New Sabres Logo??

gbasalmon

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True.... I've never been in the logo design business, so I don't know how everything works, but how often do major league teams develop their new identities from work they come across on the Internet or work that was sent in to them unsolicited by amateur designers? I can't think of an example, but then again, I wouldn't really know.

not be sensitive about this ... but i'm not an 'amateur designer' ... i've been doing this for a number of years now, and for a number of high profile clients .. and the Sabres were well aware of this. They knew i was not just some fan with a copy of photoshop.

Not really relavent or significant but just something I found today (logo at top).  I'm pretty sure its just a bull but it does have some sluggish qualities.

link: http://www.cmcmarkets.com/

that is a pretty damn interesting find .. and i have to say, its far superior to that of the Sabres slug. This one clearly has a sense of perspective with the bull coming out at you. Looking at it closely, i would actually go as far to say that the illustrator or designers involved in the Sabres logo creation were aware of this logo and trying to cop it without copping it.

trying to cop it without copping it.

Care to elaborate on what the hell you mean by that?

I think he's trying to say that the similarities are too great for it to just be a coinsidence. They probably were aware of that design, and without copying it directly, incorporated most of the elements in to their design.

At least that's how I read it.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

True.... I've never been in the logo design business, so I don't know how everything works, but how often do major league teams develop their new identities from work they come across on the Internet or work that was sent in to them unsolicited by amateur designers? I can't think of an example, but then again, I wouldn't really know.

not be sensitive about this ... but i'm not an 'amateur designer' ... i've been doing this for a number of years now, and for a number of high profile clients .. and the Sabres were well aware of this. They knew i was not just some fan with a copy of photoshop.

I certainly wasn't aiming to offend and don't put you in the category of just another guy with Photoshop.... What I was trying to ask was: A) Did the Sabres solicit your work (if that's the way it's normally done, again, I don't know) and B) Has a precedent ever been set of teams "running across" re-designed logos for their teams (whether these designs were sent in to the front office or someone in their offices just happened across them on the Internet)?

• 2 weeks later...

Since this thread's been quiet for over a week, thought I'd resurrect it (for the last time?) by mentioning that I was at a backyard barbecue with an upper-level Sabres official recently, and I took a couple of minutes to quiz them about the slug.

The person echoed Larry's sentiments about how it "looked good as a whole package, not just the logo" (to which my comment that that meant it wasn't a good logo fell on deaf ears) and the uniforms will be well-received - eventually. They got me to admit that the red-and-black had to grow on me, and I don't mind them now (after a decade) and these'll be the same way.

Short of revealing too much, I was told that on at least one of the jerseys (the blue I think) the slug was coupled with the word, "SABRES", and there was also a version with the word "BUFFALO" as well, though they couldn't recall if the latter one was going to be used or not.

To the best of their recollection, the home version was just the 2-color blue-and-gold while the road was the expected white-blue-and-gold -- no real revelations here, though it was satisfying in a way to know that they weren't slipping in any goofy accent colors.

They also said the center ice logo will be replaced with the slug and they were still trying to determine what to do with the Jumbotron logo (since the snorting smoke effect doesn't really work with the slug).

This is pretty much all I can recall about the conversation and since I'm not a designer, I can't even envision how the unis will look with workmarks combined with the slug. And with that, I ask any of the amazing designers on this board to see if they can bash anything together, while the one-month countdown begins before this whole line of discussion becomes moot (not that it already isn't...)

Since this thread's been quiet for over a week, thought I'd resurrect it (for the last time?) by mentioning that I was at a backyard barbecue with an upper-level Sabres official recently, and I took a couple of minutes to quiz them about the slug.

The person echoed Larry's sentiments about how it "looked good as a whole package, not just the logo" (to which my comment that that meant it wasn't a good logo fell on deaf ears) and the uniforms will be well-received - eventually. They got me to admit that the red-and-black had to grow on me, and I don't mind them now (after a decade) and these'll be the same way.

Short of revealing too much, I was told that on at least one of the jerseys (the blue I think) the slug was coupled with the word, "SABRES", and there was also a version with the word "BUFFALO" as well, though they couldn't recall if the latter one was going to be used or not.

To the best of their recollection, the home version was just the 2-color blue-and-gold while the road was the expected white-blue-and-gold -- no real revelations here, though it was satisfying in a way to know that they weren't slipping in any goofy accent colors.

They also said the center ice logo will be replaced with the slug and they were still trying to determine what to do with the Jumbotron logo (since the snorting smoke effect doesn't really work with the slug).

This is pretty much all I can recall about the conversation and since I'm not a designer, I can't even envision how the unis will look with workmarks combined with the slug. And with that, I ask any of the amazing designers on this board to see if they can bash anything together, while the one-month countdown begins before this whole line of discussion becomes moot (not that it already isn't...)

No accent colours? Then why the hell is grey in the logo? That makes it even worse.

So they didn't mention what kind of striping the jersey will have? Wasn't it supposed to have something "no other team has"?

All I can report is what this person said. No accent colors in the actual jersey (and I'm assuming they weren't considering the splash of grey in the slug itself). This 2 and 3 color motif echoes the designs of the original unis.

I did ask about Larry's "it'll have something no other team has" comment and they looked at me like I had two heads.

Just as I was asking about the striping pattern - whether it would be traditional NHL-style ring stripes or have the angled tiger-stripes (like the Sabres' red-and-blacks have), the person got up to get another beer and the conversation came to a premature conclusion.

Some small part of me hopes they were lying and really had no clue what they were talking about or else were just blowing smoke my way cause they were sick of discussing the issue, though with my luck, that's probably not the case and we're indeed stuck with this monstrosity. Oh well....

So, is the general feeling that there is a wordmark that is going to be on the actual jersey?

And it may look like this? (It popped up a few months ago, I dont remember if it was posted here):

SabresWordmark.jpg

It might look good on the front of the jersey....

Less than a month until we find out...

(and besides, i just can't wait for hockey season to start up again)

So, is the general feeling that there is a wordmark that is going to be on the actual jersey?

And it may look like this? (It popped up a few months ago, I dont remember if it was posted here):

SabresWordmark.jpg

It might look good on the front of the jersey....

Less than a month until we find out...

(and besides, i just can't wait for hockey season to start up again)

Someone "in the know" mentioned that the wordmark would be a modified version of Bank Gothic. I do believe that there wordmark is what we folks call Bank Gothic. It'll probably look something like that, then.

So remember that statement by Larry Quinn that the logo leaked was "not the full logo, but only a part of it? Well, we've got some new developments...

Apparently a user over at SabresFans.com ordered a Black and Red sabres hat from the official store at NHL.com. However, when it came it the mail, this is what she got:

df0d449b23a9742fa39b61f0cf39b800.jpg

878ea6dafcf06097ce598eb91214d6fc-.jpg

68d76f800666e7bb54225151e43f955c-.jpg

So, thats gonna be it.

To my knowledge, thats our first offical piece of merchandise.

Hmm, I wonder if I should take a chance and order that hat. I wonder if I'd get stuck with ANOTHER red and black one, or if I'd get a "leaked" blue and gold. Hmmm...

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

The buffaslug by itself could still be a secondary logo. If the primary logo is the 'slug jumping over the team name, it really would look awkward on the back of that hat. So I wouldn't take this as proof that buffaslug alone = primary logo.

Mind you, this is at least proof that the slug still looks terrible!

Archived