

Have to agree that the San Diego word mark is horribly done. The perspective is all off. Add to that the horribly rendered Padres word mark on the home jerseys and the team is simply a mess.

Trying to make a letter form into an object either needs to be perfect or not done at all (examples of poorly done ones would be the Padres P trying to be a sail, WSU trying to be a cougar head, and the Falcons bird trying to be an F)

Archived