White Sox Sunday alts today?

dirwuf

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, the Sox have the hardware but the Cubs have the real estate... and as they say location, location, location...

Think "location" when you look at the waving pennants atop the Wrigley scoreboard and note the placement of the royal-and-red one.

That's the location that matters. I don't need baseball to enjoy all of Wrigleyville's diversions.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In 3 years when the White Sox are 16 games below .500 in late August, they're will be 14,526 fans at US Cellular Field (just like there was last September when the Royals were in town and the Sox were sucking wind) or have you forgotten that fact already... Then, wow, Chicago magically grew 2 and 1/2 million new Sox fans last October...

Look up the term "band wagon jumper" in the dictionary and you'll see a White Sox logo.

Fred Gehrke

Look up the term "band wagon jumper" in the dictionary and you'll see a White Sox logo.

Actually, if you look up World Series Champions in the dictionary you'll see a White Sox logo. :grin:

As a Phillies fan who has endured a lot of losing, when your team finally puts out a fun product you can actually feel good going to a game. Its not bandwagon jumping, its just fans spending money to watch a product they can finally enjoy. I am sure winning a title does bring in new fans, especially kids, but thats the point. Fans pack the stands to see a fun and enjoyable product and the owners rake in the cash. Everybody wins. If the WS are 16 games out in August in 3 years then the fans deserve to show their frustration by not showing up and spending money on a losing product. Nothing wrong with that.

I am sorry the Cubs never win anything and in your mind the wrong Chicago team won last year, but all your posts in this thread scream of frustration and sour grapes, meangreen.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Chicago's the best city in the world?!

ROFLMFAO!!!

Seriously, that's just what the folks in the stands delude themselves into thinking when they're on their third beer and realize the team still isn't playing any better. It's a defense mechanism to keep you from going crazy when you realize you spent all that money on tickets. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yup...that's the Cubs. Stinking up the field since 1908. At least they have the nice throwback televisions hung from the rafters to make up for the poor sightlines, the convenient throwback lights, the nice throwback safety netting, and the nice throwback Bud Light bleachers and other renovated items. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Philly fan-

Losing is the tradeoff you make for having the most beautiful ballpark in the best city in the country...And I don't mean the Cell...

Translation: "I dont know much about baseball. I am not actually a Cubs fan, I am a Wrigley Field fan. I love the fact that the Chicago Tribune tells me every day how great of a fan I am, and that Wrigley is a timeless shrine. It completely escapes me that "diehards" such as myself were nowhere to be seen before the Trib bought the Cubs and successfully marketed Wrigley as a tourist attaction. I like to brag about attendance, because the Cubs "always sell out, and always have", but I wasn't a fan back in the early 80's when they would close off the entire deck because there were only a couple thousand people at any given game. I guess Wrigley wasn't as 'beautiful' or 'historic' back then. Well, it is now, and going there makes me feel good about myself. I mean, all the coolest people go there. It is so chic. Frankly, I would go anywhere to look cool. I once when to a Wham concert back when they were all the rage.

Ok, back to the baseball. As I said, I don't know that much, but I know the fundamentals: ivy, beer, more beer, peeing on lawns outside the park, throwing stuff onto the field, and buying sorority girls beers to flash us. I have no concern for what takes place on the field. I mean, c'mon. Wrigley is so beautiful, and the sell OLD STYLE! That is all that matters. It doesn't matter that it smells of urine, or that it is falling apart. As long as the sun is shining, Sammy is hittin' those zingers, and I can talk on my cellphone and wave to the cameras the whole entire game, I am happy. It actually is convinient that I don't pay attention to the game, because I usually leave after the 7th inning stretch. You know, gotta get to the bars early to find a good spot."

Winning >>> Ivy

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Because if you think Wrigley Field looks nice, you don't love baseball!

Is your arm sore from the giant chip on your shoulder? Sheesh. EVERY damn time someone dares to say Wrigley Field is a great place to watch a ballgame, you pull your same damn act: "

ARGH GRAH BRAK WE WIN BLAH BLAH SORORITY GIRLS BLAH BLAH TRENDY BLAH BLAH FAIR-WEATHER FANS DRUNK STUPID CELL PHONES DON'T GET BASEBALL BLAH WINNING WINNING SMARTBALL F*** THE IVY

Are there Cubs fans that aren't really passionate about the team? Obviously. When you have a large fanbase, that happens. There are Yankee fans that are along for the ride, there are Red Sox fans along for the ride. Who are you to say he doesn't love the Cubs as much as you love the White Sox, you presumptuous bastard? Why can't he take pride in his club? There are true fans of baseball who live and breathe the Chicago Cubs. Of course there are. How dare you repeatedly insinuate that there aren't. Just because a bunch of sorority girls and meatheads populate the bleachers doesn't mean that represents each and every Cub fan out there. But hey, go ahead, write him off as a johnny-come-lately who doesn't love the game and just gets drunk based on the statement "we have the best ballpark." There are plenty of nasty stereotypes for South Siders too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But hey, go ahead, write him off as a johnny-come-lately who doesn't love the game and just gets drunk based on the statement "we have the best ballpark." There are plenty of nasty stereotypes for South Siders too.

Yeah most of them involve mullets, trailer parks, Milwaukee's Best Ice, and butterfly knives. ;)

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

im sorry but the last time i checked, the white sox were 22and 9 on top of their division and the cubbies were 14 and 16 second to last in theirs........let the white sox fan enjoy this time and screw the cubs. wrigley field is old but it aint yankee stadium(winning and all)

I just don't understand how saying "Wrigley Field is my favorite ballpark" is a damning indictment of one's apathy to the game. White Sox fans are so petty.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Because if you think Wrigley Field looks nice, you don't love baseball!

Is your arm sore from the giant chip on your shoulder? Sheesh. EVERY damn time someone dares to say Wrigley Field is a great place to watch a ballgame, you pull your same damn act: "

ARGH GRAH BRAK WE WIN BLAH BLAH SORORITY GIRLS BLAH BLAH TRENDY BLAH BLAH FAIR-WEATHER FANS DRUNK STUPID CELL PHONES DON'T GET BASEBALL BLAH WINNING WINNING SMARTBALL F*** THE IVY

Are there Cubs fans that aren't really passionate about the team? Obviously. When you have a large fanbase, that happens. There are Yankee fans that are along for the ride, there are Red Sox fans along for the ride. Who are you to say he doesn't love the Cubs as much as you love the White Sox, you presumptuous bastard? Why can't he take pride in his club? There are true fans of baseball who live and breathe the Chicago Cubs. Of course there are. How dare you repeatedly insinuate that there aren't. Just because a bunch of sorority girls and meatheads populate the bleachers doesn't mean that represents each and every Cub fan out there. But hey, go ahead, write him off as a johnny-come-lately who doesn't love the game and just gets drunk based on the statement "we have the best ballpark." There are plenty of nasty stereotypes for South Siders too.

See, the only problem with that, is that you didn't read his original post.

He said that HE DOESN'T CARE IF THE CUBS WIN. It doesn't matter if they win, as long as they play in Wrigley. "Losing is the tradeoff you make for having the most beautiful ballpark in the best city in the country"

So, actually, he himself IS the steriotype. This guy just said that it OK with him his team doesn't win. If you actually read what he posted, you would see that he has no pride at all in the Cubs, he just loves the park. There are fairweather fans for any team (although Cubs fans cant be considered 'fairweather', the weather has never been fair), but Cubs fans are an element unseen anywhere else. Yankees fans don't brag about their ballpark like it is the greatest thing ever and it makes them better fans. Yankees fans are smarter than that because they have won championships within the past 98 years. They know there is nothing cute about losing, and there is no reason to see a 100 loss team, no matter where they play. Hell, how long ago was Steinbrenner considering building a new park somewhere else because the Yankees "couldn't draw" in Yankee Stadium? Most fans don't go to games when teams are horrible, that is just how it works.

But please, skim this post, read it selectively, and throw more expletives my way. It really helps your arguement. :rolleyes:

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived