New Sabres Logo??

gbasalmon

I'm going to offer some harsh criticism. It's better not to hold back. Hear me out and please don't take my critique too personally;

colours:

I hate silver in any form especially considering the Sabres want a return to the "blue and gold" concept. Silver is dated. Silver is so nineties it's not even funny. Resist the urge to add silver for detail.

Uh, what's a sabre? It's a sword. The blade is metal. What color? SILVER. I think they could change to green and purple but silver will still be a part of it somehow.

I'm talking more about the silver outline and the silver detail in the Buffalo, it's unnecessary, but the fact that "swords are silver" is irrelevant for logo design anyways. You don't need to use silver in order to depict swords graphically. The original logo doesn't have a hint of silver in it anywhere so why would a modern update need it. The average person is intelligent enough to recognize them by shape alone.

DEATH TO REEBOK

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to offer some harsh criticism. It's better not to hold back. Hear me out and please don't take my critique too personally;

colours:

I hate silver in any form especially considering the Sabres want a return to the "blue and gold" concept. Silver is dated. Silver is so nineties it's not even funny. Resist the urge to add silver for detail.

The same thing can be said for "vegas gold". It's just a fad. It will look dated in 2 years and it really doesn't make this concept look better now IMO. To be perfectly honest I never liked the 2003 colours. There was no originality.

Use colours close to the original blue and gold (meaning yellow) and be sparse with the white. That may not sound original but it will look timeless. The best logos are simple, bold and use 3 or less colours.

the logo:

The 2003 logo is better (and really good), but there is room for improvement. You should focus on tweeking that.

You have way too much detail going on with this logo. The Buffalo should definately not be anything other than a single shade of white and your outlines should be bigger and faaaaar more BOLD. If you were to compare this logo with anything in major pro sports it would stick out like a sore thumb, not because it looked amatuer-ish but because it had too much detail and was not simplified enough.

Another problem I see is this obsession with "historical accuracy". Let's not get sooooo hung up on whether Sabres are thinner and other inane details. Who cares if the details aren't exactly right as long as it grabs your attention. Nobody in their right mind is going to waste their time to look up Cival War era sabers and compare them to a finished logo. Accuracy isn't important at all here. Whats important is to decide what design element need focus and how to achieve that with as few "strokes" as possible.

Summary:

I'd say you are about 85% there on a classic logo. You need to get more into the Sabres third jersey logo territory and out of illustration mode. Create with bigger outlines, less detail, and three classic colours and you will have a winner.

letterform ... first off, there is no harsh criticism, theres either honest and constructive, or theres personal critiques, which help no one .. so i appreciate the candor.

I agree with your comment on the general use of silver ... dated and nineties. But here its not really silver ... its a light grey. Which in this pallette and brand is only used in the most minor manner, and its really to simply to make it a less harsh white. I see it as not NEEDED in the swords, or in the buffalo itself ... but the additions of the shadow on the buffalo, and the sheen on the swords adds a dimensional quality that brings more life to the logo. I see it as simple and effective, without really adding a strong silver quality to the brand pallette at all.

as for the vegas gold ... I have strayed away from my use of that in my 2003 concepts. I found that the original sabres gold was a bit too yellow, but it only needed minor tweaking .. my 03 concepts were too much of a departure, and really, i think, a step i needed to take to realize it was too far.

if you look at the new stuff that i've posted on here, thats the pallette i'm using now.

The last thing is the 'historical accuracy' point. I'm not proposing that literal accuracy trumps visual appeal .. what i'm saying is that the visuals do not match at all what a sabre IS .. making them a bad symbolic representation of what their supposed to be. when illustrated as fat as they are, they appear much closer to butter knives than a sabre. my concern is for the visual impact of the logo representating what they are meant to be, not some anal concern for historical accuracy.

thanks for the feedback ... and everything is always considered .. i'm trying to update my site real soon so that i can get all my ideas up. also, just to note, the site is going to be located in a much better place thats easier to access ...

newblueandgold.com (as well as

thenewblueandgold.com)

Hey all .. just wanted to let you all know that I just relaunched my site ... i'm still going to be adding a bunch of new features to it .. such as forum sigs, avatars, and a few other things for showing support and rebelling against the slug.

but as for now .. i just had enough time today to get this thing built.

The New Blue and Gold Project

Hey all .. just wanted to let you all know that I just relaunched my site ... i'm still going to be adding a bunch of new features to it .. such as forum sigs, avatars, and a few other things for showing support and rebelling against the slug.

Very nice. I noticed that your petition has been getting some action, too. Hopefully it'll make an impact.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

js those are beautiful man. Great work.

baltimoreravens.png

I saw it reported on www.sabrefans.com that the Sabres Organization will be holding a press conference at 4 p.m. EST Today (7/27/06) concerning the new uniforms. Stay tuned.

Sabres.com is reporting that as well...

Managing Partner Larry Quinn will address the media at 4 p.m. today during a press conference concerning the team's uniform for the upcoming season.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Oh my. Might this be Internet activism at work? Might the Sabres have come to their senses? Might the slug have been a terrific, awful hoax? Might the Sabres go through with it and turn off a large swath of their fan base?

Stay tuned!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

yeah, my guess is they figured everyone has seen the slug, so why prolong the agony. Just get it over with while there's still some interest. By September, everyone will have not only seen the slug, but will have forgotten about it, and it will be a non-story by then.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Oh my. Might this be Internet activism at work? Might the Sabres have come to their senses? Might the slug have been a terrific, awful hoax? Might the Sabres go through with it and turn off a large swath of their fan base?

Stay tuned!

I don't it will be because of the internet petition. It would have more to do with news reports one how much the leaked logo is hated. That's just public humiliation over a mass media outlet where as an internet petition is something most fans won't ever see.

That is if they are ditching it. Right now that might be near impossible to do because of the NHL rules regarding team id.

The sabres.com page only uses the alternate "B" logo that is supposed to be recolored and no buffalo head or crossed sabres mark. Is this an indication of anything?

They have used it that on there site for a while. Also the new B logo is slightly different from that one.

The sabres.com page only uses the alternate "B" logo that is supposed to be recolored and no buffalo head or crossed sabres mark. Is this an indication of anything?

It has been that way pretty much all season. When I saw the leaked logos I thought "a ha... that's why they used that design on the website." Also, I think the current regieme kind of distanced themselves from the angry goat head. But yeah... it's been that same design all season.

indians4.png

-Terry Pluto

I heard Larry Quinn on the radio before the press conference. The big news is that the team is going to wear their old blue jersey as a third jersey this season. He said it would be the old royal blue this season, but would eventually be darkened to the slug colors. I'm pretty sure one time he said that this was a reaction to the reaction that the slug got and then later said they were planning it all along.

He finally owned up to the Buffaslug, btw, but he said that some details were missing and the jerseys were wrong.

It has been that way pretty much all season. When I saw the leaked logos I thought "a ha... that's why they used that design on the website." Also, I think the current regieme kind of distanced themselves from the angry goat head. But yeah... it's been that same design all season.

SabreGuy: you are absolutely right, the organization has purposely tried to distance itself from the "goathead" over the past year. I heard that exactly from the folks at Rbk, that's why as your epiphany stated, the Sabres were only using the B-sword on the site, good catch.

have any of you seen this site I like the Logos and uniforms tell we what you think

http://www.celsiusdesign.net/sabres/logos.html

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that you haven't read a single thing in this thread before now.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived