New Sabres Logo??

gbasalmon

for anyone in buffalo, and interested ... I did an interview today with Scott Brown from WGRZ Channel 2 News, which will air tonight at 6pm. he said it'll also be available on the website after airing.

He's pretty supportive about the whole thing, and was mostly interested in my interactions with the Sabres Head Office. Him, as well as a few other media folks in Buffalo are being great about trying to help out with this whole thing, and make sure the Sabres aren't stuck with a :censored: logo.

Please keep us posted.

BTW the Buffalo Banana Slugs Hockey team have made it to myspace.com

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Egad, ENOUGH with all the friggin' buffaloes. The team is called the SABRES. Why is it most Buffalo teams have to feature a buffalo in their logo? Am I the only one that finds this annoying?

The current red alt logo is great, it's too bad they'll be dumping that one. I also like the B-sword and S-Sword logos, either of which would make a fine primary. Maybe the "B" could be worn on the road and the "S" at home. Just a thought.

How about a logo with the crossed swords but adding an interlocking "S" in the center? I think that would look great, if done properly. A "B" would work too but an "S" would look better.

The Yankees uniform logo is an NY for New York, not the Yankees. The Green Bay Packers logo is a G, not a packer. The Cincinnati Reds logo is a C for Cincinnati, not something red. The Chicago Bears logo is a C for Chicago, not a bear.

Is it so bad that Buffalo teams often use a Buffalo in their mascot? All things considered, it kind of makes sense.

Well of course some clubs don't have their nickname represented in their logo. Did I say none do? I don't think so. I wasn't talking about the Yankees, or anyone else. And you mention mostly BASEBALL teams, who more often than not use letters for logos! If you really must talk about other non-relevant clubs, look at it this way...

Along with the Yankees, what if the NY Giants had a big NY for a primary? And the Islanders had an NY. And the Rangers. And the Knicks. The Mets do, so they don't count. :) But if all that was true you'd get damn sick of the NY. There's only so many variations of an "NY." Plus it ignores the team names.

Most of Cincinatti's teams do not use a C. Most of Chicago's teams don't use a C. The Blackhawks have a C-tomahawk alternate logo, true. Do the Bulls? Do the Wolves? Do the White Sox? Sheesh.

My point is about Buffalo. Every logo concept, every logo design seems to FOCUS on the buffalo rather than the team nickname, and that is stupid. Plus they are usually white buffalos, which are pretty rare!

When we hear of a team called the "Sabres," we don't think of Cleveland or New York or Los Angeles... we think of Buffalo. There might have been a minor league team at some point called the Sabres, but chances are you think "Buffalo." We don't need to be reminded that strongly that the team is in Buffalo.

Huh?

Chicago C = cubs, bears

Cincinnati C = bearcats, reds

for anyone in buffalo, and interested ... I did an interview today with Scott Brown from WGRZ Channel 2 News, which will air tonight at 6pm. he said it'll also be available on the website after airing.

He's pretty supportive about the whole thing, and was mostly interested in my interactions with the Sabres Head Office. Him, as well as a few other media folks in Buffalo are being great about trying to help out with this whole thing, and make sure the Sabres aren't stuck with a :censored: logo.

Hey JS - Just saw your interview on WGRZ. Cool of you to take time to interview with Scott Brown.

It was pretty good. Scott also mentioned several times about how there were over 800 E-Mails to the station about the new logo, most of it negative. They're gonna take them all to the Sabres.

Do you think WGRZ and our E Mails will have any impact? Channel 2 has had stories about this for about 3 days in a row, and im sure Sabres management has taken notice. I wonder how they'll spin this when they unvail it....

Or maybe they'll pull a last mintue switch...

Just a side question - - How long do you have to wait to make a jersey change? For example - The Islanders when to the Gorton's Fisherman in 1995, but according to http://www.nhluniforms.com , in 1996/1997, they had both the Fisherman as well as the traditional logo. Did they change halfway through the season or something?

I'm just wondering if we did force a change, how soon it could occur....

Yeah, I saw that. You want white and swords!

Anyone got an address that we could send a letter to the Sabres about this?

sabresnewlogo.jpg

for anyone in buffalo, and interested ... I did an interview today with Scott Brown from WGRZ Channel 2 News, which will air tonight at 6pm.  he said it'll also be available on the website after airing.

He's pretty supportive about the whole thing, and was mostly interested in my interactions with the Sabres Head Office.  Him, as well as a few other media folks in Buffalo are being great about trying to help out with this whole thing, and make sure the Sabres aren't stuck with a  :censored: logo.

Hey JS - Just saw your interview on WGRZ. Cool of you to take time to interview with Scott Brown.

It was pretty good. Scott also mentioned several times about how there were over 800 E-Mails to the station about the new logo, most of it negative. They're gonna take them all to the Sabres.

Do you think WGRZ and our E Mails will have any impact? Channel 2 has had stories about this for about 3 days in a row, and im sure Sabres management has taken notice. I wonder how they'll spin this when they unvail it....

Or maybe they'll pull a last mintue switch...

Just a side question - - How long do you have to wait to make a jersey change? For example - The Islanders when to the Gorton's Fisherman in 1995, but according to http://www.nhluniforms.com , in 1996/1997, they had both the Fisherman as well as the traditional logo. Did they change halfway through the season or something?

I'm just wondering if we did force a change, how soon it could occur....

If I can recall right the Isles had the Fisherman 1 for one year. The next year was their 25th anniversary and halfway through the season they stuck the old logo as the crest (albeit with the current Navy), then they wore that for one more year then they switched back to what they wear now. So they basically wore the Gorton logo for 1 year and a half. I think part of the reason why they were able to stick the old logo back on the jersey is the kept it on as part of the logo package because of the teams 25th anniversary.

If this thing turns out to be similar to that fiasco the Sabres might do a similar thing and switch around the B-sword logo and the banana slug logo to where the B logo is the front crest of the uniform.

To answer your question I believe a team has to keep the same logos for 2 seasons.

COL.png

That is beautiful. Best one I think out of the whole bunch. Bravo.

It would really be something if a change results from all this publicity...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Here's the link to the story and video clip although the clip doesn't include JS's interview it just is some e-mail fans sent to the Sabres.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=39369

The funny thing at the end is one person who was for the new logo said it's just becasue everyone is against change. Which is wrong the fans wanted a change just don't like what it is being changed to.

I've unleashed the five-year-old inside of me with this.

buffalsugdeath1.png

i love the saint louis bird pooping on the buffaslug. At least that's what it looks like

The slugalo is an endangered species.

Whaddya mean the Buffaslug is endangered?

Has the negative reaction really reached the Sabres management?

Are they gonna ditch it?

I understand you may not be able to explicitly answer these rather pointed inquiries, but feel free to respond in your thinly veiled manner.

Here's to hoping they dump the crappy new logo!!!

I'm back in Buffalo for a few days, and everyone here is talking about the new logo. I've yet to find a person who likes it. In fact, nearly everyone hates it.

what a way of utilizing the focus groups. think maybe next time they should use the fans as a focus group for the next logo they plan on releasing?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

The slugalo is an endangered species.

Whaddya mean the Buffaslug is endangered?

Has the negative reaction really reached the Sabres management?

Are they gonna ditch it?

I understand you may not be able to explicitly answer these rather pointed inquiries, but feel free to respond in your thinly veiled manner.

Here's to hoping they dump the crappy new logo!!!

I'm sure it has reached the Sabres management. When the local news does reports on the amount of negative e-mail the team is getting about the new logo you can bet the fan reaction has reached management.

I don't if they ditched the logo but you can bet they are going to minimize it as much as they can and use the B logo more.

It's pretty clear how all of you feel about the buffaslug -- great name by the way. I'm in agreement that it's a terrible primary logo.

But would you feel the same way if it came out as a secondary to something more traditional? Just curious ...

To me, it feels more appropriate as a secondary shoulder logo. I prefer the B w/ the sword more, though.

This is what would work best for me:

Primary Logo: Current third jersey logo with Slabyk's new buffalo in the middle.

Shoulders: Current " B ", either silver with gold trim or gold with silver trim.

Get the Buffaslug out of there. Worst case scenario - the Buffaslug on one shoulder and the " B " on the other.

How's this sound to everyone?

Archived