White Sox Sunday alts today?

dirwuf

im sorry but the last time i checked, the white sox were 22and 9 on top of their division and the cubbies were 14 and 16 second to last in theirs........let the white sox fan enjoy this time and screw the cubs. wrigley field is old but it aint yankee stadium(winning and all)

I don't like the Sox, but I have no problem with the fans enjoying their day. They certainly deserve it.

But like your comment, enjoy YOUR season. The Sox fans seem to take more enjoyment in the Cubs misfortunes than they do in their own winning. They have the middle child syndrome.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TheOldRoman:

I enjoyed your Translation post very much.

But,...

Yankees fans don't brag about their ballpark like it is the greatest thing ever and it makes them better fans.

I'm calling BS on this one.

Just ask some of the people on this board and they will tell you so.

TheOldRoman:
Yankees fans don't brag about their ballpark like it is the greatest thing ever and it makes them better fans.

I think you're confusing team and ballpark. Yankees fans think their team makes them better fans (as if it is hard to root for a team with that kind of success), but if they felt that way about Yankee Stadium there would be more of an outcry being made about it being replaced.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

TheOldRoman:

I think you're confusing team and ballpark. Yankees fans think their team makes them better fans (as if it is hard to root for a team with that kind of success), but if they felt that way about Yankee Stadium there would be more of an outcry being made about it being replaced.

You are right...

I was thinking of Red Sox fans.

(And btw,...the Red Sox DID NOT win the 1975 World Series on Carlton Fisk's HR in game 6.)

(And btw,...the Red Sox DID NOT win the 1975 World Series on Carlton Fisk's HR in game 6.)

Ummm, no kidding? Otherwise, that whole "Curse of the Bambino" talk would have been done before 2 years ago.

It's where I sit.

TheOldRoman:

I enjoyed your Translation post very much.

But,...

Thank you. The important thing to remember is, it isn't just White Sox fans that hate the Cubs fans. Ask any Reds, Brewers, Cardinals, or Astros fans think of the frat boys that flock to their stadium to see the Cubs every year.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Ummm, no kidding? Otherwise, that whole "Curse of the Bambino" talk would have been done before 2 years ago.

I love to stick that in there when talking about the Red Sox because up until 2004, that was the last of their WS highlights. Their logic was that if they keep telling themselves over and over..."The Red Sox Did Win The '75 World Series on Fisk's HR"... they started believing it.

Just ask Peter Gammons and Dan Shaughnessy. They did.

If I fit any of the stereotypes being described on this board (other than being loyal), please let me know.

I have never used attendance or ballpark as an argument (in fact, I've never been in an argument with a Sox fan that I know of), because I am a baseball fan, and winning is all that matters. That said, Cubs fans have no argument against the White Sox -- they are the World Series champions. Seriously, what else can be said?

I'm not going to stop supporting my team because they lose. I think it will make it that much sweeter when they do win (assuming I live to see it). I love baseball. I am a Cubs fan. Why should I stop going to Wrigley?

Now, back to the topic -- when in the world are the Sox going to wear those "Sunday" uniforms? Could it be the players don't like the fit? I seem to remember a game where the Sox were going to wear throwbacks of the shorts jerseys and they protested and only wore the caps. Looked very weird.

And not only is Wrigley kick the Cell's ass, the Cubs logo and jerseys are a helluva a lot nicer than the those boring black and silver (oh wow, that's friggin creative black and silver) White Sox jerseys too.

Sorry Charlie Comiskey.

Fred Gehrke

At least if I were to hypothetically attend a game at the phone booth I wouldn't have to bring a hard hat for fear that the upper deck was about to fall on me. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, but you'd need it for a belligerent drunk taking a swing at your head before he runs on the field to beat up a coach

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Do southsiders now call it "The Cell"? Such a shame, I wish they would just pretend not to notice corporate America and still call it Comiskey (it's been a while since I've been back, but I'm still wishful thinking).

Okay, okay, children, let's get some things straight here.

The White Sox did recently remove 8 rows from their upper deck and install a flat roof, reducing capactiy by several thousand seats. Several thousand crappy seats. In the years leading up to that removal, more outfield seats were added (filling in the previous bullpen caverns in the power alleys,) some seats were added allong the first-and-third base lines, and seats directly behind home plate were upgraded. Yes, The Cell currently has 3,706 fewer seats than when it was originally built. But it now holds roughly the same amount of patrons as Wrigley, thanks to this year's addition of 2,216 seats in the Bud Light Bleachers. So the "easier sell-out" argument for reduced capacity holds about as much water as a sieve. The aesthetic improvements to Comiskey/The Cell over the past 5 years have been nothing short of fantastic, turning a stadium that was outdated a year after it was built into a first-rate facility, albeit it without the popular faux-retro charm. Anyone who says with a straight face that "New Comiskey is a dump" simply hasn't been in it.

Of course, The Cell also lacks the lure of the neighborhood. Bridgeport certainly is no Wrigleyville, and it never will be. Lots of new housing has gone up in the past decade, and the Robert Taylor Homes across the Ryan are almost completely down, with the promise of mixed income developments to follow. All that said, no matter what degree of redevelopment, Bridgeport will never hold all of the allure of the campustown-like atmosphere of Wrigleyville. But if you honestly measure your team's superiority by the neighborhood which surrounds its ballpark, your sports values are seriously off-kilter.

Also, meangreen, for the sake of yourself, please stop. You make yourself more foolish each time you post on this thread. I have friends who are Cub fans - real Cub fans - and we give each other all kinds of crap year in and year out, regardless of our teams' current play on the field. But I'll let you in on a little secret, meangreen. Real Cub fans hate your kind. They hate how you've turned the park of their childhood into an overcrowded tourist trap. They hate how, as Cub fans, they are far too often lumped in with the scenester dopes who only realize there's a game happening when it's their turn to throw back a home run ball (much as Sox fans hate getting lumped in with some drunken, shirtless douchebag from Alsip who makes his living lifting car stereos.) They hate how they have to go to scalpers for tickets because people who wouldn't know a backstop from their backside have gobbled up all the seats. Some of them even hope for a good, solid stretch of losing to chase all of the tourists away, just so they can see a game in person. Maybe there's something to be said for watching a game with 20,000 people who love baseball, as opposed to 40,000 who like beer and boobs. (Not to shun either of those two things, mind you.) Those who live in the area aren't exactly fond of all the pee and puke in their alleyways and on their lawns 81 days a year, either.

As for the argument that the Sox' current identity is somehow inferior, uh, sorry. This marks the 16th season of the Sox' current look, which probably outlasts anything else they've ever worn by a good 10 years. They still have a color scheme unique in MLB (no matter how hard the Rockies are trying to shun purple lately.) There's really no aspect of their logo or uniform package that couldn't last well on into the future. It's a clean, classic look that's built to last. What's wrong with any of that?

As for this year's Sunday throwbacks, I side with everyone else here - that they'll be making their first showing on May 21st. Unless the Sox are on a tear in the pinstripes at the time - in that case, who knows.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hey, sports logos: the White Sox identity isn't that bad, considering some of the other stuff they've trotted out in the past, but I gotta say, all that black and grey can look pretty dismal at times, especially on an empty day at Comiskey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, but you'd need it for a belligerent drunk taking a swing at your head before he runs on the field to beat up a coach

It's possible. But most likely, you will need the hardhat to avoid drunken Cubs fans wh spend big bucks on tickets, parking, and beer to root against a team they "couldn't care less about".

Incase you forgot, Eric Dybas, the clown that attacked the umpire, was a Cubs fans. He was getting piss drunk at Wrigley all day, and came over to the Comiskey (at the time) for a nightcap. It is just one of the many crime committed by drunken Cubs fans at Sox park. Foremost was a Cubs fan breaking the bat off the Minnie Minoso statue last year. Of course, the Tribune said a "fan" did it, failing to admit it was a group of young Cubs fans. On the other hand, when ivy was dead at Wrigley around the crosstown series several years back, the Trib ran a story directly implicating a "Sox fan" for vandalism. They later figured out it was their own groundscrew who killed it, but there was no retraction.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Okay, okay, children, let's get some things straight here.

The White Sox did recently remove 8 rows from their upper deck and install a flat roof, reducing capactiy by several thousand seats. Several thousand crappy seats. In the years leading up to that removal, more outfield seats were added (filling in the previous bullpen caverns in the power alleys,) some seats were added allong the first-and-third base lines, and seats directly behind home plate were upgraded. Yes, The Cell currently has 3,706 fewer seats than when it was originally built. But it now holds roughly the same amount of patrons as Wrigley, thanks to this year's addition of 2,216 seats in the Bud Light Bleachers. So the "easier sell-out" argument for reduced capacity holds about as much water as a sieve. The aesthetic improvements to Comiskey/The Cell over the past 5 years have been nothing short of fantastic, turning a stadium that was outdated a year after it was built into a first-rate facility, albeit it without the popular faux-retro charm. Anyone who says with a straight face that "New Comiskey is a dump" simply hasn't been in it.

Of course, The Cell also lacks the lure of the neighborhood. Bridgeport certainly is no Wrigleyville, and it never will be. Lots of new housing has gone up in the past decade, and the Robert Taylor Homes across the Ryan are almost completely down, with the promise of mixed income developments to follow. All that said, no matter what degree of redevelopment, Bridgeport will never hold all of the allure of the campustown-like atmosphere of Wrigleyville. But if you honestly measure your team's superiority by the neighborhood which surrounds its ballpark, your sports values are seriously off-kilter.

Also, meangreen, for the sake of yourself, please stop. You make yourself more foolish each time you post on this thread. I have friends who are Cub fans - real Cub fans - and we give each other all kinds of crap year in and year out, regardless of our teams' current play on the field. But I'll let you in on a little secret, meangreen. Real Cub fans hate your kind. They hate how you've turned the park of their childhood into an overcrowded tourist trap. They hate how, as Cub fans, they are far too often lumped in with the scenester dopes who only realize there's a game happening when it's their turn to throw back a home run ball (much as Sox fans hate getting lumped in with some drunken, shirtless douchebag from Alsip who makes his living lifting car stereos.) They hate how they have to go to scalpers for tickets because people who wouldn't know a backstop from their backside have gobbled up all the seats. Some of them even hope for a good, solid stretch of losing to chase all of the tourists away, just so they can see a game in person. Maybe there's something to be said for watching a game with 20,000 people who love baseball, as opposed to 40,000 who like beer and boobs. (Not to shun either of those two things, mind you.) Those who live in the area aren't exactly fond of all the pee and puke in their alleyways and on their lawns 81 days a year, either.

As for the argument that the Sox' current identity is somehow inferior, uh, sorry. This marks the 16th season of the Sox' current look, which probably outlasts anything else they've ever worn by a good 10 years. They still have a color scheme unique in MLB (no matter how hard the Rockies are trying to shun purple lately.) There's really no aspect of their logo or uniform package that couldn't last well on into the future. It's a clean, classic look that's built to last. What's wrong with any of that?

As for this year's Sunday throwbacks, I side with everyone else here - that they'll be making their first showing on May 21st. Unless the Sox are on a tear in the pinstripes at the time - in that case, who knows.

I heard those seats in the Cell were kinda weird and built at a weird angle and getting to them was steep it was kinda uncomfortable and if you didnt like heights it was kinda scary seat. Is that true?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I heard those seats in the Cell were kinda weird and built at a weird angle and getting to them was steep it was kinda uncomfortable and if you didnt like heights it was kinda scary seat. Is that true?

Not true. The upperdeck is steep, yes. However, it is no steeper than the upperdecks in any of the new parks sans PNC. That is just how it works now. Ballparks are built with lots of luxury boxes, and they push the upper decks higher, which require them to be steeper.

The upperdeck is higher than many other parks, but that is only because the playing field is not underground. All the new parks that I know of have the playing fields underground. However, the seats are the same distance from the field as in the Cell.

USCF's upperdeck always LOOKED steeper than the other parks because of its design. The upperdeck is set back over the skyboxes/pressbox, and there is no overhang. On top of that, the entrances were inexplicably put at the bottom of the upperdeck. All the other new parks have the entrances in the middle of the upperdeck, which means people only have to walk up half as far to get to the highest seats. It makes it seem steeper, but it really isnt. The UD at the cell is 1000x times better with the new roof/less seats. It is very intimate and cozy with the new roof, and the jog up is a lot less daunting, because the extra rows don't add to the illusion of steepness.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived