New Sabres Logo??

gbasalmon

I'm liking the sabre dimension as they are a better representation of an actual sabre. The only thing that seems"off" to me is the angle of the Buffalo on the main crest. I would say tilt him up just slightly (like 5 degrees). As it stands now, and this could be in relation to the motion lines, I see it as a "Buffalo floating in space" as opposed to a Buffalo charging forward. It's also wierd because I believe, as it stands now, the angle is more true to a live Buffalo.

That's all. Nice work as always.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JS- First your work on this has been great.

Lot of random thoughts but here goes- I'll take the 2003 work over this recent version. It may not be historically correct but the boldness of the "butterknives" is better in my opinion. The recent blades are too delicate- although w/ the "new" NHL some may feel that's appropriate. I find the 2003 buffalo to have a classic feel to it. The abstractness is a good thing in my opinion, Think of it as postmodern instead of abstract if that helps. The new version w/ the motion lines and third dimension emphasis is becoming "cartoony" (reebok might prefer it?-JK) looks like something from a 70's scooby doo episode. As an example of cartoony compare your classic illustrated sabre to the one used by the Cleveland Caveliers- theirs appears to be taken straight from saturday morning tv. I prefer the left facing buffalo in tribute to the original. The partial red eye seems fitting as red was added to the original, besides the total red looks demonic. I think the proportion of white to blue is better in the 2003 version, reducing the white on the blue background contributes to a frailness that I sense in the new one. Lastly the shoulder/secondary is a no for me, the implied "B" is too cute for my taste- your original s_01 is still my preference.

Just my opinion but I think you nailed this in 2003. You can keep tinkering but as happens in design, sometimes things don't get better than your original concept.

My question to you- does something prohibit you from selling merchandise with your designs on it. It would give the slug a run I think- at least locally.

Though I like the thicker swords, what you say does make sense, and I think the new Buffalo is a better "modernization" of the old buffalo.

I think the best idea for the shoulder logo would be the S with the Sabre through it. Similar to the B logo of old but again emphasizing the Sabres aspect a bit more, plus it looked nice :)

Hey js,

I hadn't spent much time comparing the 2003 stuff to your newer updates, but now that I've taken some time to look at them, I think the 2006 logo you have up there is a vast improvement. For one, I feel like the white buffalo in the 2003 design is some funky D&D monster. By which I mean, it seems to be floating rather than charging, and the lack of a mouth makes it seem kind of unnatural. It's like a monsterous buffalo or something. Plus, he's WAY too big compared to his legs. The new buffalo is a lot more in proportion, and I like the head better, though I wouldn't say I was 100% in love with it yet. I'm not sure what it is... maybe the mouth is too close to the "beard," or maybe that it's the little notch that makes it a frown... I'm not sure. I like it better WITH a mouth, but I wouldn't say that mouth is 100% there yet.

Also, I'm torn on colors. I know vegas gold gets a bad rap, but without the blue for reference, the 2006 gold is kind of gross.

Now, of course, this is being totally nit-picky. In general, the thing is outstanding! I feel like a jerk even coming up with criticisms, because it's that good.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Local Buffalo radio WGR550 (www.wgr550.com to listen online) is hosting a show right now on the new logo.

Tune in.

Damn, I think I missed it. They're talking about other hockey things now. boo.

Nevermind... they're still talking about it, and they're making me physically ill.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

[ncognito' date=Tuesday, July 18th, 2006 - 13:57:59] Though I like the thicker swords, what you say does make sense, and I think the new Buffalo is a better "modernization" of the old buffalo.

I think the best idea for the shoulder logo would be the S with the Sabre through it. Similar to the B logo of old but again emphasizing the Sabres aspect a bit more, plus it looked nice :)

I agree with this up until the letter choice in the monogram. The "B" for Buffalo would make the better monogram IMO and would fit in with the usual sports convention better.

As for the thicker swords, I'm torn - the original swords were almost too thin to be sabres. Thicker swords look better, but I understand why you'd want to be accurate and stay thinner.

No other real C&C - it's been said before. These are so unbelievably good the Sabres should be ashamed at what they went with in place of your work.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The only thing that seems"off" to me is the angle of the Buffalo on the main crest. I would say tilt him up just slightly (like 5 degrees). As it stands now, and this could be in relation to the motion lines, I see it as a "Buffalo floating in space" as opposed to a Buffalo charging forward. It's also wierd because I believe, as it stands now, the angle is more true to a live Buffalo.

Buffalo-o-o-o-o-o-os in Space?

I actually agree with this assessment... the other option would be to remove the motion lines, which I think are causing the perception of floating. The 2003 design doesn't suffer from lacking them, IMO.

The only thing that seems"off" to me is the angle of the Buffalo on the main crest.  I would say tilt him up just slightly (like 5 degrees).  As it stands now, and this could be in relation to the motion lines, I see it as a "Buffalo floating in space" as opposed to a Buffalo charging forward.  It's also wierd because I believe, as it stands now, the angle is more true to a live Buffalo.

Buffalo-o-o-o-o-o-os in Space?

I actually agree with this assessment... the other option would be to remove the motion lines, which I think are causing the perception of floating. The 2003 design doesn't suffer from lacking them, IMO.

See... I really thought it did suffer for the lack of motion lines. I still see the 2003 buffalo as just sort of bobbing up and down in mid air, not moving forward at all.

indians4.png

-Terry Pluto

Good point about the outline... with that in mind, the newer buffalo is stronger. The new motion lines really complete it too... they work both as a design element, AND as a nod to the original.

Without a doubt, the new primary is stellar. The secondary has had its weaknesses pointed, and I see heavy influence from that secondary logo the Bills almost released. I like some from of a sabre piercing a B as the secondary.

But again, you have now nailed the primary. No doubt about it the little bit of extra detail in the buffalo helps. Switching him to the more standard motion direction is a good advancement. And I for one like the thinner sabres a lot more. The old sabres which thicken very quickly scream of cartoonish. The thinner ones seem more dignified as well as realistic.

I don't have a problem with that silver outline, but I would like to see the logo on a navy and on a white background where that silver outline was not there.

I know you said it's to make sure there's an outline on any background, but the way I see it, there is a navy outline on any background. Just as that silver outline blends in if placed on a silver background, the navy outline just blends in when placed on a navy background. It's still there though. I'd just be curious to see it.

thanks again for all the feedback guys .. i'm really appreciating all of it .. and looking through it all now, i'm gonna go with a blend of the two faces .. the new one is too detailed and not given enough of a 'logo' treatment, while the old was too abstract and came off more monsterish than buffalo. I think the newer version i'll be putting together will be the right blend.

I'm going to offer some harsh criticism. It's better not to hold back. Hear me out and please don't take my critique too personally;

colours:

I hate silver in any form especially considering the Sabres want a return to the "blue and gold" concept. Silver is dated. Silver is so nineties it's not even funny. Resist the urge to add silver for detail.

The same thing can be said for "vegas gold". It's just a fad. It will look dated in 2 years and it really doesn't make this concept look better now IMO. To be perfectly honest I never liked the 2003 colours. There was no originality.

Use colours close to the original blue and gold (meaning yellow) and be sparse with the white. That may not sound original but it will look timeless. The best logos are simple, bold and use 3 or less colours.

the logo:

The 2003 logo is better (and really good), but there is room for improvement. You should focus on tweeking that.

You have way too much detail going on with this logo. The Buffalo should definately not be anything other than a single shade of white and your outlines should be bigger and faaaaar more BOLD. If you were to compare this logo with anything in major pro sports it would stick out like a sore thumb, not because it looked amatuer-ish but because it had too much detail and was not simplified enough.

Another problem I see is this obsession with "historical accuracy". Let's not get sooooo hung up on whether Sabres are thinner and other inane details. Who cares if the details aren't exactly right as long as it grabs your attention. Nobody in their right mind is going to waste their time to look up Cival War era sabers and compare them to a finished logo. Accuracy isn't important at all here. Whats important is to decide what design element need focus and how to achieve that with as few "strokes" as possible.

Summary:

I'd say you are about 85% there on a classic logo. You need to get more into the Sabres third jersey logo territory and out of illustration mode. Create with bigger outlines, less detail, and three classic colours and you will have a winner.

DEATH TO REEBOK

I'm going to offer some harsh criticism. It's better not to hold back. Hear me out and please don't take my critique too personally;

colours:

I hate silver in any form especially considering the Sabres want a return to the "blue and gold" concept. Silver is dated. Silver is so nineties it's not even funny. Resist the urge to add silver for detail.

Uh, what's a sabre? It's a sword. The blade is metal. What color? SILVER. I think they could change to green and purple but silver will still be a part of it somehow.

Archived