A Realization

SEMOSTLfan

Now I know that the ridiculous state of coporate sponsorship has been well documented on these boards but tonight I think we may have hit a new low.

As I was watching game 1 of the NBA Finals I was thinking to myself....how pathetic is it that the two teams playing in the NBA finals have the same corporate sponsor on their home arenas meaning that the names of said arenas only differ by one word.

I know its nothing earth shattering but just a thought I had, figured I'd throw it out there for everyone to give their two cents.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

I think that fact has been mentioned on the boards and in the media already. You may call it pathetic, I just call it a pure coincidence. I guess it wouldn't be as pathetic had the Suns made the final. US Airways vs. American Airlines. But we have had the Bulls and the JAzz (United vs. Delta)

I saw, I came, I left.

It really is not crazy. If the spopnsorship eliminates cost overruns to be paid by taxpayers (or any cost for that matter), it is fine. If it is re-named after the fact, you still call it by the original name, don't you? This is coincedence. DEAD is correct.

How is this any different than the 1993 Stanley Cup Championship when both the Kings and the Canadiens played in an arena call the Forum? In LA you had the The Great Western Forum and Montreal was the Montreal Forum. Both arenas widely went by just the one word of Forum.

And lest we forget, in 1961 the Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Angels (not of Anaheim yet) both played their home games in Wrigley Field.

how did that happen? :therock:

The Cubs played at Wrigley Field in Chicago and the Angels played at Wrigley Field in LA.

Wrigley Field in LA I believe was built by the son of the Cubs owner. The one in LA was nearly identical to the one in Chicago. It was smaller and without bleachers though.

Well you forget LA was not in the majors yet and Wrigley Field LA was actually a minor league stadium for the Cubs Minor League Team. BTW Wrigley Field LA was where Home Run Derby was made.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well you forget LA was not in the majors yet and Wrigley Field LA was actually a minor league stadium for the Cubs Minor League Team. BTW Wrigley Field LA was where Home Run Derby was made.

Shows how much sports has changed since then. On Home Run Derby the players kept the money they won themselves. Now if you did a show like that the players would have to play ofr Charity becasue of their annual salaries.

I can think of three European soccer teams sponsored by Emirates Airlines, at least two sponsored by Vodafone, and many others sponsored by similar companies...and that's without research.

*shrug* I grew up watching a lot of professional auto racing, where sponsors in some cases are as iconic as drivers, cars or teams, and now I'm a big soccer fan. I guess I'm number to sponsors than most American sports fans.

harperdc.gif

i think there's a bigger complaint to be had than arena sponsorship...

i'm tired of commercials during sporting events. that's where soccer wins with me. just put ads on the top corner of the screen, and ads on the boards... if we have to, put ads on the jerseys... but how about we DON'T take a 2 minute break every 10 minutes to sell me a razor. it's the damn nba finals.

we're delaying important sporting events to play commercials that most people ignore anyway.

that honestly has me upset. watching the world cup is a breath of fresh air.

commercials > soccer

Y'know, just STFU already. You really had nothing to add to this thread, and yet you added it anyway. Thanks for... well, for nothing.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I like it when, due to sponsorship of pre-game shows and such, you get such classic moments as this:

"It's the UPS pre-game show LIVE from FedEx Field!"

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Our place has gone from PacBell to SBC to AT&T..but I still and will always call it PacBell. Three names in it's 7th year of operation.

Riverfront Stadium was open for like 27 years when they changed it to "Cinergy," and not many people (as I recall) ever referred to it as that.

commercial breaks make seeing some basketball and football games in person draaaaaag ooooonnnnnn foooooooreeeeeeeeveeeeeeeer.

maybe basketball can do like ESPN does for MLS and the IRL, and go "side-by-side" during the timeouts? the NHL could do that very easily too.

harperdc.gif

Our place has gone from PacBell to SBC to AT&T..but I still and will always call it PacBell. Three names in it's 7th year of operation.

Riverfront Stadium was open for like 27 years when they changed it to "Cinergy," and not many people (as I recall) ever referred to it as that.

you're not the only one, here in DFW, for the most part, everbody still calls Ameriquest Field the Ballpark.

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

Archived