Amare #1

this just pisses me of if Amare cared about his fans he would keep his number and not make all this people go out buy his new jersey. Next thing you know MJ's gonnas want all his new jersey to have 32 on it.

this just pisses me of if Amare cared about his fans he would keep his number and not make all this people go out buy his new jersey. Next thing you know MJ's gonnas want all his new jersey to have 32 on it.

Well, now all the Stoudemire jerseys are throwbacks so it's not all bad. What's Dijon Thompson gonna do? He's already #1. I'm guessing that Stoudemire will pay him to be #1. This might just be me, but I think that most players who are #1 are selfish. Can you guys think of any guy, that's the ultimate team player who wear's #1 off the top of your head?

this just pisses me of if Amare cared about his fans he would keep his number and not make all this people go out buy his new jersey.  Next thing you know MJ's gonnas want all his new jersey to have 32 on it.

Well, now all the Stoudemire jerseys are throwbacks so it's not all bad. What's Dijon Thompson gonna do? He's already #1. I'm guessing that Stoudemire will pay him to be #1. This might just be me, but I think that most players who are #1 are selfish. Can you guys think of any guy, that's the ultimate team player who wear's #1 off the top of your head?

Well, the Blues number 1, Curtis Sanford projects to be our starter in net next year (or at least compete in training camp for it), and he's been a quiet, hard working guy who'd produced pretty well. I don't know if I can call him "the ultimate team player", but he's not what I'd call selfish.

Ozzie Smith always seemed like he was probably quite a team player (I wasn't old enough to really pay attention during most of his career), but now post retirement he's showing a bit of a selfish side.

Oh my G-d! Players are changing numbers at an alarming rate! Save the children! SAVE THE CHILDREN!!

Kobe Bryant and Amare Stoudemire are the only two "named" players changing their uniform number next year, it'll be okay.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I remember a few years back Ron Artest said he was going to change his number every year to honor an NBA legend. I believe he went from 23 for Jordan to 91 for Rodman -- I'm not sure if he gave up on that, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

I remember a few years back Ron Artest said he was going to change his number every year to honor an NBA legend. I believe he went from 23 for Jordan to 91 for Rodman -- I'm not sure if he gave up on that, though.

Actually the rule is commonly referred to as the Artest Rule in the league office because his constant switching forced them to institute it.

This might just be me, but I think that most players who are #1 are selfish. Can you guys think of any guy, that's the ultimate team player who wears #1 off the top of your head?

I think it's just you. For certain sports, #1 is reserved for certain positions. I wore it when I played in goal, because at the time the only other choice was #0, which is a bad idea. I don't think it made me selfish.

On the other hand, some sports legislate that you can't wear #1 - like international basketball, and until recently, college basketball. So is Tracy McGrady any less selfish if he can't wear #1 for the national team? Historically, when baseball started using numbers, #1 was reserved for the manager - which would explain the retired #1s of Fred Hutchinson (Reds mgr.) and Billy Meyer (Pirates), as well as other managerial #1s like Rabbit Maranville (Braves)

Unselfish #1s in the past include Richie Ashburn, Ozzie Smith, Pee Wee Reese and Lou Whitaker (baseball), and Glenn Hall, Bernie Parent, Eddie Giacomin, Jacques Plante and Terry Sawchuk (hockey). That's not a complete list, just what I can come up with now.

It's awfully hard to paint the whole world with such broad strokes...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived