MLB: Underarm gussets for summer?

VitaminD

I caught the Phils/Nats game from CBP last night on TV. It looked like the Phillies had all-new uniforms with special underarm panels made of what could've been a mesh-like material. (See the picture of Brett Myers below.)

brettmyers20060530.jpg

For the record, yesterday was the first day all year it cracked 90 degrees in Philadelphia. To the best of my knowledge, the Phillies never had these, nor any other MLB team. The Nationals wore their regular road grays.

A few questions about these:

- is this going to be implemented leaguewide or on a team-by-team basis? Like I said, the Nationals didn't have special panels on their roadies.

- did the Phillies have a choice? It's one thing for a starting pitcher, but I know Charlie Manuel had underarm gussets on his jersey, and he wasn't breaking a sweat. I can't think it was a customization job.

- who decides when it's hot enough to bust these out? I can't remember seeing this when the Phillies played on the hotter-than-Hell AstroTurf at the Vet... so why now?

Anyone else who's seen this or knows something about it, let it fly - thanks in advance.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

This looks like it could be one of the new "Cool Base" jerseys Majestic has come out with - check around the MLB online shop and you can find some.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

the new CoolFlo jersey perhaps?

Yep, the Cubs also wore them last night. According to Cubs announcer Len Kasper, each team was recently given the option to use the new model for one of their jerseys. Kasper said the Cubs chose their home whites.

And it's Cool Base. I made the same mistake also. CoolFlo are these new helmets...

Tejada-trot.jpg

Cool Base it is:

pMLB2-2764981dt.jpg

And from the description on shop.mlb.com:

The 2006 season brings an innovative jersey to the playing field! The Cool Base jersey provides temperature control to keep the wearer cool, dry and comfortable. These jerseys feature authentic decorations and will be worn on-field during hot game days. They feature a technologically advanced fabric with stretch-mesh gussets for the ultimate in cool performance comfort.

Moose

i've got no problems with the cool-base jerseys...

i might have to pick one up.

i thought it was going to die last 4th of july, wearing my red sox jersey at the ballpark in arlington... or ameriquest blah blah whatever they renamed it to.

up north, they're useless... but down here, i think it's a great idea :)

i've got no problems with the cool-base jerseys...

i might have to pick one up.

i thought it was going to die last 4th of july, wearing my red sox jersey at the ballpark in arlington... or ameriquest blah blah whatever they renamed it to.

No no, it is still the Ballpark in Arlington. Nobody but the PA guy, anouncers, and the Texas Rangers call it but anything else.

As for staying on topic, meh... as long as I can't pick it out from five feet away.

Hardly. I don't know about Boston, but I've lived in Houston and Chicago, and Chicago can get just as nasty.

Anyways, I don't see any issues with the jerseys. The gussets are pretty tastefully placed and most of the time baseball players have their armpits closed.

Hardly. I don't know about Boston, but I've lived in Houston and Chicago, and Chicago can get just as nasty.

Anyways, I don't see any issues with the jerseys. The gussets are pretty tastefully placed and most of the time baseball players have their armpits closed.

Yep, I can attest to Chicago's summer heat and humidity. Personally, I was working in a fractional-horsepower gearmotor factory that week (my summer job from college), between the two heat tunnels on the paint line in an un-airconditinned factory. Simply brutal...

Moose

Hmmm...

Philadelphia averages over 20 (sometimes reaching high 30s) +90 degree days per Summer (with heat indexes near if not over 100.) I don't have the exact stats (or know where to get them) but trust me, it gets hot as heck here (and in a lot of "northern" cities.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hmmm...

Philadelphia averages over 20 (sometimes reaching high 30s) +90 degree days per Summer (with heat indexes near if not over 100.) I don't have the exact stats (or know where to get them) but trust me, it gets hot as heck here (and in a lot of "northern" cities.)

i don't have stats on texas, either... but i do know that it starts to be 90 degrees in march... and summer time, it's newsworthy if we don't hit 100.

but i'm just saying, northern fans may not enjoy them as much as southern fans... and i don't think anyone can argue that the south isn't generally warmer than the north.

when it comes to hockey, everyone talks about how it's too hot down here... but in baseball it's apparently no hotter ^_^

anyway, you guys completely took the point of my message wrong, and focused on about 4 words, instead. to summarize, i think they're a great idea... and if i went to more baseball games, i'd definately buy these instead of the regular.

if they'd sold these when i bought my red sox jersey, i would have gotten these instead... but now i've got a perfectly good sox jersey that's only a few years old, in perfect shape.

Archived